Worst line up in the last 10 years?

Xeph1995

7 minutes ago, jparx said:

Says more about which acts are active and touring tbh. They can only book what's available. I don't look around at all the other festivals and feel they've really missed on someone. The only one that comes to my mind is LDR, but other than that they've booked the best of what was available to them IMO.

Foals, White Lies, The National, The Strokes, Bon Iver, Elbow, are all touring festivals in Europe this summer and at least three have new albums out this spring. Can't imagine Glastonbury have tried very hard if none of those show up. 

Edited by Anarion

1 minute ago, Anarion said:

Foals, White Lies, The National, The Strokes, Bon Iver, Elbow are all touring festivals in Europe this summer. Can't imagine Glastonbury have tried very hard if none of those show up

Really don't get what you (or anyone tbh) means when they say this.  Aside from the fact that Elbow would be classified by many as a repetitive and kinda dull booking a by a lot of people, the idea that bookers have just been sat with their feet up and occasionally throwing a dart at a board of names to pick their next booking is pretty ridiculous.

Just now, Quark said:

Really don't get what you (or anyone tbh) means when they say this.  Aside from the fact that Elbow would be classified by many as a repetitive and kinda dull booking a by a lot of people, the idea that bookers have just been sat with their feet up and occasionally throwing a dart at a board of names to pick their next booking is pretty ridiculous.

Also The National played last year...

Guess it depends in your taste in music. For me it is on the music side so far and by a fair distance. Its up there with the worst Ive seen this year and its a pretty poor year all round. 

Itll still be great though and theres enough ill go watch. Its mainly lacking any sort of big band I wanna see, moving much more to pop than Id like and out of the bands I do like, Ive seen most of them so not a lot Im all that excited about. 

That said theres loads of bands Id happily watch and theres more announcemnts to come, worse comes to the worse and no stand out acts I wanna see arise ill just get mashed up and go exploring areas I didnt get round to last time out. 

5 minutes ago, Anarion said:

Foals, White Lies, The National, The Strokes, Bon Iver, Elbow, are all touring festivals in Europe this summer and at least three have new albums out this spring. Can't imagine Glastonbury have tried very hard if none of those show up. 

The National played last year, Elbow are there basically every year and The Stokes have done nothing of note since before I went to university (which was not recently!!!).... And those are exactly the same criticisms that people are flinging at the band's that are on the list, so seems like just much of a muchness 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, jparx said:

Says more about which acts are active and touring tbh. They can only book what's available. I don't look around at all the other festivals and feel they've really missed on someone. The only one that comes to my mind is LDR, but other than that they've booked the best of what was available to them IMO.

Fair enough. And I enjoyed all three headliners bar Leftfield too!

Where are Hot Chip playing do you know? Sat night West Holts?

Just now, Phoenix Girl said:

Hot Chip - Saturday night on the Park. Think Neil said this.

Hot Chip in The Park? Feels a downgrade from West Holts, but this is exciting news if so.

I'm seeing them next month in London so if the clash is insane I may skip them but they're pretty close to a must-see for me. 

This is actually one of my favourite First Announcement line-ups for me for a while. Usually it's not until the full line-up that I find bands I like, but there's more than ever here already and I'm starting to worry about the clashes!

1 minute ago, Phoenix Girl said:

Hot Chip - Saturday night on the Park. Think Neil said this.

Ooh, that'll be good! To be fair, my Sat and Sun headliners would likely end up being two of Hot Chips, Chems and The Cure - and I'm seeing them all at Nos Alive anyway. Makes me feel a bit better about not getting a ticket.

13 minutes ago, Quark said:

Really don't get what you (or anyone tbh) means when they say this. Aside from the fact that Elbow would be classified by many as a repetitive and kinda dull booking a by a lot of people, the idea that bookers have just been sat with their feet up and occasionally throwing a dart at a board of names to pick their next booking is pretty ridiculous.

It wouldn't surprise me if Emily gave a strict order of prioritizing female artists this year, which I have no problem with, but considering I mostly listen to male rock bands, with few exceptions (Wolf Alice/Sigrid/Daughter), that quickly leaves the lineup a bit lacklustre in my personal opinion.

But as someone said, one man's trash is another man's treasure, and when I'm sitting on that green grass with my burrito and beer I will still have the time of my life, as I have every Glastonbury 

1 minute ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Hot Chip in The Park? Feels a downgrade from West Holts, but this is exciting news if so.

I'm seeing them next month in London so if the clash is insane I may skip them but they're pretty close to a must-see for me. 

Prob just wanted to do something different and egos not big enough to really care.

Wondering if Interpol's low placing on the poster makes them a Park headliner too.

Not too much on the first poster to get me excited - maybe have a look at The Cure, Kurt Vile and Sam Fender - but I'm quite happy to spend a lot of time at the Acoustic and Avalon stages. I'm sure there will be many others I'll get into as I listen to them before the festival. Almost certain to end up with horrible clashes as ever.

Eddie Vedder to headline Acoustic and Little Steven and the Disciples of Soul on Avalon and I'm happy. Not too much to ask?

1 minute ago, Anarion said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Emily gave a strict order of prioritizing female artists this year, which I have no problem with, but considering I mostly listen to male rock bands, with few exceptions (Wolf Alice/Sigrid/Daughter), that quickly leaves the lineup a bit lacklustre in my personal opinion.

But as someone said, one man's trash is another man's treasure, and when I'm sitting on that green grass with my burrito and beer I will still have the time of my life, as I have every Glastonbury 

I'd seriously recommend making a playlist of all the acts on the poster (or waiting for BSR to update his) and playing it on shuffle. That's a key part of Glastonbury for me, and many others on here. It's fine to come at the festival from a male rock band perspective, but give everything else a listen and see what grabs you. I've already discovered a few acts on there this morning!

I don't know about the worst in 10 years but it's really lacking last year i had about 15 odd bands I was exciting about seeing, this time round there is far less.. Chemical Brothers, Vampire Weekend, Kamash Washington, Idles, Son of Kemet, Jon Hopkins. Still doesn't matter lots more to come and being there is half the fun of it.

5 minutes ago, Anarion said:

And that's all good, of course the lineup isn't going to be everyone's cuppa.  I mean, the headliners aren't exactly filling me with excitement! It's the "not trying" bit that does my head in!! :D

Just adding it up and over the three times I've been I've seen between 8 and 15 artists each time ? shows how much it really doesn't make a difference to me at all. But hoping it puts enough of the first timers/bucket listers off that my chances in the resale are increased ?