Kate Tempest

kalifire

Tough one this clashwise

Kate Tempest is a definite for me, I'll be there 

I've never seen the Chemical Brothers live before and really have them down as a must see, but the Hot Chip being on straight after may be so tempting and difficult to walk away from! 

24 minutes ago, rosssss224 said:

I stand by that being the best gig ive ever seen. Something about all the Brexit in the air and general uncertainty. 

It was something special.  From the very first word to the last I was transfixed.  

I don't care if I miss part of The Chems or end up there alone, She is the top of the list of my saturday must sees.

Was gutted to have missed Kate Tempest last time after I watched it back. May also hang around for the Kurt Vile, KT, Hot Chip sets. Really want to see Chems but know I’ll not drag myself from Kate’s set. SVE was a definite for me but she’ll have to be missed; she’s at GM or EOTR so I’ll catch her there. 

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, ono said:

Did anyone get the iPlayer recording for Kate? Or could they before it goes? My laptop is kaput.

I have never cried so much at a gig.

Checked on iPlayer and it says it's available for 10 months. Hopefully your laptop will be fixed before then ?

40 minutes ago, dizzymoo said:

Checked on iPlayer and it says it's available for 10 months. Hopefully your laptop will be fixed before then ?

Phew! I thought they were all going on Tuesday! Thanks ?

29 minutes ago, Quark said:

Wasn't there for Kate and I'm not a fan of watching sets on iPlayer....but for those who were there how did it compare to the 2017 set?

Personally it more intimate and mellow. A factor of the Park stage atmosphere, the fact that the sun was going down, and also her playing the new album which seems mostly about falling in love. And she had just one other person on stage with her this time.

In 2017 she debuted People's Faces, and it was angry and emotional. This year she finished with the same song, but it felt warm and hopeful. Tears both times, but for different reasons.

• 1 year later...
18 hours ago, kemosabe said:

They’re always a highlight of the festival for me. Thinking bout that 2017 set still gives me goosebumps. Biting political critique and then barely a dry eye in the house at the end. I think they play pretty much every year though right? 

Yep they are always there. 

11 hours ago, OG said:

How do we refer to Kae in the past tense? Before they changed their name to Kae they were called Kate and identified as a female, so can/should we refer to them as "she" before they changed to Kae? 

What I've read is in relation to male->female or female->male transitions, rather than to intersex, which on the surface seems less dramatic/traumatic.  And in those cases, I believe the general etiquette is that the former name is a "dead name", so to "retcon" the new name in. The gist I've gleaned is that what's happened isn't really a change of gender, it's just an affirmation of the gender that was already felt, even if that affirmation involves very significant physical and lifestyle changes.  It would be a bit like talking about someone who has come out as gay as if they were straight before they came out.

However I have a suspicion that different people have different interpretations of their identity.  It seems very natural to me to talk about things you did in a prior part of your life with the name you used at the time, especially if you now feel disconnected from the life you used to live and the persona you used to portray.  But I really don't know.  If the eloquent Kae ever speaks on the matter, then we'll know more about their particular preferences.

So yeah, if in doubt, use "they". If that really feels awkward, then use the current name, unless that person has let you know otherwise.

If there are any trans/intersex people on the board, they could certainly give a better account.  All I know is from arguments on Twitter. 

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Upvote 5

I always like upvotes, but for once I'm a bit uncomfortable that someone not on the LGBTQI rainbow has so many votes, especially since I was talking about trans, not intersex/gender neutrality. Whilst it's not the responsibility of a community to educate those outside of it, I'm conscious that as a white, straight CIS, middle aged man, my voice is fairly well represented already and it would be great to amplify the voices of people with more direct experience of situations like Kae's.

38 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

No. There's no need for historical revisionism.

If you feel so strongly about using only current names, the only person stopping you is you.

Wow. When historical revisionism has primarily been used to sculpt and amplify narratives and structures that further marginalisation, I have no idea how comparing respecting someone's identity could be compared to historical revisionism. 

If you feel so strongly that 'dead names' should be preserved as historical evidence, the only person who needs to conduct some self-reflection is you. 

I would hate for a trans person to be browsing the thread only to discover that the forum's admin not only supports a culture of dead-naming that inevitably devalidates trans identity, but implies that it is immoral to make any effort to change our behaviours to be as inclusive as possible. 

Edited by teamcampesinos!
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 3