Kate Tempest

kalifire

Quite surprised to see Kate back on the line up for 2019, given she's not released anything since her last appearance.

But... her last appearance. Was anyone else there? My moment of the festival. Just stunning. Still gives me shivers watching it.

Everything was perfect about her last set; the stage, the performance, the crowd. She has to go further up this year, but where? Subbing Other? An early Pyramid set?

• Upvote 1

Oh yeah it was absolutely blistering.  If anything I'd be...interested to see if she can bottle that for a second run on consecutive appearances.

I mean, things have gone pretty well in the UK since 2017.  Not like she's going to be in a raging apoplectic fury or anything :D

Joking aside, I don't know if she'll have the same impact.  Think WH worked in '17 because it's a smaller stage.  If she ends up mid-afternoon on the Pyramid I worry that it'll all just get lost in background chatter

Edited by Quark
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, kalifire said:

Quite surprised to see Kate back on the line up for 2019, given she's not released anything since her last appearance.

But... her last appearance. Was anyone else there? My moment of the festival. Just stunning. Still gives me shivers watching it.

Everything was perfect about her last set; the stage, the performance, the crowd. She has to go further up this year, but where? Subbing Other? An early Pyramid set?

Never that high/big of a slot, like you say, nothing released for a while.

Sub John Peel I think

I was there and yes, her set was one of the most emotionally charged things I had ever witnessed at the farm.  The whole thing was perfection.  'People's Faces' at the end is just so beautiful and sincere, I watch that set every time my heart needs a top up.

I'd like to see her on the Pyramid, she's put in the work and definitely deserves it though it does kinda restrict what slot she would be able to get.

She'll probably be slighter higher on West Holts or early pyramid slot, either way I will be there!

• Upvote 1

I've seen her 5 times at Glastonbury alone and was on the front row at the 2017 West Holts set. She was amazing. She always is. I also met her by The Park Stage in 2016 and she gave me a hug as I was very down about the referendum result. If we could bottle her energy and her positivity then the world would be a better place. Her and Mavis Staples are 2 of my must see's. Bad ass women who manage to keep positive despite the relentless shit show of a world we live in. I wish I could be as positive as them. 

2 hours ago, kalifire said:

There were a few "moments" in that performance.  1:58 and 2:35 in  particular.

Totally agree with that.  For whatever strange reason, I had never seen nor heard her perform (live or otherwise) before her 2017 set.

I was completely new to her and was completely and utterly blown away.  Probably my highlight of the whole weekend and up there as one of the best performances I've seen in the 11 Glastonburys I've attended.  It was so emotional - angry, raw, upsetting and uplifting.  Usually I'm all about the music but Kate Tempest really demonstrated the awesome power of her words.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, joe_bee said:

Totally agree with that.  For whatever strange reason, I had never seen nor heard her perform (live or otherwise) before her 2017 set.

I was completely new to her and was completely and utterly blown away.  Probably my highlight of the whole weekend and up there as one of the best performances I've seen in the 11 Glastonburys I've attended.  It was so emotional - angry, raw, upsetting and uplifting.  Usually I'm all about the music but Kate Tempest really demonstrated the awesome power of her words.

This.  Exactly, word for word what @joe_bee said (except I've been 1 or 2 times more and saw a brief clip of her a couple of years earlier)

One of my highlights of 2017 was Kate’s set - People’s Faces at the end was something else. I remember looking round (at peoples faces!) after they finished and everyone around me was in a kind of stunned silence. Incredible

Interesting points above about whether she can do it again in a different, potentially bigger environment. I need to see where they end up placing her, as yes I really want to see her again but I don’t want to diminish the memory of that set. Here’s hoping ?

I did see that performance in 2017 and it was blistering, a real highlight of the festival. However my favourite performance was her at Festival Number 6 (believe it or not) in 2015. Back to back with Young Fathers; the adrenaline and emotion in that little tent was unbelievable. 

Will definitely see again this year 

9 hours ago, Wooderson said:

She's fab. Will do my best to catch her set. Missed the '17 to my chagrin.

Same for me; can’t remember where I was now. I’m sure she’s  got plenty of material to write about since last time. 

1 hour ago, H.M.V said:

Getting goosebumps just reading these posts and remembering that afternoon at West Holts. Totally rare emotion. Being surrounded by other people equally blown away. A proper Glastonbury moment. 

Reading posts like this make it worse. I’m in tears watching it back ❤️