day and stage

eFestivals

4 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

True, but Robbie Williams would pull a bigger crowd, doesn't mean he deserves the slot ?

It does mean that he's a bigger act, though. Regardless of whether we want it to be true or not.

Maybe Lauryn would only play if she were given the sub slot or Stormzy requested her or something, and George didn't mind playing earlier...

Still think it's incorrect mind but Lauryn's not exactly known as being easy going. Does she do many shows where she's not headlining?

1 minute ago, bombfrog said:

And this is why we can't have nice things.

I suspect her standing would be higher if she'd released 3 or 4 albums on the par of Miseducation. As it is, if she's subheadlining it's still basically on the strength of one 20 year old album.

Still - way better than The Killers headlining on the back of 3 minutes of music.

4 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

Interesting, astounding given his record and ticket sales that he'd be anything but sub. You could argue quite convincingly he's bigger than Friday's headliner.

I wonder if they'd announce it as some sort of special set (did they do that with Katy Perry?) or if he'll get longer than you normally would at that time of day. Remember in 2010 when they made a big thing about the opening acts (Hi Rolf), maybe something like that?

But I quite like the idea of moving away from the old each-act-is-"bigger"-than-the-previous-one formula. Particularly on the main stage.  I think it's good to mix it up and have big names throughout the day, as with so many stages it becomes too clashtastic by the evening.

Personally I'm looking forwards to Chemical Brothers' 2pm Other Stage headline slot.

Edited by uscore

9 minutes ago, uscore said:

But I quite like the idea of moving away from the old each-act-is-"bigger"-than-the-previous-one formula. Particularly on the main stage.  I think it's good to mix it up and have big names throughout the day, as with so many stages it becomes too clashtastic by the evening.

Personally I'm looking forwards to Chemical Brothers' 2pm Other Stage headline slot.

Yeah I quite like it. They've been doing it here and there for a while, and if they carry on it'll be a good tactic to use against agents that just want their acts to be as high up the biggest stage as possible, to be able to say "actually we had this act play at this time while they were shifting x amount of tickets".

But in reality it's to be able to have George Ezra this year but in a slot that is ever so slightly less similar to the headline slot he will have next time. :lol:

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah I quite like it. They've been doing it here and there for a while, and if they carry on it'll be a good tactic to use against agents that just want their acts to be as high up the biggest stage as possible, to be able to say "actually we had this act play at this time while they were shifting x amount of tickets".

But in reality it's to be able to have George Ezra this year but in a slot that is ever so slightly less similar to the headline slot he will have next time. :lol:

Yeah I've noticed a few tweaks here and there;  the 1975 switch with Chvrches so they could play as it got darker/before New Order being an obvious example.

I think the "you'll get a much bigger crowd earlier on" might work for agents too, the "legend slot" has probably helped with that.

I'm still not having Ezra as a headliner though.

49 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Not only is Lauryn Hill bigger than Ezra (are people somehow forgetting she was in The Fugees?) but a hip-hop set before Stormzy makes so much more sense. Sure, George is having a very good year but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

She's also Better than Ezra

7 minutes ago, uscore said:

Yeah I've noticed a few tweaks here and there;  the 1975 switch with Chvrches so they could play as it got darker/before New Order being an obvious example.

I think the "you'll get a much bigger crowd earlier on" might work for agents too, the "legend slot" has probably helped with that.

I'm still not having Ezra as a headliner though.

Yeah, it's all about the dream of a 'post-headliner' festival, where it's not all about the act who plays last on the biggest stage, and people are urged to check out the other not-necessarily-music areas at 10pm instead. In fact I think that might have been the motive in booking a headliner led by a cursed Ken doll.

Edited by dentalplan

I've not been to many European festivals, but I did Benicassim a few times around 2004 and it was great having a headliner and then more stuff on the main stage well past 1 am.   Pet Shop Boys followed by Kraftwerk was something I'll never forget.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yeah, it's all about the dream of a 'post-headliner' festival, where it's not all about the act who plays last on the biggest stage, and people are urged to check out the other not-necessarily-music areas at 10pm instead. In fact I think that might have been the motive in booking a headliner led by a cursed Ken doll.

Saw him off of The Killers getting owned by Andrew Neil earlier on.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I've seen probably 100 acts at Rock City, many of which I'd have in my top 20 list of favourite acts, and Ezra had that place rocking like nothing else.

If he plays in the afternoon he will draw an enormous crowd and he'll have them in the palm of his hand, maybe more so than any other act on that stage all weekend.

7 minutes ago, jparx said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again - I've seen probably 100 acts at Rock City, many of which I'd have in my top 20 list of favourite acts, and Ezra had that place rocking like nothing else.

If he plays in the afternoon he will draw an enormous crowd and he'll have them in the palm of his hand, maybe more so than any other act on that stage all weekend.

Yeah I'm looking forward to Vampire Weekend too.

Kinda ruled this out previously but given Neil's comments + it's a bit maybe a but far fetched but....

This is the bandsintown listing for Ms. Lauryn Hill

image.png.9d0c03ccade7aa586a52cea5eb10c919.png

If the time included was supposed to be 8pm, that would be the perfect time for her to be the sub and leave Stormzy with a 1 1/2 hour headline slot like Sheeran last year.

As it was a Sunday, the times were 30 mins early, but you get the idea:

image.png.a7dd2e00121d24c22740809148bdcf20.png

Edited by Mattymooz