Brexit at Glasto?

kalifire

3 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

Even if every labour mp (even the ones opposed fo a second referendum) had voted for it last night, it still would have lost. That would then have been good justification for taking second referendum off the table. 

if that's true then the even-bigger loss Labour caused by not supporting it has taken it off the table. :rolleyes: 

9 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

if that's true then the even-bigger loss Labour caused by not supporting it has taken it off the table. :rolleyes: 

The best chance of a 2nd referendum is that amendment that promises one as long as May's deal goes through. If that gets tabled and selected, it's possible it could happen. Outside of that? No chance.

21 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

Even if every labour mp (even the ones opposed fo a second referendum) had voted for it last night, it still would have lost. That would then have been good justification for taking second referendum off the table. 

I understand completely why you want a second referendum but the numbers simply aren't there (at the moment at least) and theres nothing Corbyn can do about that.

This isn’t true, it isn’t how our Parliament functions. As with the repeated votes on May’s deal, it needs to be a close run thing (which would absolutely happen with Labour’s support) for Tory rebels to vote for it. Tory rebels aren’t going to break the whip for an amendment which is destined to lose by 300 votes because it’d be making an enemy of the whips for no good reason, but if there’s only 10 or so votes in it then they would at the very very least strongly consider it. There’s also a strand of Brexiteer thought which goes along the lines of ‘we’d win again so why not’. It’s not very prominent but it’s there and could swing it if there were only a few votes in it.

40 minutes ago, Scott129 said:

I understand completely why you want a second referendum but the numbers simply aren't there (at the moment at least) and theres nothing Corbyn can do about that.

Yeah, I don't understand the strategy of those who wanted a referendum voting for last night--it doesn't have the numbers yet so why show that explicitly? Even if it passed there is no strategy on actually winning a se ond referendum - just seems to be a case of "I want a second referendum now and I want to win it", which is fair enough in terms of desires but not sure enough thought has gone into it beyond that.

Remainers were blasting each other last night, which doesn't bode well at all for a future remain campaign (don't see how they keep a united front). 

42 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Not really because they can claim it hasn't been properly pushed or promoted yet. 

Remember when Labour put forward the no confidence vote and lost, the pro referendum people immediately said it showed a general election doesn't have the numbers and so Labour should switch to a second referendum - good luck on those same people arguing that we should keep with a second referendum push if they'd lost a supported vote last night. 

36 minutes ago, kalifire said:

The best chance of a 2nd referendum is that amendment that promises one as long as May's deal goes through. If that gets tabled and selected, it's possible it could happen. Outside of that? No chance.

I agree--it's a fair compromise that allows Labour mps in leave constituencies to say they voted for brexit, while allowing Labour mps in remain seats to say they backed a second referendum. As always they key will be tory mps backing it in enough numbers, which I'm not fully convinced will happen. 

Edited by Mr.Tease

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I reckon we could see some acts pull out. :( 

For some the risk of them or their kit getting stuck in the UK is probably going to be too much.

You think? Never considered that in all honesty, it's such a mess and no one seems to be able to provide me with actual facts. Lots of speculation and scaremongery, I guess we'll just have to suck it and see...

Just now, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

You think? Never considered that in all honesty, it's such a mess and no one seems to be able to provide me with actual facts. Lots of speculation and scaremongery, I guess we'll just have to suck it and see...

if a person's livelihood depends on smooth intra-country travel then they'll probably look to avoid any places which might not run smoothly.

1 minute ago, Johnkhutch said:

According to a document seen by Reuters, the EU will reject a 30th June extension. They're saying if she wants a short delay they'll only consider up to 23rd May, otherwise it will be a long delay.

Hmm. Probably not so good for brexit-or-not, but probably much better for Glasto. :P 

17 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I reckon we could see some acts pull out. :( 

For some the risk of them or their kit getting stuck in the UK is probably going to be too much.

Foreign bands pulling out? Replacements needed at short notice?

if there’s something strange in the neighbourhood, who ya gonna call?

COLDPLAY, MUSE, MUMFORD 

brexit sorted. 

25 minutes ago, Johnkhutch said:

According to a document seen by Reuters, the EU will reject a 30th June extension. They're saying if she wants a short delay they'll only consider up to 23rd May, otherwise it will be a long delay.

That’s what the indie is reporting.

26 minutes ago, Johnkhutch said:

I did find it incredibly odd that May said she didn't want the UK to fight EU parliament elections then immediately after said she wanted an extension to 30th June. 

10 minutes ago, Johnkhutch said:

Worst case scenario and she gets the June extension, I assume the acts to keep an eye on are those touring the EU immediately before/after Glasto?

I'd guess the ones who have to leave the UK for the EU after the fest would be mostly likely to have worries, if the deadline was 30th June.

Fingers crossed that May doesn't get her proposed delay plan thru, because she's trying to force one of two bad choices onto the country.

Just now, Scott129 said:

I did find it incredibly odd that May said she didn't want the UK to fight EU parliament elections then immediately after said she wanted an extension to 30th June. 

setting it up that way forces the UK out of the EU by 30th June, either with May's deal or no-deal.

It wouldn't be possible to revoke or extend a50 just before the deadline, because we'd have not held the EU elections we'd need in order to stay.