Jump to content
kalifire

Brexit at Glasto?

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

Indeed. Would guess Scottish Indy must be up to 50/50 by now.

but love for the major austerity it will cause is still the same 0% / 100%. :P 

Edited by eFestivals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

Indeed. Would guess Scottish Indy must be up to 50/50 by now.

If the vote ever comes again the silent majority who care about the economy of Scotland will outvote the flag waving loudmouths , hopefully. Referendums should not just be simple majorities   Two thirds majority should be used to decide if such big changes such as independence or indeed brexit are at stake   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

There is a view that the SNP are keen on immigration and remaining in the eu rather than stirring up division and xenophobia with our neighbors.

Funnily enough Brexit Britian is just as keen on immigration as Scotland.

Most people seem to have missed it (and I've just failed to find it), but there's a recentish explicit comment to camera by Rees-Mogg that immigration levels are remaining the same but with more immigration from India and Africa.

And the whole of the SNP's campaign is about stirring up division and xenophobia with Scotland's neighbour. Just because you agree with what they're doing doesn't make it not that.
(the farage-ists reckon it's not them doing the stirring, too ;) )

 

Quote

You’ll be aware of how the eu ref vote went in Scotland. 

nationalism is nationalism is nationalism. There is only one type of nationalism, which is only about false exceptionalism.

 

Quote

I do agree that Brexit will aid the Indy cause. 

my take is that's as wrong as it gets. 

Brexit shows Scotland what getting to indy would be like, and how there'd be big and painful consequences from breaking existing ties.

I reckon Indy's best chance is when the UK is within the EU - because the painful consequences will be much lower.

Edited by eFestivals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Referendums should not just be simple majorities   Two thirds majority should be used to decide if such big changes such as independence or indeed brexit are at stake  

Sturgeon reckons that all regions of the country should have to say yes before a referendum is valid.

Oh, hang on, that's only with referendums where she's not keen on the outcome.

:P 

Edited by eFestivals

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be fair, when Brexit was announced at Glastonbury a few years ago, even though I thought it was a joke for a while (mate who told me had taken loads of acid), it did make the day more interesting, entertaining and funny. Everyone was giving it large about how they don't agree, and taking more drugs to forget about it. I found some pretty cool chaps from Berkshire who had all voted out and they were chuffed, giving me free booze and coke for a while. In fact, they pretty much talked me round about the whole business. No one will ever forget where they were when it was announced right? Where better to be than at Glastonbury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, eFestivals said:

the good people of Glastonbury have got our brexit loving PM on the run...

 

he visited the school where my mum was secretary for 20 years ... not sure how she would have responded if she was still there she doesnt drink milkshakes  .... think he must have an allergy to campaigners though as im sure Avon and Somerset police could deal with the one placard and a few protestors 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see Johnson is trying to split the mighty Lord Buckethead vote (although it seems the original Lord Buckethead has transmogrified into Count Binface).  Confusing times we live in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ian the worm said:

David Cameron came to my place of work in the 2016 campaign trail and I was very excited to meet Nick Robinson. 

Michael hezeltine gave an evening election speech at the school I was working in back in the early 80s when he was defence secretary. The whole building was searched by the security services  with a couple of those big hairy fierce Alsatian dogs. The night ended with the school janitor angrily confronting the security services. Seems the dogs had got the scent of his precious school cat and chased it round the corridors. Poor thing shat itself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2019 at 8:03 AM, Ayrshire Chris said:

If the vote ever comes again the silent majority who care about the economy of Scotland will outvote the flag waving loudmouths , hopefully. Referendums should not just be simple majorities   Two thirds majority should be used to decide if such big changes such as independence or indeed brexit are at stake   

I am in no way an expert on this...but I now work with a lot of Scottish people, almost all who say they voted to stay in the UK last time and are reconsidering. Very much how I say flippantly stuff like "i want out of this tory hell-hole", now they do too....but also potentially can. 

I hope you're right, but again, it's not really up to me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, timbrass said:

I see Johnson is trying to split the mighty Lord Buckethead vote (although it seems the original Lord Buckethead has transmogrified into Count Binface).  Confusing times we live in.

There will only be one Buckethead

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can you please all register to vote and elect some sane people? We've no say in any of this across the irish sea but it has huge effects on us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Madyaker said:

Can you please all register to vote and elect some sane people? We've no say in any of this across the irish sea but it has huge effects on us.

I would hope there won't be any non voters amongst us .... ive liked and retweeted all I can on social media it certainly doesnt do any harm 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2019 at 2:04 PM, crazyfool1 said:

he visited the school where my mum was secretary for 20 years ... not sure how she would have responded if she was still there she doesnt drink milkshakes  .... think he must have an allergy to campaigners though as im sure Avon and Somerset police could deal with the one placard and a few protestors 

That's only a couple of minutes walk from where I work. His visit stopped me from getting my lunch!! Bastard!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

That's only a couple of minutes walk from where I work. His visit stopped me from getting my lunch!! Bastard!!

West monkton ? Didn’t realise you were local ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

West monkton ? Didn’t realise you were local ? 

Sorry no - Glastonbury where Boris was last Thursday.

Edited by Ommadawn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Ommadawn said:

Sorry no - Glastonbury where Boris was last Thursday.

After west monkton .. just outside of Taunton :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/15/2019 at 6:14 PM, crazyfool1 said:

I would hope there won't be any non voters amongst us .... ive liked and retweeted all I can on social media it certainly doesnt do any harm 

My big problem is choosing who to vote for. I don’t find any of the three main England based party leaders inspiring in the slightest and I don’t want any of them in charge. 
 

On a local level, the candidates also don’t represent my views. 
 

I’m left with a moral quandary. Do I have to vote for someone I don’t believe in just because I believe in the alternative even less? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’m left with a moral quandary. Do I have to vote for someone I don’t believe in just because I believe in the alternative even less? 

Yes.

Voting in a first past the post system is normally about which candidate/leader/party/policy platform you find the least objectionable, rather than voting for one that you would fully endorse.

And much more than previous recent elections, this one sets the direction of the country for more than just the next five years - so you really should use your vote to try to nudge the result in the direction you'd most like to go in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

My big problem is choosing who to vote for. I don’t find any of the three main England based party leaders inspiring in the slightest and I don’t want any of them in charge. 
 

On a local level, the candidates also don’t represent my views. 
 

I’m left with a moral quandary. Do I have to vote for someone I don’t believe in just because I believe in the alternative even less? 

You have to vote for your best chance of not electing a Tory, whatever that means in your area

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, stuie said:

You have to vote for your best chance of not electing a Tory, whatever that means in your area

/ brexit candidate .... but I guess they are almost one and the same now ... there are policies that I dont like from all of them ... but the most objectionable are the ones I will keep away from ... lesser of the evils ... we just cannot carry on like we are 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, stuie said:

You have to vote for your best chance of not electing a Tory, whatever that means in your area

Unfortunately I think a tory seat is inevitable. The best chance of avoiding it would be if the BXP were standing as they would take some of the Tory votes but Lord Farage has chosen not to bother with my constituency. The Labour candidate is a horrendous human being and Lib Dems were so out of sight at the last election it was laughable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Unfortunately I think a tory seat is inevitable. The best chance of avoiding it would be if the BXP were standing as they would take some of the Tory votes but Lord Farage has chosen not to bother with my constituency. The Labour candidate is a horrendous human being and Lib Dems were so out of sight at the last election it was laughable. 

The horrendous human being is your best option then - look at the bigger picture.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Unfortunately I think a tory seat is inevitable. The best chance of avoiding it would be if the BXP were standing as they would take some of the Tory votes but Lord Farage has chosen not to bother with my constituency. The Labour candidate is a horrendous human being and Lib Dems were so out of sight at the last election it was laughable. 

gotta be the horrendous one im afraid ... although ill put a disclaimer on this until I know why 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...