Brexit at Glasto?

kalifire

11 hours ago, found home in 2009 said:

60% of older voters voted leave compared to 40% remain based on the Aschrofte poll that started that assumption (we don't know for certain who turned out or voted which way as its a private ballot). It's not like 90% of old people voted for it. I just see it as an excuse for hating on a group and you do see a lot of young people posting about hating boomers online. Also if polls are to be believed then it would seem a hell of a lot of young people didn't bother voting, if they had maybe we wouldn't have had Brexit.

I also dislike the SNP saying the English dragged us out of the EU as again it's causing unnecessary hatred and again a significant number of Scots voted for Brexit (38% and if they had voted remain we would still be in the EU).

Interestingly a lot of areas that voted for Brexit were traditional Labour areas, but nobody says fuck Labour voters for causing Brexit.

Probably because with Labour voters 65% voted to remain which means the majority did not vote to leave which is not the case with older voters. I'm very lucky the older people in my family circles all voted to remain but even they admit that it is their generation who have caused this to happen. It is a short sighted policy and by the time the effects of it are known a lot of the people who voted for it won't be around and when the younger generation try to re-join I bet they won't be able to get such favourable terms. 

Hey the leaders of the country are closer to my generation and they are total fuckwits as well but I can understand why young people that weekend would have been angry and I know many friends who have had huge arguments with parents over their stance. 

44 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Probably because with Labour voters 65% voted to remain which means the majority did not vote to leave which is not the case with older voters. I'm very lucky the older people in my family circles all voted to remain but even they admit that it is their generation who have caused this to happen. It is a short sighted policy and by the time the effects of it are known a lot of the people who voted for it won't be around and when the younger generation try to re-join I bet they won't be able to get such favourable terms. 

Hey the leaders of the country are closer to my generation and they are total fuckwits as well but I can understand why young people that weekend would have been angry and I know many friends who have had huge arguments with parents over their stance. 

I've had the 'we'll just rejoin' line before. Bit arrogant, don't think it takes into account how much strife we have caused the EU. Also, if we do rejoin we prob won't have all the specific extras we get now (we currently get a rebait, but are allowed not to be in the euro or schengen - which I understand it handy).

1 hour ago, Homer said:

I've had the 'we'll just rejoin' line before. Bit arrogant, don't think it takes into account how much strife we have caused the EU. Also, if we do rejoin we prob won't have all the specific extras we get now (we currently get a rebait, but are allowed not to be in the euro or schengen - which I understand it handy).

Oh yes if Britain needs to re-join it will undoubtedly be on worse terms. They'll have to join Euro, Schengen and will probably not get their power of veto back either. 

1 minute ago, Homer said:

Ooh, we lose the veto too?! That would go down well!

Not saying for definite you would but there's a chance. It's a bit like if you've ever known a couple who get back together after one of them has cheated. It always feels like certain freedoms are lost forever and they will be forever punished! 

1 hour ago, gigpusher said:

Oh yes if Britain needs to re-join it will undoubtedly be on worse terms. They'll have to join Euro, Schengen and will probably not get their power of veto back either. 

I doubt the above is achieveable and therefore that the UK will join again in my lifetime.

13 minutes ago, Wooderson said:

I doubt the above is achieveable and therefore that the UK will join again in my lifetime.

I don't think we formally rejoin the EU as a whole, but rejoining the Single Market and therefore accepting freedom of movement seems pretty likely to me. We'll rejoin by degrees, slowly, until we're basically back in, rather than in some big act of change.

Just now, DeanoL said:

I don't think we formally rejoin the EU as a whole, but rejoining the Single Market and therefore accepting freedom of movement seems pretty likely to me. We'll rejoin by degrees, slowly, until we're basically back in, rather than in some big act of change.

Fair point.

3 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

What the Norway-style deal that Farage was pushing (until he won and changed his mind)?

6 minutes ago, Homer said:

What the Norway-style deal that Farage was pushing (until he won and changed his mind)?

Yeah - I think it'll happen in 5-10 years' time, but honestly I can also see it happening next year when everyone concerned goes "well this really isn't working, is it?" as the only quick-fix to the mess we will create will be an off-the-shelf deal.

35 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

Yeah - I think it'll happen in 5-10 years' time

not a chance IMO.

50 years time, perhaps. But not before most of the population have forgotten the shit-biscuit that's brexit.

It's not going to be how beneficial the EU might be that'll count, but how bad the whole brexit process has been. Doing brexit in reverse isn't somewhere most people will want to go.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

not a chance IMO.

50 years time, perhaps. But not before most of the population have forgotten the shit-biscuit that's brexit.

It's not going to be how beneficial the EU might be that'll count, but how bad the whole brexit process has been. Doing brexit in reverse isn't somewhere most people will want to go.

That's why it would always be on the basis of an off-the-shelf Norway-style deal, not some bespoke free trade agreement.

2 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Yes and all of that will mean accepting European rules but having no say in them. It is amazing that people can't see this. I had this argument with a woman in a shop on Saturday. Was trying to buy some flooring for our new bathroom and she was talking about supply and delivery issues and I said that will only get worse and she made the mistake of saying at least we won't be controlled by France and Germany 😄 

I said I'd take Merkel over Johnson any day and that as a country with veto the only way we were controlled was is we were too stupid to use it and if the people in charge are too stupid to use their powers are they really the ones you want in charge. After that she asked me what colour my bathroom was 😄