Brexit at Glasto?

kalifire

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I'm not fan of Reeve and her comment years ago wasn't best placed ... but don't you perhaps think it was more about politicking than something meant as an absolute statement of intent?

She's been hung out to dry about that in exactly the same way as many of the same people forgive much worse from Jez & co. ;) 

Which dodgy comment was this? She’s made several. I’m more thinking that, when you could already reasonably paint Keir as an aloof member of the elite, having someone a bit more inspiring as Shadow Chancellor wouldn’t go amiss. I appreciate that the approach they’re going for appears to be encouraging the cranks to flee, but there’s a balance to be struck.

Certainly no fan of Jeremy’s rabble either btw. 

20 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Which dodgy comment was this?

the one that turned her into a hate figure several years ago. I can't remember exactly now, but it was something during an election campaign (2015?) about not spending money on the unemployed, or talking about an undeserving section of unemployed, or something in that sort of area.

I can remember the words weren't great if taken literally, tho I think it was really trying to say to tory voters they were trying to win over that Labour wouldn't piss money up the wall on benefits - which isn't a particularly unreasonable thing to say when trying to win those voters over.

Edited by eFestivals

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

the one that turned her into a hate figure several years ago. I can't remember exactly now, but it was something during an election campaign (2015?) about not spending money on the unemployed, or talking about an undeserving section of unemployed, or something in that sort of area.

I can remember the words weren't great if taken literally, tho I think it was really trying to say to tory voters they were trying to win over that Labour wouldn't piss money up the wall on benefits - which isn't a particularly unreasonable thing to say when trying to win those voters over.

This one?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/rachel-reeves-says-labour-does-not-want-to-represent-people-out-of-work-10114614.html?__twitter_impression=true

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Oh right. Throwing the unemployed under the bus isn’t great but the thing she said about immigration turning society into a tinderbox ready to explode - which wasn’t in an election campaign - made more of a lasting impression on me.

I know this has suddenly become a bit hidden under everything else (theres about seven layers of Covid to get through on the Guardian before you reach "headlines"), but how's everyone feeling about Kier Starmer/Angela Rayner?

Edited by Sasperella

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

I know this has suddenly become a bit hidden under everything else (theres about seven layers of Covid to get through on the Guardian before you reach "headlines"), but how's everyone feeling about Kier Starmer/Angela Rayner?

I really like Angela Rayner, deputy is a really good fit for her, gives her a bit of room.

4 minutes ago, priest17 said:

I really like Angela Rayner, deputy is a really good fit for her, gives her a bit of room.

If you study my postings here, you will know that I'm a big fan of Liz Kendall.

Her voting record is not always in alignment with what  I@ would have voted for, but she is a good woman, and would make a great deputy leader.

She got moves too.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, bamber said:

Her voting record is not always in alignment with what  I@ would have voted for, but she is a good woman, and would make a great deputy leader.

She got moves too.

In not gonna lie, the main reason I like Angela is coz she's so fucking northern, grew up not too far from me which I don't see in Westminster very often.

I see Corbyn fans on twitter, who for years have told people who don't like him to get behind him to support Labour, have decided to stop supporting labour coz they don't like the new leader 🙃

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, priest17 said:

In not gonna lie, the main reason I like Angela is coz she's so fucking northern, grew up not too far from me which I don't see in Westminster very often.

I see Corbyn fans on twitter, who for years have told people who don't like him to get behind him to support Labour, have decided to stop supporting labour coz they don't like the new leader 🙃

I'm a Corbyn fan still (yes, yes, I know, I know)...and I'm happy with this :) But then, I did vote for both K&A, so I guess I would be

1 hour ago, bamber said:

She got moves too.

So this is what Portillo has been up to. Great facial expressions.

What does everyone think of Sir Starmer then? I'm pleased. As a floating Labour voter (I've voted Lib Dem before), it appears to me to be the obvious answer to making them more electable. Which I'd prefer over the type of ideological 'purity' that a lot of the left of the left seem to prefer. I also find him pretty impressive as a speaker and background-wise.

I voted for Corbyn twice but I really think he's overstayed his welcome and more of the same would be madness. Seem to be a lot of deluded supporters of his. As Mark Steele said to Andy Zaltzman on The Bugle podcast a while back 'if you keep telling people to f@ck off and vote for the tories, the problem is that eventually they'll f@ck off and vote for the tories'.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Sorry to be *that guy* and drag this shit show up again, but I thought it worth it as it’s now 4 years since Jo Cox was murdered. 

I was part of the Stronger In staff and it was an incredibly strange day. 

Sadly four years after her death we have an emboldened far right out on the streets, and are still careering (or trundling) towards a fucking disaster that will isolate us as a nation. 

But rather than be bleak, let’s just remember what a good human being she was. 

If the punks (and anyone who’s good, honest, fair and kind) are united, they will never be divided. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Incredible to think we woke up that morning in 2016 in our tents to the news of the referendum result and here we are still in the middle of a shit storm still trying in vain to negotiate 

D66EA4BE-2699-4727-A54D-F5D0E7C0F25A.jpeg.7155b39c624e25b6836b49244dfeda49.jpeg

I'll never forget waking up at 6 in the morning to hear 2 Irish blokes walking past my tent, one saying "Jaysus, and they call us thick!" It took a few moments in my hungover state to realise what he meant (I didn't have a smartphone).

Normally I don't drink at Glasto until the afternoon, but that day I was on the gin and grapefruit at 6:30 in the morning!

I remember blubbing like a baby with a stranger wrapped in an EU flag during Billy Braggs incredibly angry leftfield set & being spectacularly drunk while watching Sigur Ros on John Peel.

Such a strange Glasto that year.

1 hour ago, Punksnotdead said:

I'll never forget waking up at 6 in the morning to hear 2 Irish blokes walking past my tent, one saying "Jaysus, and they call us thick!" It took a few moments in my hungover state to realise what he meant (I didn't have a smartphone).

Normally I don't drink at Glasto until the afternoon, but that day I was on the gin and grapefruit at 6:30 in the morning!

I remember blubbing like a baby with a stranger wrapped in an EU flag during Billy Braggs incredibly angry leftfield set & being spectacularly drunk while watching Sigur Ros on John Peel.

Such a strange Glasto that year.

Watching Glasto that year on TV was little better if I'm honest. And those of us who had to work that Friday didn't have the solace of getting commiseration drunk with breakfast. Though if I'm fair, having two bemused Irish blokes loudly shouting would be a better way to break me bad news than my stupid phone.

If I'm being fair, its not quite as personally dramatic as a few months later when Trump won and then I crashed my car in the same week.

As far as this week goes, I've not been surprised. No Deal has felt like a major possibility since the refusal to extend the transition in the summer and the fact there seems to be an irrationally high threshold for what the government will accept to fill their goal of feeling like they have sovereignty. I can't say I'm expecting this to go well though.

My two over riding memories of Brexit and Glastonbury were driving down in the car from Scotland and just seeing how the graffiti and posters that were up changed the more south you went. I set of the journey thinking it was a dead cert remain would win and by the end of the drive I realised that Scotland and England were very different and leave was bound to win.

The other thing I remember was lots of performers ranting about it and them all bringing up age and how old people had stolen our opportunities. I really didn't like that as I kind of think of Glastonbury as an all loving place and it seemed to be a bit fuck old people that year. 

I'm actually a member of a club that's got lots of over 70s and I know a lot of them are quite liberal and would never have voted for Brexit (admittedly a few of them are a bit Brexity). I hate people making assumptions about everyone in a group whether it's having a negative opinion on someone based on their age, their race, the hobbies they like, just find it wrong and in some ways found the anti old brigade as bad as the Brexiters.

1 minute ago, found home in 2009 said:

I'm actually a member of a club that's got lots of over 70s and I know a lot of them are quite liberal and would never have voted for Brexit (admittedly a few of them are a bit Brexity). I hate people making assumptions about everyone in a group whether it's having a negative opinion on someone based on their age, their race, the hobbies they like, just find it wrong and in some ways found the anti old brigade as bad as the Brexiters.

To be fair it wasn't assumptions though reporting suggests that Brexit happened because older people voted for it in much greater numbers than young people. It doesn't mean every older person I actually bought my husband's Aunt an I am the 48% badge because she said she hated that people might think she was one of them but it's fairly obvious that if they'd held out another 10 years for the referendum we'd have had a different outcome. 

31 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

To be fair it wasn't assumptions though reporting suggests that Brexit happened because older people voted for it in much greater numbers than young people. It doesn't mean every older person I actually bought my husband's Aunt an I am the 48% badge because she said she hated that people might think she was one of them but it's fairly obvious that if they'd held out another 10 years for the referendum we'd have had a different outcome. 

60% of older voters voted leave compared to 40% remain based on the Aschrofte poll that started that assumption (we don't know for certain who turned out or voted which way as its a private ballot). It's not like 90% of old people voted for it. I just see it as an excuse for hating on a group and you do see a lot of young people posting about hating boomers online. Also if polls are to be believed then it would seem a hell of a lot of young people didn't bother voting, if they had maybe we wouldn't have had Brexit.

I also dislike the SNP saying the English dragged us out of the EU as again it's causing unnecessary hatred and again a significant number of Scots voted for Brexit (38% and if they had voted remain we would still be in the EU).

Interestingly a lot of areas that voted for Brexit were traditional Labour areas, but nobody says fuck Labour voters for causing Brexit.

• Upvote 2