Brexit at Glasto?

kalifire

7 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Sadly sturgeon and co seem to prefer living in a poorer separate Scotland than a uK that has a reasonably strong economy   It’s independence at any cost with them. 

yep, but indy's not being sold as the poorer Scotland it would be, and that's my problem with it. Add-in that even if indy won it would be a narrow win, and that's cooking up loads of future problems (see brexit as the example).

If you look at just about every country that voted itself independent, those votes were overwelming in almost every country - and the economics didn't come much into the consideration, either. There was a true public mood for indy.

And that's just not how it is in Scotland. 

10 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I dont often say well done to Journalists but they've grown some balls here !! :) 

Agreed!  I hope they all report on this event so everyone knows what's going on too.

And 'no deal' back on the table - what a surprise.

4 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’m currently single and I’m taking a lot of interest in European single ladies. I think the best way out of this mess is a ring on my finger! 

ill be setting up a singles thread for Glastonbury goers nearer the time :) .... not found any European single ladies on these forums as yet ... but who knows :) 

6 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Apparently asking people why they voted brexit is now apparently elitism and a conspiracy to brand brexit voters as thick.

Who knew?

I find any time you ask the question you just get called a remoaner and reminded “you lost”. Mainly by twitter accounts with the Union Jack in their username. 

It’s painful.

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.nme.com/news/non-uk-musicians-will-need-visa-to-perform-in-the-country-from-2021-2612337

Think we knew this was coming but this is tremendously bad for live music in the UK, especially for festivals. Smaller bands/artists just won't be able to afford to do this unless their fees go up which as I'm sure we can work out will make ticket prices skyrocket

Who's silly idea was this Brexit thing anyway

39 minutes ago, a6l6e6x said:

https://www.nme.com/news/non-uk-musicians-will-need-visa-to-perform-in-the-country-from-2021-2612337

Think we knew this was coming but this is tremendously bad for live music in the UK, especially for festivals. Smaller bands/artists just won't be able to afford to do this unless their fees go up which as I'm sure we can work out will make ticket prices skyrocket

Who's silly idea was this Brexit thing anyway

And from the same publication -  https://www.nme.com/news/music/the-whos-roger-daltry-says-brexit-wont-affect-british-musicians-as-if-we-didnt-tour-europe-before-the-f-eu-2462954

50 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Bands regularly have to get visas when they travel the world I’d imagine. Will having to get one for the UK as well make much difference? Hopefully the process will be somewhat streamlined. 

From the USA etc. It does make it problematic in terms of a another loop. Also take into consideration Tyler the creators speech. So imagine the vetting process to get that visa. 

I think we will all be buying time shares in Dublin and Amsterdam. The outlook for music in 2021 is looking bleak to me at the moment. 

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Some actual good news (from the Times, hence copy/paste):

Sir Keir Starmer is planning to purge Jeremy Corbyn’s allies in the shadow cabinet and party headquarters soon after becoming Labour leader, according to “scorched earth” plans that lay bare his desire to break definitively with the factionalism of the party under his predecessor.
Starmer, the shadow Brexit secretary, is expected to be crowned leader on Saturday in a result deemed so damaging to the left that last week members of Corbyn’s office considered extending his leadership on the pretext of the coronavirus.
In one of his first acts, Starmer is set to request the departure of Karie Murphy, Corbyn’s chief of staff, and Jennie Formby, the party’s general secretary, citing their alleged mishandling of bullying and anti-semitism allegations, which aides have said amounts to “gross misconduct”.
He will then overlook high-profile Corbynistas by appointing a fresh shadow cabinet with almost all left-wing rising stars excluded.
Rachel Reeves, the Leeds West MP, has told friends she is in the running to be shadow chancellor. The 41-year-old former Bank of England economist is said to typify Starmer’s approach. “He wants young soft-lefties who are brainy and, importantly, who most people don’t recognise,” said a source close to the leader.
Jonathan Ashworth, the shadow health secretary, is one of the handful expected to stay on, to maintain consistency in the party’s response to the coronavirus threat. Rebecca Long Bailey, the left-wing leadership candidate, and Lisa Nandy, his other rival, are expected to be offered jobs but will be kept out of Starmer’s core team.
The extent of Starmer’s expected takeover has spooked Corbyn’s office and prompted fears the left will be excluded from the party for a generation. “It’s scorched earth, what he’s doing. He obviously thinks the left was a momentary phase in our history and that we should be apologised for and forgotten,” said one member of the Corbyn team.
Such fears led to discussions last week about whether Corbyn could extend his leadership amid the uncertainty of Covid-19 and the closure of parliament.
Seumas Milne, Corbyn’s closest aide, is said to have been made aware of the idea, which gained momentum among a handful of aides after appearing on members’ forums online. However, those close to Corbyn decided the plan would give Starmer an extra justification for purging the left. Milne has confirmed he will resign as director of communications and strategy after negotiations with the party.
The result of the leadership contest will be announced in a press release, with a video from the winner. Angela Rayner, the shadow education secretary, is favourite for deputy leader. She is in isolation this weekend with the coronavirus.
A source close to the Starmer camp said: “I’m expecting them [Murphy and Formby] to be gone within weeks. Their behaviour has fallen well below acceptable professional standards.”

Edited by Homer

21 hours ago, Homer said:

Some actual good news (from the Times, hence copy/paste):

Sir Keir Starmer is planning to purge Jeremy Corbyn’s allies in the shadow cabinet and party headquarters soon after becoming Labour leader, according to “scorched earth” plans that lay bare his desire to break definitively with the factionalism of the party under his predecessor.
Starmer, the shadow Brexit secretary, is expected to be crowned leader on Saturday in a result deemed so damaging to the left that last week members of Corbyn’s office considered extending his leadership on the pretext of the coronavirus.
In one of his first acts, Starmer is set to request the departure of Karie Murphy, Corbyn’s chief of staff, and Jennie Formby, the party’s general secretary, citing their alleged mishandling of bullying and anti-semitism allegations, which aides have said amounts to “gross misconduct”.
He will then overlook high-profile Corbynistas by appointing a fresh shadow cabinet with almost all left-wing rising stars excluded.
Rachel Reeves, the Leeds West MP, has told friends she is in the running to be shadow chancellor. The 41-year-old former Bank of England economist is said to typify Starmer’s approach. “He wants young soft-lefties who are brainy and, importantly, who most people don’t recognise,” said a source close to the leader.
Jonathan Ashworth, the shadow health secretary, is one of the handful expected to stay on, to maintain consistency in the party’s response to the coronavirus threat. Rebecca Long Bailey, the left-wing leadership candidate, and Lisa Nandy, his other rival, are expected to be offered jobs but will be kept out of Starmer’s core team.
The extent of Starmer’s expected takeover has spooked Corbyn’s office and prompted fears the left will be excluded from the party for a generation. “It’s scorched earth, what he’s doing. He obviously thinks the left was a momentary phase in our history and that we should be apologised for and forgotten,” said one member of the Corbyn team.
Such fears led to discussions last week about whether Corbyn could extend his leadership amid the uncertainty of Covid-19 and the closure of parliament.
Seumas Milne, Corbyn’s closest aide, is said to have been made aware of the idea, which gained momentum among a handful of aides after appearing on members’ forums online. However, those close to Corbyn decided the plan would give Starmer an extra justification for purging the left. Milne has confirmed he will resign as director of communications and strategy after negotiations with the party.
The result of the leadership contest will be announced in a press release, with a video from the winner. Angela Rayner, the shadow education secretary, is favourite for deputy leader. She is in isolation this weekend with the coronavirus.
A source close to the Starmer camp said: “I’m expecting them [Murphy and Formby] to be gone within weeks. Their behaviour has fallen well below acceptable professional standards.”

Good news about Milne but we can definitely do without Rachel Reeves. She’ll probably end up criticising Sunak for over-spending.

47 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Good news about Milne but we can definitely do without Rachel Reeves. She’ll probably end up criticising Sunak for over-spending.

I'm not fan of Reeve and her comment years ago wasn't best placed ... but don't you perhaps think it was more about politicking than something meant as an absolute statement of intent?

She's been hung out to dry about that in exactly the same way as many of the same people forgive much worse from Jez & co. ;)