Brexit at Glasto?

kalifire

23 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

The issue is that whatever solution works for ROI/Northern Ireland will work for Scotland / England, it’ll be the same thing. 

and between rUK and Northern Ireland will* be...?  Customs checks.

So guess what they'd be between England and Scotland?

(* based on what is currently being said about new UK/EU trade deal).

33 minutes ago, DeanoL said:

That ability to punch above our weight came from having a massively privileged position in Europe. Veto power while being able to reject Schengan and the Euro. That strong position meant we got our own way in the EU more often than not and frankly that’s how we wielded international power. We will be an irrelevance in 20 years.

Goes back further than that.  Hangover from Empire and bossing the rest of the world around for a couple of centuries.  We're basically the bloke in the pub from Fast Show rambling about old glories.

"World power are you? Yeah don't tell me about that, 300 years at the head of an Empire me, man and boy"

On ‎1‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 11:50 AM, philipsteak said:

I try really really hard to not think poorly of people just because they voted a different way to me, but between this and the Brexit Party lot acting like c**ts with their flag waving stunt it's getting tougher

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2020/01/30/45298/brexiteer_comic_dominic_frisbys_bid_for_no1?rss

It's not the fact that i disagree with the message that makes it shit, it's the fact that it is just so shit that makes it shit

Lovely!

Failed to even make the top 40 let alone be our Brexit number 1!

Chart position:  43  

And no bongs from big ben.  

This 'celebration' is turning out to be amazing.

This might sound a little boring but my friend who is a history teacher did a lesson on how the true “British” people left in Britain are actually the Welsh.

This is because we were invaded constantly from the East & they couldn’t be arsed/didn’t have the means to go so far West.

Might also be why the Cornish have different DNA to the rest of Britain (although I just thinking out loud on this).

edit: Big up the Welsh.

Edited by Bisque

6 hours ago, eFestivals said:

and between rUK and Northern Ireland will* be...?  Customs checks.

So guess what they'd be between England and Scotland?

(* based on what is currently being said about new UK/EU trade deal).

Magic custom checks! With no actual border some how. 

Yeah that issue is still unsolved, but it'll have to be solved one way or another this year. If it is custom checks, then it's going to be hard to argue against them for the Scottish border. When we already have them on the Irish border. In some ways it strengthens the case for independence as long as it's not a complete disaster in Ireland. Which I'm really trying to hope it won't be.

1 minute ago, zico martin said:

Its sweet that so many people still have faith in the majority of humanity enough to be bothered by this shit! Or I am a just a defeatist?

I have no idea how it will affect me except I’m worried about European travel. I have 3 European destinations lined up. I doubt anything will happen until the end of the year though.

12 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yeah, do not watch or share the actual video.  We know she makes a living from hate and outrage, let's not give her the oxygen she so badly desires.

It drives me mad that this video was being shared on the day her account was taken down for hate on twitter. It was self indulgent and just the kind of shit she utterly thrives on. Stop sharing it. Stop slapping those once nobodies who have totally benefitted from this stunt on the back. Think she cares one jot about that background while she was applauded. Why did they show her speech of hate if they were so concerned. Bullshit. Mountains of it. 

• Upvote 1

This was being projected on the cliff at our local beach Ramsgate Eastcliff tonight. There was quite a gathering down there. Sad day, but a nice moment. It made me feel like there’s still some love and we’re gonna be ok! 

690C4240-D90F-4678-AD0C-1704F895F0A7.jpeg

Edited by stuie
  • Upvote 1

Just browsing the news streams and socials in a bit of a hollow daze here.  We knew it was coming but it still doesn't feel real.  Some great reflections on Billy Braggs 2016 gig *that* day on Glasto Thingys Twitter though...and a reply from the man himself....brings it all back. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, DeanoL said:

Magic custom checks! With no actual border some how. 

Yeah that issue is still unsolved, but it'll have to be solved one way or another this year. If it is custom checks, then it's going to be hard to argue against them for the Scottish border. When we already have them on the Irish border. In some ways it strengthens the case for independence as long as it's not a complete disaster in Ireland. Which I'm really trying to hope it won't be.

Ireland will be fine. NI is physically attached to the republic, and all operating under the same rules. Easy.

An iScotland that had a customs border with England would be very isolated from the EU - particularly as most of its EU trade currently trucks thru England. As well as losing trade with the rUK of course. 

When the current argument for pushing for indy is about how brexit is economically damaging to Scotland, indy would be double-stupid.

If Scotland wants to vote itself much poorer it's welcome to - but if it does it with Sturgeon doing a lying Farage impression (as she has so far) I'll keep pointing that out.

15 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Ireland will be fine. NI is physically attached to the republic, and all operating under the same rules. Easy.

An iScotland that had a customs border with England would be very isolated from the EU - particularly as most of its EU trade currently trucks thru England. As well as losing trade with the rUK of course. 

When the current argument for pushing for indy is about how brexit is economically damaging to Scotland, indy would be double-stupid.

If Scotland wants to vote itself much poorer it's welcome to - but if it does it with Sturgeon doing a lying Farage impression (as she has so far) I'll keep pointing that out.

Sadly sturgeon and co seem to prefer living in a poorer separate Scotland than a uK that has a reasonably strong economy   It’s independence at any cost with them.