Brexit at Glasto?

kalifire

I feel destroyed today .... and seeing the forum upset is not great too .... I just cant comprehend what people thought (and yes I know why it went as it did ) Id be emigrating in a shot if I could but have worries over my mum that prevent this currently ...Im way worse than after Brexit .. I suppose at least I felt I was in a place with likeminded people .... now I just look around at people with my head spinning thinking what have they done for my future and the future of the Nhs , the planet , and a very fundamental thing we must remember on this forum right now is respect for fellow humans 

I've got my job, friends, teams I'm involved with, my kids are at school here.  Much as I'd like to, I'm about as likely to emigrate as any of the billionaires the Right tells us would do if anyone hinted at taxing them a little bit more.

Edited by uscore

6 hours ago, uscore said:

I've got my job, friends, teams I'm involved with, my kids are at school here.  Much as I'd like to, I'm about as likely to emigrate as any of the billionaires the Right tells us would do if anyone hinted at taxing them a little bit more.

There’s only a handful of billionaires in the country. Wouldn’t be right taxing them when there are millions of people earning below average wage who can be taxed more. 

?

• Downvote 1

Maybe the UK is a right wing country? We don't have any parties like UKIP or the Brexit Party here. Even when Labour won their biggest majority in 1997 it was with a Tory lite at the helm who had loads of neo liberal policies. Blair was almost right wing compared to Corbyn. Slightly right of centre is the only way forward for them. The UK wasn't ready for JC's policies.

9 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

So with No Deal 31st Jan 2020 being written into UK law this week, do we think Glastonbury will take an early fallow year with all the uncertainty of what it will actually lead to, but the obvious certainty it'll happen?

No

Not a chance

6 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

So with No Deal 31st Jan 2020 being written into UK law this week, do we think Glastonbury will take an early fallow year with all the uncertainty of what it will actually lead to, but the obvious certainty it'll happen?

i can't see why it would.

The only uncertainty I can really see impacting on Glasto would be any economic consequences skewing prices quickly - but I don't think there's anything there which couldn't be managed with price & budget adjustments. 

A performer or two will probably screw up getting the right visa.

11 minutes ago, efcfanwirral said:

2020? It's 2021 isn't it? Think it's more a case of setting a limit on it rather than trying for no deal.

15 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

2020? It's 2021 isn't it? Think it's more a case of setting a limit on it rather than trying for no deal.

end of 2020 is when the transition period runs out.

If there's no deal and no extension (last date to ask for extension is 30th June) the UK/EU trade defaults to no deal.

I think it's likely Johnson will get a deal by then - because the consequence for both sides if they don't agree are not great - but without time to define the ins & outs it's unlikely to be as good a deal as it could be.

37 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

end of 2020 is when the transition period runs out.

If there's no deal and no extension (last date to ask for extension is 30th June) the UK/EU trade defaults to no deal.

I think it's likely Johnson will get a deal by then - because the consequence for both sides if they don't agree are not great - but without time to define the ins & outs it's unlikely to be as good a deal as it could be.

"The government is to add a new clause to the Brexit bill to rule out any extension to the transition period beyond the end of next year.

The post-Brexit transition period - due to conclude in December 2020 -  can currently be extended by mutual agreement for up to two years.

But an amended Withdrawal Agreement Bill the Commons is set to vote on this week would rule out any extension."

Just read this morning ^ looks like there may be no option for an extension anyway if the new clause gets passed

Edited by grilladelphia

1 minute ago, grilladelphia said:

Just read this morning ^ looks like there may be no option for an extension anyway if the new clause gets passed

ultimately that's meaningless - because another law could be passed to allow an extension.

It does show Johnson's intent tho, of being in a position to make trade deals elsewhere (Trump) - as nothing major will get signed until all the EU issues are settled.

1 hour ago, grilladelphia said:

"The government is to add a new clause to the Brexit bill to rule out any extension to the transition period beyond the end of next year.

The post-Brexit transition period - due to conclude in December 2020 -  can currently be extended by mutual agreement for up to two years.

But an amended Withdrawal Agreement Bill the Commons is set to vote on this week would rule out any extension."

Thats what i thought efcfanwirral was refering to. The deadline would then be the end of 2020. Earliest nodeal start of 2021. Dont know why anyone is panicing it will all get sorted and noone will notice any real difference. (leavers or remainers).

1 hour ago, eFestivals said:

ultimately that's meaningless - because another law could be passed to allow an extension.

It does show Johnson's intent tho, of being in a position to make trade deals elsewhere (Trump) - as nothing major will get signed until all the EU issues are settled.

Will the US Elections be a bit of an issue with trying to sort that out though? I can't imagine it being high on trump's agenda over the back end of the next 10 months.

9 minutes ago, gizmoman said:

Thats what i thought efcfanwirral was refering to. The deadline would then be the end of 2020. Earliest nodeal start of 2021. Dont know why anyone is panicing it will all get sorted and noone will notice any real difference. (leavers or remainers).

I think there is a grain of truth in there.  I've occasionally commented that perhaps Remainers have overstated the cliff-edge dangers of Brexit; that there would be CHAOS from midnight at the deadline with 100 mile queues at the ports and airplanes falling from the sky.

What's actually going to happen is we'll sign a bare-bones deal by the end of 2020 that covers the major things, and other things will fall into place in the years afters. And the real tragedy is that the country will slowly become much poorer than it should be, but because it happens over years rather than in one night, Brexiters will deny any responsibility for it.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Will the US Elections be a bit of an issue with trying to sort that out though? I can't imagine it being high on trump's agenda over the back end of the next 10 months.

not really, because the USA is very unlikely to sign a deal with the UK until the UK has signed a deal with the EU - which takes us past the US elections. 

No idea whether this'll be how it goes, but there's currently a lot of people who think Johnson will sign the UK up to a SM & CU* deal despite what he's saying now - and he's currently setting things up so that he can do that and blame the EU for him having to cave for the good of the UK.

* perhaps not the full-blown formal SM & CU rules but something very like them.

11 hours ago, eFestivals said:

not really, because the USA is very unlikely to sign a deal with the UK until the UK has signed a deal with the EU - which takes us past the US elections. 

No idea whether this'll be how it goes, but there's currently a lot of people who think Johnson will sign the UK up to a SM & CU* deal despite what he's saying now - and he's currently setting things up so that he can do that and blame the EU for him having to cave for the good of the UK.

* perhaps not the full-blown formal SM & CU rules but something very like them.

we can only hope it's as sensible as that. Which is ridiculous in itself. 

9 hours ago, Bryanrebe said:

Trump's impeachment has lessened the Boris blow a bit, even if it will ultimately be overturned by the Senate. His rage tweeting is so bonkers...

I'd be willing to wager some cash that, if he gets re-elected (which he probably will if we're honest), he'd be looking for a change to the 2-term limits.