Brexit at Glasto?

kalifire

30 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

gotta be the horrendous one im afraid ... although ill put a disclaimer on this until I know why 

Without trying to open a can of worms we’ll just say it’s related to certain religious comments which are incredibly offensive to a very close friend of mine. 

4 hours ago, squirrelarmy said:

Without trying to open a can of worms we’ll just say it’s related to certain religious comments which are incredibly offensive to a very close friend of mine. 

As a fellow West Yorkshireman I was intrigued by this and thought it would be easy to spot the " horrendous one" turns out 3 of the 21 possibles have form in this, My money is on Richard Burgon but it could just as well be Naz Shah or even Fabian Hamilton. Care to tell us who? (I understand if you would rather not).

The Greens have stood down in Swansea West, because of an anti-brexit pact with the Lib-Dems and Plaid Cymru.

This means that I should vote for Plaid Cymru., but I cannot do that, because they are Nationalists and I am not.

This leaves with the peculiar dilemma of having no one to vote for.

I will therefore vote for Labour, because it is a safe Labour Seat and  Geraint Davies is awlroight.....

My vote means nothing it seams.

I cannot vote for Corbyn enthusiastically because he is a Leaver.

I still think all political postings should be banned from social media especially paid advertising. The levels of misinformation being shown on the main sites is absolutely shocking especially considering the average person will lap up all the lies. Even when the information is proved to be false it’s still reached a huge audience and helps influence their minds. 

Dunno if it's been discussed before here or in another thread, but what are efestival members views of the accusations of Corbyn's anti-semitism? I have personally found it confusing because it goes against everything I thought he stood for. I could not vote for somebody like that, but I'm finding it impossible to decipher what to believe. How do we know the truth?

On 12/5/2019 at 5:16 PM, Little Andy said:

Dunno if it's been discussed before here or in another thread, but what are efestival members views of the accusations of Corbyn's anti-semitism? I have personally found it confusing because it goes against everything I thought he stood for. I could not vote for somebody like that, but I'm finding it impossible to decipher what to believe. How do we know the truth?

I’ve got no idea whats true or what is a smear campaign anymore. What I do know that there is no smoke without fire. If there wasn’t anything in these allegations then surely there would be legal action against the papers and online sources for libel. 

There must be some truth in it however minor otherwise this line of campaigning would have been nipped in the bud long ago instead of becoming one of the primary sources of Corbyns lack of credibility. 

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’ve got no idea whats true or what is a smear campaign anymore. What I do know that there is no smoke without fire. If there wasn’t anything in these allegations then surely there would be legal action against the papers and online sources for libel. 

There must be some truth in it however minor otherwise this line of campaigning would have been nipped in the bud long ago instead of becoming one of the primary sources of Corbyns lack of credibility. 

I think Corbyn has been ridiculously smeared, though the anti-semitism thing does worry me. The fact that people are quitting the party over is troubling. I don't think Corbyn is a racist, but he doesn't appear to have done enough to counter it either.

I find it massively frustrating that, at such a pivotal juncture, Labour has managed to get bogged down in a scandal re a type of racism I naively didn't think even really existed in this country.

8 minutes ago, Homer said:

but he doesn't appear to have done enough to counter it either.

this for me is where the real story is.

In a party of any size there's going to be scumbags, that part is not a surprise. It's how issues like this are dealt with that displays the competence of a leader.

Can anyone imagine something like the AS thing getting so out of control it was still a story 3 years later under someone like Blair? Nope, me neither.

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

this for me is where the real story is.

In a party of any size there's going to be scumbags, that part is not a surprise. It's how issues like this are dealt with that displays the competence of a leader.

Can anyone imagine something like the AS thing getting so out of control it was still a story 3 years later under someone like Blair? Nope, me neither.

This. 100% this. There's actually far less AS in Labour  than the Conservatives, but because of JC's complete uselessness as a leader, it has become a giant issue. Disgraceful.

I'm not sure what I make of Corbyn. His voting record is impressive and I thought he was pretty good on the debate on Friday night. I moved to a Labour stronghold - Lewisham - just before he became leader, and I'm aware that, as primarily an anyone but the Tories voter, I've sort of swerved confronting my conscience on this one and just voted Labour in general elections since he has been leader/I have lived here.

I think the problem Corbyn has had is that he's been unable to avoid being defined by his opponents, and the media.  I think that's why he tends to win back a small number of voters during election times; because it's actually him we see on the television saying things, rather than edited soundbites or misquotes that form the caricature of him we see at other times.

The number of people who seem to genuinely believe he's basically a terrorist is ridiculous.

I don't think he's anti-Semitic. I'm inclined to believe he's just shit at media handling, and perhaps guilty of trying to sweep it under the carpet a bit because he's terrified that apologising for it too much, or drawing too much attention to it will create headlines like "CORBYN ADMITS TO RAMPANT ANTI SEMITISM IN THE LABOUR PARTY"

I think there's a difference in being behind Palestinians and being an anti semite and my own view is that they are being confused. 

I've been mulling over this for a long time and Corbyn has been in politics for decades. It's only recently he has been accused of AS. Surely if he was an anti semite under Blair he would have been removed from the party a long time ago? I think we're being dragged all over the place and battered by media. 

I'm not looking to get into an argument but I'll be voting anyone but Tory and truly believe that labour is the only way to get us back from the brink of ruin. The NHS is on the line here. I used to work in international medical claims and I can assure you you don't want your well being based on your policy conditions. I also have seen how much it costs for policies and procedures. 

26 minutes ago, uscore said:

I think the problem Corbyn has had is that he's been unable to avoid being defined by his opponents, and the media.  I think that's why he tends to win back a small number of voters during election times; because it's actually him we see on the television saying things, rather than edited soundbites or misquotes that form the caricature of him we see at other times.

thing is, that's from his own choice to shun the media as his general rule.

Those political reporters are expected to report something. If he leaves them space to create their own stories that's what they'll do.

The number of people who seem to genuinely believe he's basically a terrorist is ridiculous.

Not sure how old you are, but some of his baggage plays in a very different way to plenty of people of an older age than it does with people who didn't live thru the 70s & 80s.

I don't think he's anti-Semitic. I'm inclined to believe he's just shit at media handling, and perhaps guilty of trying to sweep it under the carpet a bit because he's terrified that apologising for it too much, or drawing too much attention to it will create headlines like "CORBYN ADMITS TO RAMPANT ANTI SEMITISM IN THE LABOUR PARTY"

I don't think he's deliberately AS but AS has been a running theme within the leftist clique he's always been a part of, to the extent that he's stood alongside more than one dodgy person over the years. It makes it all a bit awkward for him. 

But ultimately he's been more interested in staying politically 'pure' (to his own rules ;) ) as leader, rather than doing what a leader sometimes need to do in order to lead effectively.