Brexit at Glasto?

kalifire

10 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

Indeed. Would guess Scottish Indy must be up to 50/50 by now.

If the vote ever comes again the silent majority who care about the economy of Scotland will outvote the flag waving loudmouths , hopefully. Referendums should not just be simple majorities   Two thirds majority should be used to decide if such big changes such as independence or indeed brexit are at stake   

10 hours ago, Comfy Bean said:

There is a view that the SNP are keen on immigration and remaining in the eu rather than stirring up division and xenophobia with our neighbors.

Funnily enough Brexit Britian is just as keen on immigration as Scotland.

Most people seem to have missed it (and I've just failed to find it), but there's a recentish explicit comment to camera by Rees-Mogg that immigration levels are remaining the same but with more immigration from India and Africa.

And the whole of the SNP's campaign is about stirring up division and xenophobia with Scotland's neighbour. Just because you agree with what they're doing doesn't make it not that.
(the farage-ists reckon it's not them doing the stirring, too ;) )

You’ll be aware of how the eu ref vote went in Scotland. 

nationalism is nationalism is nationalism. There is only one type of nationalism, which is only about false exceptionalism.

I do agree that Brexit will aid the Indy cause. 

my take is that's as wrong as it gets. 

Brexit shows Scotland what getting to indy would be like, and how there'd be big and painful consequences from breaking existing ties.

I reckon Indy's best chance is when the UK is within the EU - because the painful consequences will be much lower.

Edited by eFestivals

2 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Referendums should not just be simple majorities   Two thirds majority should be used to decide if such big changes such as independence or indeed brexit are at stake  

Sturgeon reckons that all regions of the country should have to say yes before a referendum is valid.

Oh, hang on, that's only with referendums where she's not keen on the outcome.

:P 

Edited by eFestivals

To be fair, when Brexit was announced at Glastonbury a few years ago, even though I thought it was a joke for a while (mate who told me had taken loads of acid), it did make the day more interesting, entertaining and funny. Everyone was giving it large about how they don't agree, and taking more drugs to forget about it. I found some pretty cool chaps from Berkshire who had all voted out and they were chuffed, giving me free booze and coke for a while. In fact, they pretty much talked me round about the whole business. No one will ever forget where they were when it was announced right? Where better to be than at Glastonbury.

• 1 month later...
Just now, eFestivals said:

the good people of Glastonbury have got our brexit loving PM on the run...

he visited the school where my mum was secretary for 20 years ... not sure how she would have responded if she was still there she doesnt drink milkshakes  .... think he must have an allergy to campaigners though as im sure Avon and Somerset police could deal with the one placard and a few protestors 

3 hours ago, ian the worm said:

David Cameron came to my place of work in the 2016 campaign trail and I was very excited to meet Nick Robinson. 

Michael hezeltine gave an evening election speech at the school I was working in back in the early 80s when he was defence secretary. The whole building was searched by the security services  with a couple of those big hairy fierce Alsatian dogs. The night ended with the school janitor angrily confronting the security services. Seems the dogs had got the scent of his precious school cat and chased it round the corridors. Poor thing shat itself. 

On 10/10/2019 at 8:03 AM, Ayrshire Chris said:

If the vote ever comes again the silent majority who care about the economy of Scotland will outvote the flag waving loudmouths , hopefully. Referendums should not just be simple majorities   Two thirds majority should be used to decide if such big changes such as independence or indeed brexit are at stake   

I am in no way an expert on this...but I now work with a lot of Scottish people, almost all who say they voted to stay in the UK last time and are reconsidering. Very much how I say flippantly stuff like "i want out of this tory hell-hole", now they do too....but also potentially can. 

I hope you're right, but again, it's not really up to me

1 minute ago, Madyaker said:

Can you please all register to vote and elect some sane people? We've no say in any of this across the irish sea but it has huge effects on us.

I would hope there won't be any non voters amongst us .... ive liked and retweeted all I can on social media it certainly doesnt do any harm 

On 11/14/2019 at 2:04 PM, crazyfool1 said:

he visited the school where my mum was secretary for 20 years ... not sure how she would have responded if she was still there she doesnt drink milkshakes  .... think he must have an allergy to campaigners though as im sure Avon and Somerset police could deal with the one placard and a few protestors 

That's only a couple of minutes walk from where I work. His visit stopped me from getting my lunch!! Bastard!!

On 11/15/2019 at 6:14 PM, crazyfool1 said:

I would hope there won't be any non voters amongst us .... ive liked and retweeted all I can on social media it certainly doesnt do any harm 

My big problem is choosing who to vote for. I don’t find any of the three main England based party leaders inspiring in the slightest and I don’t want any of them in charge. 

On a local level, the candidates also don’t represent my views. 

I’m left with a moral quandary. Do I have to vote for someone I don’t believe in just because I believe in the alternative even less? 

9 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

I’m left with a moral quandary. Do I have to vote for someone I don’t believe in just because I believe in the alternative even less? 

Yes.

Voting in a first past the post system is normally about which candidate/leader/party/policy platform you find the least objectionable, rather than voting for one that you would fully endorse.

And much more than previous recent elections, this one sets the direction of the country for more than just the next five years - so you really should use your vote to try to nudge the result in the direction you'd most like to go in.

40 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

My big problem is choosing who to vote for. I don’t find any of the three main England based party leaders inspiring in the slightest and I don’t want any of them in charge. 

On a local level, the candidates also don’t represent my views. 

You have to vote for your best chance of not electing a Tory, whatever that means in your area

34 minutes ago, stuie said:

You have to vote for your best chance of not electing a Tory, whatever that means in your area

/ brexit candidate .... but I guess they are almost one and the same now ... there are policies that I dont like from all of them ... but the most objectionable are the ones I will keep away from ... lesser of the evils ... we just cannot carry on like we are 

37 minutes ago, stuie said:

Unfortunately I think a tory seat is inevitable. The best chance of avoiding it would be if the BXP were standing as they would take some of the Tory votes but Lord Farage has chosen not to bother with my constituency. The Labour candidate is a horrendous human being and Lib Dems were so out of sight at the last election it was laughable. 

2 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Unfortunately I think a tory seat is inevitable. The best chance of avoiding it would be if the BXP were standing as they would take some of the Tory votes but Lord Farage has chosen not to bother with my constituency. The Labour candidate is a horrendous human being and Lib Dems were so out of sight at the last election it was laughable. 

The horrendous human being is your best option then - look at the bigger picture.

5 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

gotta be the horrendous one im afraid ... although ill put a disclaimer on this until I know why