Brexit at Glasto?

kalifire

7 minutes ago, thrillhouse188 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27187434 explains it well, essentially split by region and proportional representation. Point is that polls can have a fairly decent idea of the vote split, and so tactical voting will basically be voting for the remain party who need fewest votes to give them an extra seat.

6 minutes ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

The system works like this:  the top voted party in the region gets the first seat, then their total is halved. Then for the second seat its counted again with the next highest winning seat 2 (could be the same party if they got a lot of votes) then that party's number is halved. So on until all the seats are filled.

I just read the BBC article and think I understand the process.  I don't understand why it is the way it is, as halving the votes seems, on the face of it, to be completely arbitrary.  But thanks a lot for that info, guys.  

13 minutes ago, caballosblancos said:

Voted green, which was apparently the right tactic to get a 2nd remain seat in the SW. Felt good. 

How is it that the English Democrats and UKIP have their slogans alongside their name on the ballot paper?  That seems like it could be trying to influence the voter.

Edited by Fork_UK

50 minutes ago, Fork_UK said:

I just read the BBC article and think I understand the process.  I don't understand why it is the way it is, as halving the votes seems, on the face of it, to be completely arbitrary.  But thanks a lot for that info, guys.  

I actually made a mistake saying the number got halved for each seat won. It's actually their total vote that gets divided by the number of seats they've currently got plus 1.

Will be interesting to see what the total number of votes for remain parties are compared to brexit parties... taking tories and labour out of the equation. Better than any poll on how the country is leaning as a whole. 

I hope theres a high remain turn out. What MEP's get elected could be a bit misleading as there will be areas that lean heavily one way or the other. 

2 hours ago, caballosblancos said:

Voted green, which was apparently the right tactic to get a 2nd remain seat in the SW. Felt good. 

A3DEBC31-D1E1-4EDA-A428-0142389AC031.jpeg

Funny how the most dubious parties feel the need to add a tagline, as if a little extra push towards the racist corner might secure them one more vote. "Putting England First", indeed. State of those c**ts.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, kalifire said:

Funny how the most dubious parties feel the need to add a tagline, as if a little extra push towards the racist corner might secure them one more vote. "Putting England First", indeed. State of those c**ts.

It was easy in the 70s to see the Nazis, now they're split across several parties and tabloids, it's no longer as easy to keep track of them. My 4 Democrats* all come from one family, their meals must be full of rabid conversation.

*by saying 'my Democrats', I mean those who are presenting in my ward, NOT that I'm voting for the fuckers.

On 5/23/2019 at 5:49 PM, kalifire said:

Why are they allowed to do that?

I'm on the point where I'm seriously considering entering politics. I earnestly think I might be good at it.

My back story is the thing that puts me off. Me, and a lot of my generation, were basically hedonists. You know what I mean? Exposures would result. I have no real dependants, so,I have the germ of a volition....

Edited by bamber

22 minutes ago, bamber said:

Why are they allowed to do that?

I'm on the point where I'm seriously considering entering politics. I earnestly think I might be good at it.

My back story is the thing that puts me off. Me, and a lot of my generation, were basically hedonists. You know what I mean? Exposures would result. I have no real dependants, so,I have the germ of a volition....

Well if Farrage can be exposed for singing hitler youth songs without any damage to his reputation and Cameron as a pig fu*ker I don’t think a bit of “hedonism “ will be a problem 

1 minute ago, tarw said:

Well if Farrage can be exposed for singing hitler youth songs without any damage to his reputation and Cameron as a pig fu*ker I don’t think a bit of “hedonism “ will be a problem 

In an ideal world that would be true, we do not live an ideal world.

It frightens me that those of us who are perfectly capable shun public office because we got high. There are many thousands of us that meet that description.

Green new deal.

There is also the mad shit I have posted here..... and the times of day that I have done so, easily exposed.

I'm not on, or have never been on Facebook, and I was only on Twitter very briefly. I've covered my tracks with some foresight. I do worry that there are photos of my hedonistic past that would come back to haunt me all the same. I know the very best of people who would make quite excellent politicians who are in the same boat as me, trapped by their fruity past  (by that I mean most of the 80s and 90s)

* what to do *

Edited by bamber

4 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Well someone is telling porkies, 

couldnt resist that one ! 

Poop. I could have had that. 

I think he deserves to be condemned for letting the Tory civil-war spill over to the rest of us, but the pig thing is, well, not accurate.

I think I shall up vote you though for your wit. If I can figure that out.  

Ha!  Figured it.  Upvote your way.

Edited by EasyUserName
Late on a weekend
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, EasyUserName said:

Poop. I could have had that. 

I think he deserves to be condemned for letting the Tory civil-war spill over to the rest of us, but the pig thing is, well, not accurate.

I think I shall up vote you though for your wit. If I can figure that out.  

Ha!  Figured it.  Upvote your way.

And I agree with your assessment of him. He dragged the whole country into a civil war that had been raging in his party for decades.  We are paying a heavy price for his decision to have the referendum. 

Will it make us any better off?  Pigs might fly.

1 minute ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

And I agree with your assessment of him. He dragged the whole country into a civil war that had been raging in his party for decades.  We are paying a heavy price for his decision to have the referendum. 

Will it make us any better off?  Pigs might fly.

It's a shame it's a "thing" though. The "pig" thing.  I mean, wouldn't it be better to remember him as the one who caused all the division the vote caused?  Still not great, but at least it's not a smear by an ex-tory friend who was bitter. 

26 minutes ago, EasyUserName said:

I'm happy as anyone to see people called to account, but I believe this one to be (& I hate to use the phrase, but it is appropriate here) "fake news".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piggate

Reading that I’d take it to be unproven rather than untrue. I was just using it as an illustration that past colourful behaviour no longer stops a political career. 

Whether or not he did it is irrelevant compared to what he did to the country 

1 minute ago, tarw said:

Reading that I’d take it to be unproven rather than untrue. I was just using it as an illustration that past colourful behaviour no longer stops a political career. 

Whether or not he did it is irrelevant compared to what he did to the country 

I'm not trying to argue (I am really), but "uproven" rather than "untrue" is a bit pants.

I'm not defending him, don't get me wrong.  Where we are is (in my humble opinion) because he let it all happen ("Boris", all that jazz etc). 

But "unproven"?  People could say that about all of us.  I'd rather condemn him for the facts (in my humble opinion, because he gave in to the fringe elements of the Tory Party to get power, and "gave" them the referendum) than some comments from a vested interest who I could speculate is a bit bitter based on what I can see.  

Voted Green on the remain web advice. We had Tommeh on the ticket so it was imperative we vote tactically. 

May gone, BoJo in the running. Can I also add another horror reminder. The absolute money pit of waste that was the garden bridge. The fucking blinkering buffoon just pisses money about with no regard. Fuck him. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Voted Green on the remain web advice. We had Tommeh on the ticket so it was imperative we vote tactically. 

May gone, BoJo in the running. Can I also add another horror reminder. The absolute money pit of waste that was the garden bridge. The fucking blinkering buffoon just pisses money about with no regard. Fuck him. 

*sigh*  Borris.  A car crash in public. 

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2017/apr/28/garden-bridge-dead-38m-public-money-repaid-boris-johnson

"Private money", no tax-payers will be harmed.  Opps!  £60 million down the drain, on dear.  It's like a parody, some sort of BBC comedy show to see what you can do before people say "hang on a moment", but "whoops, there goes £60 million for nothing".

Still, he's odds on.  People believe I guess. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garden_Bridge

7 hours ago, EasyUserName said:

It's a shame it's a "thing" though. The "pig" thing.  I mean, wouldn't it be better to remember him as the one who caused all the division the vote caused?  Still not great, but at least it's not a smear by an ex-tory friend who was bitter. 

True, it does trivialise the whole sad issue. But just like May crying, even  kinnock falling on the beach, the public remember these stupid things .  And of course comedians will forever keep reminding us! 

7 hours ago, EasyUserName said:

I'm not trying to argue (I am really), but "uproven" rather than "untrue" is a bit pants.

I'm not defending him, don't get me wrong.  Where we are is (in my humble opinion) because he let it all happen ("Boris", all that jazz etc). 

But "unproven"?  People could say that about all of us.  I'd rather condemn him for the facts (in my humble opinion, because he gave in to the fringe elements of the Tory Party to get power, and "gave" them the referendum) than some comments from a vested interest who I could speculate is a bit bitter based on what I can see.  

I don’t think you’re trying to argue just debate. To me unproven because you can’t say he definitely didn’t do it. An accusation was made with circumstantial evidence. The person who made it declined to prove it. That could either be because it was a malicious accusation or pressure was put on them. 

We can definitely say that he fu*ked the whole country over though