Brexit at Glasto?

kalifire

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Oh dear.

The deal May got was pretty much the deal the EU said was available even before the UK voted for brexit.

And who's been stopping the brexiters getting what the brexiters want? The headbanger brexiters, no one else.

Quoted for truth. This whole new "Strategic Genius May" line is absolutely bonkers and just another way of preserving the dream of The Perfect Brexit The Great British People Were Denied and someone else to blame it on.

Nope this is just Brexit, exactly as we told the Brexiteers it would be because of their demands and it's exactly as unpopular and unpleasing to them all as we said it would be exactly because of the misleading campaigns we criticised.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, uscore said:

A very welcome break until the end of the year.  It means we can all, including our team of intrepid negotiators, relax until about mid way through December when we'll  start thinking about it again.

Don't get carried away. At the mo the cliff edge is the end of this week.

Fingers crossed that changes.

21 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

Quoted for truth. This whole new "Strategic Genius May" line is absolutely bonkers and just another way of preserving the dream of The Perfect Brexit The Great British People Were Denied and someone else to blame it on.

Yup. You could give the brexiters the brexit of their dreams and they'd still scream betrayal.

And this is why there's not much point giving much weight to what brexiters say when deciding what to do about brexit, because whatever you do they won't be happy. Other groups can be made happy(er).

And this is why I now think that revoke is the simplest way out of this mess. It'll still be messy, but less messy for less time than we get from the other options.

35 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Don't get carried away. At the mo the cliff edge is the end of this week.

Fingers crossed that changes.

At each juncture I've been very confident that no-deal won't be allowed to happen, and I've no doubt it's the same this time.

2 hours ago, uscore said:

I think it's pretty obvious that whatever type of Brexit we have initially, we'll end up with some sort half-in-half out deal that is far less catastrophic than actually being out of the EU, but not as good as actually being in it.

That's the most likely outcome. Brexiteers talk about trade deals a lot. But the reality of it is that it isn't going to be possible for the UK to negotiate a better trade deal with the EU than they already have as a member, that's (partly) the whole point of the EU! Also the UK negotiating trade deals with the USA and various asian countries is going to be hard for the UK on it's own, negotiating as a memeber of the single market is a much stronger position.

Honestly I'm sick of it now. Although I live in Ireland I feel that to a certain extent I don't really have a horse in this race. As long as it doesn't effect glasto ill be happy enough.

Arguably the worst possible result for anyone that has to actually do anything then.

Delayed until October 31st with a review period and possible early exit during Glasto.

So we can't even operate with the certainty that we'll still be in past June, even though we clearly, definitely will be. 

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

it's enough time for a ref.

All we need to now is to pray that Jez doesn't sell us all out.

I don't think we're getting a referendum via Corbyn.  I'm hoping that another situation develops where parliament delivers one.  Not optimistic.

2 minutes ago, uscore said:

I don't think we're getting a referendum via Corbyn.

that's my worry, that he'll do a deal to sell us all out.

Labour don't want to do the Euros as they know their vote will fall, and Jez wants to keep up the pretence that he's a PM in waiting. That's gone if the Euros are shit (in fact he's maybe gone if the Euros are shit).

Edited by eFestivals

I agree. I think he get some stuff on workers rights and some other things; stuff that's kinda better than nothing but inconsequential compared to the scale of Brexit.  And that's where my support of Corbyn will end permanently.

I've always been quite optimistic about the chances of a second ref, but I'm less so at the moment.  I think something will pass now, if so all we can hope is that we leave as Softly as possible.

As I said yesterday, whatever deal (or lack of deal) we leave with, we'll slowly get more re-entwined with the EU over time, but without having a voice at the table.  Which is fucking stupid.

4 minutes ago, uscore said:

I agree. I think he get some stuff on workers rights and some other things; stuff that's kinda better than nothing but inconsequential compared to the scale of Brexit.  And that's where my support of Corbyn will end permanently.

I've always been quite optimistic about the chances of a second ref, but I'm less so at the moment.  I think something will pass now, if so all we can hope is that we leave as Softly as possible.

As I said yesterday, whatever deal (or lack of deal) we leave with, we'll slowly get more re-entwined with the EU over time, but without having a voice at the table.  Which is fucking stupid.

it comes down to whether Corbyn is playing things to his own advantage, or if he's playing things to the benefit of the Labour Party.

I'm not hopeful. 

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

it comes down to whether Corbyn is playing things to his own advantage, or if he's playing things to the benefit of the Labour Party.

I'm not hopeful. 

I think much like with May, his Mps simply won't vote for the deal if it's a 'sell out'. But then, the Tories won't vote for a customs union.

Another ref will end in Leave again. People are stubborn and a chunk of people who voted remain will vote leave because they've not followed whats going on but 'believe in democracy'.

And when the Leave vote comes in again they'll be even more insufferable. Yey can't wait.

What we really need is time travel or something, maybe we'll get some pointers from Endgame when we find out how they'll beat Thanos.

1 minute ago, priest17 said:

Another ref will end in Leave again. People are stubborn and a chunk of people who voted remain will vote leave because they've not followed whats going on but 'believe in democracy'.

And when the Leave vote comes in again they'll be even more insufferable. Yey can't wait.

What we really need is time travel or something, maybe we'll get some pointers from Endgame when we find out how they'll beat Thanos.

not so sure ... there are quite a few new younger voters ... and did anyone vote for this chaos that is now ongoing with no end in sight ? 

3 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Only Brie Larson can deliver a people’s Brexit.