Brexit at Glasto?

kalifire

2 minutes ago, waterfalls21234 said:

The sheer stupidity of some who back brexit is what worries me.... Listening to some of the oldies in work last weekend talking about it basically. wondering why we don't just say to hell with democracy and walk off holding our ball with no thourght what so ever for any consequences .... Oh and anyone who trys to derail that is a traitor to the nation.......because there's clearly nothing at stake here is there? And how dare the younger generations not want their futures thrown off a cliff with no thourght! 

I just keep my mouth shut it's not even worth arguing with people with such little capacity for basic common sense and logic.....id get more constructive ideas out of the fucking canteen vending machines ???

What amazes me is that it is almost religious in terms of a belief they have - there's absolutely no reasoning with them. And to think 10 years ago no one gave a stuff.

15 minutes ago, hfuhruhurr said:

What amazes me is that it is almost religious in terms of a belief they have - there's absolutely no reasoning with them. And to think 10 years ago no one gave a stuff.

These are the same old guys who spend a lot of time ranting about immigrants until one of the polish lads sits down and suddenly their talking to them like bestie mates ????

2 hours ago, hfuhruhurr said:

I do have my moments where I think they're idiots, but when I'm in a reasonable mood the way I look on it is, we don't make all our decisions in life based on financial calculations. Think of it as a person being miserable at university and they decide to quit with nothing lined up. Remainers are basically the dad going irate "but what are you going to do with your life?!" "How are you going to support yourself?!" "how will you find a job?! You're throwing away your future", but the more he berates them, the more they tune him out- he just wants to get out of that situation he's unhappy with, and figures he'll fathom something out once he's gone. Scare him all you like, he's not going to budge.

So basically to understand it, people aren't economic rationalists, they have other needs (emotional, perception of freedom, defiance etc).

• Upvote 2

I like this one:

Because 13% say leaving without any deal would be "An acceptable compromise" ? Proof if ever there was that a large chunk of people have no idea what the survey questioner is on about but are too embarrassed to say

1 minute ago, Mr.Tease said:

Because 13% say leaving without any deal would be "An acceptable compromise" ? Proof if ever there was that a large chunk of people have no idea what the survey questioner is on about but are too embarrassed to say

and that 13% give themselves away as not understanding.

And because the 'not understandings' don't understand, they should be (in theory) equally scattered around all of the options - which means there's 39% who don't have a clue what they're voting for.

Depressing, isn't it? 

I despair at the amount of time and effort being wasted on a decision that everyone now realises won’t make the country any more prosperous or increase national safety. All this to satisfy zenophobes such as Rees Mogg and careerist politicians such as Boris who see this as a path to the top job. We have such problems in health, education, transport etc etc that require the attention of our elected representatives. We have been dragged into a civil war in the Tory party that’s been raging for decades. Fuck them.

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

I despair at the amount of time and effort being wasted on a decision that everyone now realises won’t make the country any more prosperous or increase national safety. All this to satisfy zenophobes such as Rees Mogg and careerist politicians such as Boris who see this as a path to the top job. We have such problems in health, education, transport etc etc that require the attention of our elected representatives. We have been dragged into a civil war in the Tory party that’s been raging for decades. Fuck them.

On the other hand the Tories are in power so I don’t think for a minute that stuff would have got any better. If anything they have been distracted from making it worse.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, caballosblancos said:

Only a few MPs are going to emerge from the Brexit farce with any cred. But Yvette Cooper is certainly one. 

She may emerge with some credibility but will probably loose her seat as the majority of the voters in her constituency voted "Leave".

It appears there are a few in Germany that have more faith in the UK than the EU, and this is echoed in Italy, Holland, Belgium, Spain...

https://youtu.be/63IcW4eo4uM

https://youtu.be/Czj-e_1dkho

Perhaps if both sides of the debate bothered watching any of the European coverage they would discover Brussels is the problem and needs to reform if the UK Leaves or stays - current budget demands are unsustainable and there may come a time where the UK/Germany can no longer afford to be members of the "EU club".

@PenrhosI’m well up for (fairly significant) reform of the EU, similar to lots of ‘remainers’. It’s downright weird how some people imagine, and then argue about, that remainers think the EU is perfect. 

Cooper may well lose her seat, that’s what happens to MPs, and I imagine she’s cool with that. Don’t you? 

45 minutes ago, Penrhos said:

It appears there are a few in Germany that have more faith in the UK than the EU, and this is echoed in Italy, Holland, Belgium, Spain...

https://youtu.be/63IcW4eo4uM

https://youtu.be/Czj-e_1dkho

Perhaps if both sides of the debate bothered watching any of the European coverage they would discover Brussels is the problem and needs to reform if the UK Leaves or stays - current budget demands are unsustainable and there may come a time where the UK/Germany can no longer afford to be members of the "EU club"..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_for_Germany

Let's be clear who you're claiming represents the rest of Europe here.

No Remainer thinks the EU is perfect, this is one of the great strawmen in the argument - it's better to talk to Remainers and find out their feelings and reasons rather than listen to what those who are against them say they think, and probably a fair sign you haven't.

It's worthwhile. You'll find out you agree on a huge amount more than you're told you do and that we all share the same worries - just different sources of information and trust in them, essentially whether facts matter more than opinion and while the opinion on what might happen is certainly very scary the only way to lose control of it now is to give it up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DeanoL said:

On the other hand the Tories are in power so I don’t think for a minute that stuff would have got any better. If anything they have been distracted from making it worse.

That's an interesting take on it.  Paralyse the tories from fucking things up with something that's too complex to deliver and carry on like nothing's changed! 

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

and that 13% give themselves away as not understanding.

And because the 'not understandings' don't understand, they should be (in theory) equally scattered around all of the options - which means there's 39% who don't have a clue what they're voting for.

Depressing, isn't it? 

If I understand your reasoning correctly, and the 'not understandings' that aren't admitting it are equally divide over "good", "bad" and "acceptable", and all 13% choosing "acceptable" are in fact 'not understandings'... Plus the 12% who admit they "don't know"...

It's actually 51% who are clueless.

Edited by marcoolio

5 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Very true. Last 2 years spent shovelling shit because of a few dozen right wing nutters. In the meantime everything else seems to have been forgotten.

When did austerity end?

Shameless