Brexit at Glasto?

kalifire

39 minutes ago, reflekting said:

Tories slowly but surely will fade into irrelevance in the next 10 years. Fair to say that "broad tent" is getting more and more narrow. 

He's my MP, I didn't vote for him as I didn't want a Tory gov, but he's one of the few Tories who actually held his nose on Brexit so I'll be sad to see him go. 

Sadly the fade into irrelevance is longer than mine in the case of these cun*s I'm afraid.

6 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

As much as it's been criticised, I do think this week highlighted the effectiveness of Labour's Brexit policy, simply because it's managed to hold the PLP together (there were hardly any defections to May's deal)- considering there's such a wide chasm in the PLP between pro-referendum, anti-referendum, pro-brexit, anti-Brexit, which in turn reflects the chasm within labour voters. Sure it's been frustrating and ambiguous, but unfortunately it needed to be. Sure, May's shit deal and her atrocious handling of it helped, but Labour really are in a difficult position. For example, I expect the polls to show a 3-5% drop after yesterday, because despite all the pressure from remainers to adopt their position, whenever they do pivot to remain, their poll rating bizarrely drops by that amount, which I suspect is the UKIPer vote which they managed to capture last election.

So they're caught between their more entrenched voters demanding a more anti-brexit stance, and a sizeable pro-brexit chunk that they need too. It's a bit of a nightmare.

I agree that fence sitting has been a very effective tactic much like Theresa May's can kicking though there comes a point where you have to make a decision.

What worries me is in a GE I suspect Corbyn's policy will be for a Labour Brexit whereas I think it should be negotiate a Labour Brexit it then put it to the people in a confirmation referendum in which MPs can campaign on either side.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, mcshed said:

I agree that fence sitting has been a very effective tactic much like Theresa May's can kicking though there comes a point where you have to make a decision.

What worries me is in a GE I suspect Corbyn's policy will be for a Labour Brexit whereas I think it should be negotiate a Labour Brexit it then put it to the people in a confirmation referendum in which MPs can campaign on either side.

I really don't want to go into an election without Brexit sorted- if Labour adopted a 'soft brexit' for the election campaign, and just scraped a win, all that would happen would be he'd negotiate a deal and it wouldn't pass in parliament and we'd be screwed.

I'm coming round to the idea (think the head of IPPR said it), that if there is an election, we should stand on a "stop brexit, rebuild britain' kind of a slogan- we've wasted enough time on brexit, we need to tackle everything else- hopefully that would resinate even with leave voters. But who knows!

My hope is Monday sees support for soft brexit+second referendum- if not this could drag on for years...

12 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Biggest threat at the moment is if next week May agrees to back a permanent customs union (but nothing on single market) - it may alienate the ERG, but it might win round DUP and enough labour mps. 

This outcome would also alienate the SNP and a the majority of the Scottish public, for who freedom of movement .... a requirement of the single market....is significant. You’re right though, in that it would probably see it through. Expect wee Nicola to announce the latest Indyref straight on the back of it, even further dividing us. 

Cant wait to get to the farm for a temporary emotional respite from some of this crap.

39 minutes ago, bamber said:

Wah wah wah, yeah. yeah. yeah.

Repeating the same thing over and over is the very definition of madness.

We live in the time of madness.

Hold on.

Now then, listen very, very carefully to what Mr Hitchens has to say. It is truly the most accurate  description of our condition that you will ever hear. Ever. This is the truth, or as close to it as you will ever get.

Under the current process Brexit is not solvable. All solutions break the good Friday agreement, and if there is a magic solution, the Scotland will take it and we have no union.

The way to fix it is to change the process, which requires us to revoke and reform.

Edited by hfuhruhurr

55 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

This outcome would also alienate the SNP and a the majority of the Scottish public, for who freedom of movement .... a requirement of the single market....is significant. You’re right though, in that it would probably see it through. Expect wee Nicola to announce the latest Indyref straight on the back of it, even further dividing us. 

Cant wait to get to the farm for a temporary emotional respite from some of this crap.

Hopefully they'll have a live screening of Meaningful Vote 7 at the farm like they do with the world Cup ?

1 hour ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

Truth is no matter what the outcome is the nationalists will use it as an excuse for yet another divisive referendum. They have a cult following. 

2 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Truth is no matter what the outcome is the nationalists will use it as an excuse for yet another divisive referendum. They have a cult following. 

Good luck on them explaining why their referendum result counts if they win! 

16 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

No,It is

nationalists that are the problem here TBH. Bunch of Cun*s they turned out to be,

Edited by bamber

2 hours ago, reflekting said:

Tories slowly but surely will fade into irrelevance in the next 10 years. Fair to say that "broad tent" is getting more and more narrow. 

He's my MP, I didn't vote for him as I didn't want a Tory gov, but he's one of the few Tories who actually held his nose on Brexit so I'll be sad to see him go. 

UKIP hard right entryism into the Tory party complete

2 hours ago, mcshed said:

The person leading the charge for deselection was the UKIP candidate at the last election, yet entryism is always presented as a Labour problem.

And it's labour members who are portrayed as angrily deselecting every mp they disagree with (even though they've not deselected anyone) 

1 hour ago, Scott129 said:

And it's labour members who are portrayed as angrily deselecting every mp they disagree with (even though they've not deselected anyone) 

They did VONC kate Hoey.  But then she was on a platform with Farage and fake Tommy yesterday, so she deserves it.

16 minutes ago, zahidf said:

They did VONC kate Hoey.  But then she was on a platform with Farage and fake Tommy yesterday, so she deserves it.

Yeah true, she's in one of the most pro remain constituencies too. For the record I have no problem with local members choosing who they want to represent them. But the press outrage to when labour members do it to compared to when tories do it is ridiculous 

Voting for the fourth time about May's deal? I get these are special times, but it sounds ridiculous. If it's accepted only because now MPs feel a real sense of urgency, is it suddenly a good deal then? (Yes of course, it's politics, hardly caring about what's best for the country.)

If they say 'but circumstances have changed', why not a second referendum? At least you could blame it on the people (sort of). And usually I'm against referenda...

Just frustration talking here, world of politics...

Guess it's a new extension for 8-12 months, GE, a hijacked EU elections... 

32 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

B4B4480E-2A9D-4992-8FBD-71712E26DEEC.thumb.jpeg.9fd726d34572b2cf2d1561af5fe8c71b.jpeg

Ha Ha

This Cu*t was in parliament square today, advocating a far right, no-deal Brexit . The mere fact that this is allowed to happen is testament to how far we have sunk in this country.

brexit-day-protests-18.jpg

His name is Stephen Yaxley Lennon, for some inexplicable reason he chooses to suppress this?

Edited by bamber