Brexit at Glasto?

kalifire

Was desperate to come down but received some horrendous family news yesterday so couldn't make the trip. Gutted.

Looks like a superb effort. The optimist in me thinks if May doesn't want to make a decision whatsoever now her deal is dead that the petition and the march gives her an easier way out in terms of proposing a second referendum, given the huge numbers and the amount of press involved.

Just waiting for my train back to the sticks. 

Couldn't tell the size of the march, but it was so busy it was far more of a shuffle than a march. Slower than Gate D queue at 11am on Wednesday morning. Reports of a million do not sound exaggerated. 

I was fairly near the back of the group, and only made it as far as the end of Piccadilly - didn't get close to Trafalgar Square, never mind parliament. 

As you'd expect, very diverse crowd, lots of humour within serious messages. A group of 16-18 year olds scaled some scaffolding to act as cheerleaders on Piccadilly. 

Will it make a difference, no idea. But glad I went and added to the voices. A lot of friends couldn't go because of cost and work, and I imagine this was the case for many there - the no. of people 'represented' is huge. 

Favourite placards: 

"Pulling out doesn't work, ask my parents"

"Total Dis May"

And, my personal choice,

"Cameron is a bellend"

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, Titters said:

Will it make a difference, no idea.

You probably do. Marches never do, because you're against a system. But it was still worth it, and just maybe you could have helped to persuade one or two MPs to vote in your direction.

Tom Watson flying the Labour flag at the march in the absence of coward Corbyn.

Mr Watson, pleading to Theresa May, said he would help her get her deal over the line, but only if it is then put to a people's vote.

"I will help you get it over the line to prevent a disastrous no deal Brexit.

"But I can only vote for a deal if you let the people vote on it too."

Edited by ghostdancer1

Love how BBC are still refusing to accept the size of the crowds. "millions joined protest...organisers say".

I don't think I've ever posted about politics on here, but kudos to those marching today and I notice the petition is approaching 5 million, for what that's worth. For the first time in a long while there seems a degree of hope with brexshit. May's deal isn't happening and I think no deal is just an empty threat at this stage, so I can only see the people's vote gathering more momentum. 

Here's the Common Market 2.0 / Norway+ proposal :

http://betterbrexit.org.uk

I still think its the best way out of this mess (and by best I mean most likely to actually have a majority in parliament and also is the least risky, as with second referendum you have a good chance of losing), plus you keep freedom of movement which is they key thing for a lot of remainers. And it would have minimal impact economically. Leavers get control over fish?

Tbh, over the last 48 hours, I genuinely thinking revoking A50 is firmly on the table. May's deal is dead. It's never even going to a people's vote, MPs won't trust us to not do something stupid. Similarly No Deal is drifting away.... a revoke, General Election and then.... well whoever wins...

May has made such a fuck up of Brexit that I can see even brexiteers think, revoke and start again is the best option.

Brexiteers know now that the only way to get any sort of Brexit is to reach across to Labour and go for some sort of customs union. Amusingly, for the hard core ERG, May's deal was actually the best Brexit they could have had...and they voted it down. Anything else is going to be softer than a Mr Whippy on Brighton seafront in a 30°C heatwave.

Edited by Keithy

39 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Tbh, over the last 48 hours, I genuinely thinking revoking A50 is firmly on the table. May's deal is dead. It's never even going to a people's vote, MPs won't trust us to not do something stupid. Similarly No Deal is drifting away.... a revoke, General Election and then.... well whoever wins...

May has made such a fuck up of Brexit that I can see even brexiteers think, revoke and start again is the best option.

Brexiteers know now that the only way to get any sort of Brexit is to reach across to Labour and go for some sort of customs union. Amusingly, for the hard core ERG, May's deal was actually the best Brexit they could have had...and they voted it down. Anything else is going to be softer than a Mr Whippy on Brighton seafront in a 30°C heatwave.

Their trump card is that no deal is the default position, if nothing else is agreed, so if remainers/soft brexiteers can't get their act together and unite around either Norway+ or second referendum (or both via a confirmation referendum) , then ultimately it will go back to being May's deal or no deal. I don't think the ERG are done yet (will be as soon as there's a majority for something, which may not happen)