Brexit at Glasto?

kalifire

I wonder if this meeting tonight is May saying pass my deal with an amendment for a confirmatory referendum. Gets around the whole not being able to push a second vote on the same thing as well. 

Seems far too sensible of an option though.

3 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

I wonder if this meeting tonight is May saying pass my deal with an amendment for a confirmatory referendum. Gets around the whole not being able to push a second vote on the same thing as well. 

that would be a decent compromise, given where we are.

3 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Hasn't any deal got to get through the Lords afterwards as well? Unless they invoke the 'Lords override' clause that was put in place around about the time of the Iraq war?

yep - any deal, any extension, revoking, you name it. 

I've ordered extra popcorn. Might as well sit back and enjoy it wherever it goes. ;) 

In HoC over the last hour you can see a few Con MPs pushing the narrative that no deal is not the scaremongering issue that people are making it, one compared it to the millennium countdown/reset that came to nothing!! - there are a few here being very dismissive, it's unbelievable tbh 

Few talking sense as well but how the frig do we get past this?

The point that the letter was sent so late today that because of some country's time-zones the letter will not be considered now until Monday is insane! ??

45 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

She's a one track record so it won't be. Here's the standard script she'll pump out:

Respecting the referendum bla blah blah

Clear it's a choice between my deal with a small technical extention or we leave on March 29th with no deal (will reference EU leaders saying this). 

People of this country blah blah blah

I have met with and listened to opposition parties blah blah blah

Deliver brexit

Zzzzzzzzzzzz

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

this, I reckon, is a far better bet than Corbyn's CU+ thing.

Fools, they're undercutting the rest of the party at the moment when May's about to have to surrender everything (if she loses the vote she is finally done and will have to ask for a long extension and give up control over the reasoning for it). I knew theyd cave. Let's hope the ERG rebels out number them. 

1 minute ago, Mr.Tease said:

Fools, they're undercutting the rest of the party at the moment when May's about to have to surrender everything

I've been hearing how the tory party is about to rip itself apart from before the ref, during the ref, after the ref, at the election, and at every critical moment all the way thru. How's that going? ;)

Not sure May's going to surrender anything when she's still the one holding the cards. Think she'd prefer taking the country over a cliff than split the tories.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I've been hearing how the tory party is about to rip itself apart from before the ref, during the ref, after the ref, at the election, and at every critical moment all the way thru. How's that going? ;)

Not sure May's going to surrender anything when she's still the one holding the cards. Think she'd prefer taking the country over a cliff than split the tories.

Ha! A stopped clock is right twice a day, so it must happen eventually ?

If she loses she has to ask for a lengthy extension. EU will insist on a plan to agree to that so she can't just say "my deal again" - she has to change tact at that point (though I admit I have thought that many times in the past few months) - that's when there would be maximum leverage for a second referendum, a softer brexit etc. To undercut that now is foolish. 

38 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

She's a one track record so it won't be. Here's the standard script she'll pump out:

Clear it's a choice between my deal with a small technical extention or we leave on March 29th with no deal (will reference EU leaders saying this). 

Deliver brexit

Zzzzzzzzzzzz

She’ll also say ‘deliver a Brexit that takes control of our borders, laws and money’ (though she may mix up the order of the three to keep things fresh).

7 minutes ago, Homer said:

She’ll also say ‘deliver a Brexit that takes control of our borders, laws and money’ (though she may mix up the order of the three to keep things fresh).

Delivering the will of the British people!

46 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Fools, they're undercutting the rest of the party at the moment when May's about to have to surrender everything (if she loses the vote she is finally done and will have to ask for a long extension and give up control over the reasoning for it). I knew theyd cave. Let's hope the ERG rebels out number them. 

I wonder if the ERG are thinking that they're tantalisingly so close to the no deal exit they crave that they'll vote against the deal.

1 hour ago, Mr.Tease said:

Deliver brexit

Zzzzzzzzzzzz

I reckon you're right. But once again I'm sat here waiting for her to announce absolutely nothing. We'll see shortly.

6 hours ago, hfuhruhurr said:

We'll be marching on Saturday - whether the people's vote is the best solution to this or not, we've got to show up and be counted.

My wife and I will be there too. I don't think the march will change anything but in 20 years time when I'm asked how I voted and what I did U want to be able to say I voted against Brexit and marched against it.

• Upvote 1

Why does May keep saying the EU elections will be divisive, we'll have to fight them with her extension anyway. 

Madness that she is pinning the blame for this on Parliament, rather than her cabinet who has been 'in charge' for 3 years. 

Mps should amend her deal so that she has to negotiate a long  extension and then reject it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Homer said:

Nailed it. What an utterly pointless statement. If she loses the vote again next week surely she'll resign.

1 minute ago, zero000 said:

Nailed it. What an utterly pointless statement. If she loses the vote again next week surely she'll resign.

Well she did manage to further piss off the very mps she needs to win over by blaming them rather than accepting any personal responsibility. She’s awful, but likely the right wing press will play ball and we’ll wake up with headlines trying to pressure mps into voting for her deal. “May throws down the guantlet” etc