Brexit at Glasto?

kalifire

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

:o Got any sources for that?  That sounds awful.

I can't find a specific source but I believe it was part of the judgment on whether article 50 can be unilaterally revoked. From a legal standpoint the judgment on revocation after extension would only be persuasive. As Neil's said theres different legal viewpoints on it, but its certainly not a risk the uk would want to find themselves in. 

An MP said it during the debate on MV2 as well but cant remember which one  

So to conclude I'm completely useless to you on this 

1 hour ago, Mr.Tease said:

Suppose mps could still regroup after the deal passes then push for a Norway brexit to avoid the backstop being ultimately activated

The problem with this is the political declaration is legally binding and tied to the withdrawal agreement. And the political declaration sets out a free trade agreement rather than norway style. 

Not sure if that would have an affect in practice but its certainly a concern for those who would want to go down that route

Just now, eFestivals said:

or no-deal or 2nd vote or revoking a50.

Impossible to 2nd guess a bunch of headbangers and fruitcakes.

True. I suppose the one thing we can count on is the complete fucking ignorance and stubborn pig headed-ness of May to just carry on trying the same shit expecting a different result.... insanity at its most basic 

1 minute ago, Scott129 said:

The political declaration is legally binding though?

nope. Just the Withdrawal Agreement.

The political declaration is politically important to May, because it says "after you leave we're willing to negotiate a FTA with frictionless borders [subject to technology], etc" so May can claim that her plan leads to the promised land.

I wish just one person could explain to a political layman like me just WTF is going on. I've yet to hear from anyone, politician, analyst, journalist, geezer in the street who can give me (impartial) facts rather than opinions. I suppose it's such an unprecedented situation that no one actually knows! And for me that's been the problem since day feckin one. 

Edited by Supernintendo Chalmers

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

that's an offer the anti-brexiters can't accept, surely? It's very likely to mean a hard-brexiter becomes her replacement.

I think that's the crux of the issue for opposition parties. Why would you accept May's resignation if it just means Johnson/Raab come in. They'd at least require a general election. 

But for brexiteer tories it could tilt the balance I suppose. They would still be bound by the backstop when negotiating the FTA though

I'm a labour supporter, I want a general election but it doesn't solve the issues at hand. We could easily end up with another minority government and still not be able to pass anything on brexit. 

If one is happening, then I hope May stays as leader for it because it would completely split the tories

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

much too late for a general election to sort anything, and it wo9uld just replace one split party with another. Plus I just can't see enough support for Corbyn's pointless plan of "remain and lose the ability to reform".

If May backed a permanent customs union (Corbyn's plan) then it would get through. Only seems like theres no support because more sensible tory mps wouldn't dare vote for a labour amendment

Edited by Scott129

1 minute ago, Scott129 said:

I'm a labour supporter, I want a general election but it doesn't solve the issues at hand. We could easily end up with another minority government and still not be able to pass anything on brexit. 

If one is happening, then I hope May stays as leader for it because it would completely split the tories

I'm a Labour (and Corbyn) supporter but I've never got why the Tories seem to assume they'll lose an election- I do think they have a pretty good shot at winning one.

The thing is, even if there is another minority gvt, all parties will have to have re-clarified their positions in the election, so MPs have less ground to rebel vs their parties line after the election, so I think there's a higher chance of something passing. Plus the options by then will be essentially May's deal vs no deal as there will be no more scope for an extension.

Just now, shoptildrop said:

So what the hell will that mean to the Brexit chaos????

It actually should sort it out, simply because after it all other options bar her deal and no deal will have been exhausted as possibilities. Likely she'll go for one on the same day as the local elections.