Brexit at Glasto?

kalifire

4 hours ago, kalifire said:

If the government extend Brexit day by three months, as they've implied they'd seek to do if parliament votes for an extension, that would schedule the new day the UK exits the EU for Glastonbury Friday.

In some ways, the farm would be a lovely place just to get away from all that. In another sense, it would be the perfect place to see some real time debate and discussion in Left Field.

Would this scenario impact your festival much?

There are so many variables - if they extend I’ve heard it’s likely to be for two months. There’s no guarantee that EU27 will agree to extend at all. Should your scenario become reality, then where better place than at Worthy Farm to celebrate/commiserate?

Here’s something else to consider though. What if we get to a position where a General Election is called, or the public gets to vote on May’s deal, and the date is Thursday 27th June? (Unlikely I know, but stranger things happen...)

2016 was my worst Glasto. Brexit along with the weather definitely contributed to it. As a European who has lived in the UK since I was 17 (now 41) it devastated me and felt very personal. I'm glad I was at Glastonbury there was no better place to be but it still affected my mood. I am hoping against hope that a second vote can be agreed and that it doesn't affect another Glastonbury. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

unfortunately a vote against no-deal today doesn't take no-deal off the table. :( 

Firstly it's the default in UK law, and UK law would need to be changed to stop that default.

Secondly, a50 would have to be extended or revoked to stop no-deal on 29th March.

But even an extension to a50 keeps no-deal as the default - and takes away control by the UK govt for what happens - as no-deal becomes what happens at the end of the extension if a deal isn't agreed by then, with the EU having sole control of what happens beyond that.

Revoking a50 is the only way to take no-deal off the table.

Oh balls.

We're going to be stuck dealing with Brexit forever, aren't we?

32 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

More likely we'll leave without a deal in a couple of weeks time and be left dealing with the consequences forever 

If that's the case, we should all band together and barricade ourselves in Glastonbury.

The festival can't end if no one can leave.

• Upvote 1

It was an awful moment in 2016 but nowhere in the world I'd rather have been for it - the swells of emotion and unity from the crowd brought back hope from a feeling of despair.

The extension end date falling in Glastonbury would be awful for the festival I think - too much uncertainty, bands would change plans and punters not risk their journeys - but again if it did end up a proper last minute tits-up there's nowhere I'd rather be.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, frostypaw said:

It was an awful moment in 2016 but nowhere in the world I'd rather have been for it - the swells of emotion and unity from the crowd brought back hope from a feeling of despair.

The extension end date falling in Glastonbury would be awful for the festival I think - too much uncertainty, bands would change plans and punters not risk their journeys - but again if it did end up a proper last minute tits-up there's nowhere I'd rather be.

I had to cancel my Glastonbury ticket that year (the only one I've missed since I started going in 2011), and that really was a bad day wherever. Watching footage from Glastonbury definitely lifted my spirits but would've done anything to be part of that big hopeful mud-fest.

5 hours ago, jackarmy said:

That Friday morning in 2016 was really fucking grim. Starting the day with the Jo Cox tribute, set to Portishead's haunting cover of S.O.S, before the Syrian Orchestra and Damon, on a massive comedown, with all that mud.

Damon that morning has stayed in the memory. He was bereft.

3 hours ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Just leave up the fence and create Evistown1

5 hours ago, Kinkyinuit said:

If that's the case, we should all band together and barricade ourselves in Glastonbury.

The festival can't end if no one can leave.

No upvotes left, but I concur! I'd give up a proper bed and regular showers to escape this shitstorm! (Though that may just be the fallow year talking!)

• Upvote 1

What are people who have to fly in thinking? Coming from Ireland I'm pretty confident we'll be alright as even in the event of a disorderly exit we'll still have some sort of free travel arangement.

Does anyone know for sure what effects a hard brexit at the end of this month would have on the festival?

11 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Does anyone know for sure what effects a hard brexit at the end of this month would have on the festival?

Does anyone know for sure what effect a hard brexit would have on anything?

It's clearly time that we just forget all about leaving and carry on with our lives.

(I'm sure getting to Glasto will be fine)

Hate being the voice of doom, but I don't think there'll be an extension. It'll be no deal and we crash out on 29th March. Carole Cadwalladr reported today that Wigmore and Banks have been in Italy "persuading" Matteo Salvini (probably with roubles) to make sure any request from UK for A50 extension is vetoed by Italy. Kawczynski has been doing the same in Poland, according to Private Eye.

We'll be in need of some escapism come June ?

Coming over from Australia in 2016 and seeing the devastation of the Brexit vote , and then again the 2018 near destruction of Theresa May's majority 

I seem to recall Thom Yorke saying 'Ta Ta Theresa'

I  sort of take it for granted that  this year we will see something equally dramatic against the backdrop of Glastonbury,  perhaps an announcement of a new referendum?

Surely not too late to avert disaster.

Edited by BlackZeppelin