Brexit at Glasto?

kalifire

If the government extend Brexit day by three months, as they've implied they'd seek to do if parliament votes for an extension, that would schedule the new day the UK exits the EU for Glastonbury Friday.

In some ways, the farm would be a lovely place just to get away from all that. In another sense, it would be the perfect place to see some real time debate and discussion in Left Field.

Would this scenario impact your festival much?

Edited by kalifire

If that was the next leave date and leave happens or doesn't happen, even though it might not affect some people it would affect others which in turn would have an affect on the festivals atmosphere, to some degree. I really hope that is not the possible next leave date.

Of course leave by no deal could still accidentally happen on 29th March according to the media... ?

1 hour ago, kalifire said:

If the government extend Brexit day by three months, as they've implied they'd seek to do if parliament votes for an extension, that would schedule the new day the UK exits the EU for Glastonbury Friday.

In some ways, the farm would be a lovely place just to get away from all that. In another sense, it would be the perfect place to see some real time debate and discussion in Left Field.

At the farm when the shitstorm began. 

Then there when it's done (or really kicks off).

Nice.

I'm fucking off to Holland on 28 March. If is all goes down with no deal with any luck i won't be allowed back into the UK and i can seek asylum in the NL.

3 minutes ago, Woffy said:

At the farm when the shitstorm began. 

Then there when it's done (or really kicks off).

Nice.

I'm fucking off to Holland on 28 March. If is all goes down with no deal with any luck i won't be allowed back into the UK and i can seek asylum in the NL.

I don't blame you for getting out of Dodge....

The 'accidentally leave' thing is highly unlikely and was talked about in late February. 

The Friday morning was extraordinary. Not going to lie it did affect me and my friends, lots and lots of ranting. However I was so glad I was at the farm as the day did soften the blow, if at home I would have been totally wrapped in it, at the farm I could escape.

The main impact was me swapping the sublime Sigur Ros for the brute force of Muse as my Friday headliner. I just need some cathartic NOISE to work through my emotions.

This was the one occasion where I felt the feeling of escape that the festival gives you the most and I was so grateful for it.

3 hours ago, kalifire said:

Not as much as compared to 2016.  Trying to shake off a hangover while being confronted with that news made the day a lot more difficult to get going.

If Brexit day happened over Glastonbury, I don't think it would make too much of a difference.  I'm assuming by that point we would know we would be leaving so at least I would be able to mentally adjust.

I guess after todays no deal vote, we have a slightly better idea of what is going to happen next.

7 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

hmm. I reckon some bands would back out, worried that they wouldn't be able to get to their next show.

Yeah, not just the acts themselves, you only need your equipment (or even just part of it) to be held up at customs for a few hours and things are proper screwed. Legal/insurance minefield as to who (if anybody) is liable. Particularly if you’re on a tight schedule and playing back to back nights. Bigger bands would find it not worth the risk, I reckon. 

I might be in the minority here and it's a complex thought but the news on that Friday morning in 2016 actually contributed to the sense of community and unity I felt at the festival. It made the festival ethos really come alive and the bubble that we were all existing in seemed like so much of a better place to be. It made me feel hope, and solidarity among others at a time where the outside world seemed to be projecting the opposite. So 2016 was actually my favourite Glastonbury and one of the reasons why was the emotions that were felt all weekend which were certainly linked to the Brexit result.

So yes I think it would affect my festival in 2019, but as others had said, there's no better place to be when it all kicks off than at Glastonbury surrounded by a real sense of community and togetherness rather than isolation.

• Like 2

Just now, eFestivals said:

hmm. I reckon some bands would back out, worried that they wouldn't be able to get to their next show.

1 minute ago, Mardy said:

Yeah, not just the acts themselves, you only need your equipment (or even just part of it) to be held up at customs for a few hours and things are proper screwed. Legal/insurance minefield as to who (if anybody) is liable. Particularly if you’re on a tight schedule and playing back to back nights. Bigger bands would find it not worth the risk, I reckon. 

Selfishly, I was just thinking of my own enjoyment.

I guess it comes down to what happens today and if No Deal is taken off the table.  If so, common sense will have prevailed and we can hopefully navigate our way out of this mess

10 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

I guess it comes down to what happens today and if No Deal is taken off the table. 

unfortunately a vote against no-deal today doesn't take no-deal off the table. :( 

Firstly it's the default in UK law, and UK law would need to be changed to stop that default.

Secondly, a50 would have to be extended or revoked to stop no-deal on 29th March.

But even an extension to a50 keeps no-deal as the default - and takes away control by the UK govt for what happens - as no-deal becomes what happens at the end of the extension if a deal isn't agreed by then, with the EU having sole control of what happens beyond that.

Revoking a50 is the only way to take no-deal off the table.

Edited by eFestivals