Camping Equipment Provider for Foreigners

rockyloop

Now that Cozy Camper and Camplight are not coming back to the festival, does anyone know what the options are for people that need camping equipment provided? We're coming from Canada so it would be great to just be able to rent or have the equipment already at the site. 

I messaged Glastonbury and they said there won't be any camping equipment providers on site at the festival. Which is ridiculous. They just said hopefully we can get something in the Worthy View resale. 

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I thought Brexit meant you lot wouldn't be allowed ?

there are usually quite a few stalls selling camping gear, I think you can get near enough what ever you want, you could turn up with nothing and buy everything .... I wouldn't do that but you get my drift . I forgot my bed one year and bought one there no worries

Really?  That's shocking.

I can think a few options at the moment, one would be to reserve the required camping equipment at an Outdoor store (such as Blacks or Millets) at a location close to where you are flying in to / travelling by.  At least you wouldn't have to carry it *as* far.

Or

You could find a lovely person on this forum who would pack your tent etc in their car so that it can be picked up by you on the wednesday 

OR 

Don't bother with getting a tent. Walk to where you want to camp. Loudly exclaim that you will offer the market value for someones tent and camping gear.  It is highly likely that you will find a taker

I am wondering if there are no camping equipment suppliers to try to prevent people buying cheap and disposing. The sheer number of people buying inflatable mattresses already inflated with no bag to put them in means that they for starters will all be left - (I'm just thinking out loud)

I would say reserve at a camping shop and stop off to collect, or try to get Worthy view although you would still need to bring sleeping bags etc but would save a tent

This might sound ignorant, apologize if it does...but are there camping shops located conveniently in London proper? We're flying from NY to Berlin for 4 nights then over to London on Monday and leaving for Glasto on Wed. We're only bringing our backpacks with us from the US, so we'll need to purchase at minimum a tent, couple inflatable pillows, and a blanket or two.

There are plenty of camping stores London but it's a huge place and you need to look for ones online close to where you will be. The main problem with travelling light is that you're limited to the amount of gear up can carry and this often impacts on the quality of the equipment. As seasoned Glasto veterans know all to well, the unpredictability of the British summer can extremely quickly turn the site into a veritable mudbath in which  the occupants of poor tents will suffer badly.

I think its a fantastic move by the festival to stop so much waste. Theres other off site pre erected camping. Im sorry its harder for people coming from abroad but something drastic has to be done to stop the waste. As a matter of interest @rockyloop what were you planning on doing with your gear when you've finished with it? 

16 hours ago, Kinkyinuit said:

I can think a few options at the moment, one would be to reserve the required camping equipment at an Outdoor store (such as Blacks or Millets) at a location close to where you are flying in to / travelling by.  At least you wouldn't have to carry it *as* far.

If you used Blacks/Millets then you can also click & collect from JD Sports as part of the same company so maybe nearer where you are departing from.

17 hours ago, rockyloop said:

Now that Cozy Camper and Camplight are not coming back to the festival, does anyone know what the options are for people that need camping equipment provided? We're coming from Canada so it would be great to just be able to rent or have the equipment already at the site. 

I messaged Glastonbury and they said there won't be any camping equipment providers on site at the festival. Which is ridiculous. They just said hopefully we can get something in the Worthy View resale. 

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I've just been looking through the offical website and see that all mentions of camping supplies being available on site have been removed. Does that mean that things like chairs and blow up mattress's have been banned from being sold.

I can understand it as i'm sure a lot of whats bought is left behind by people.

It will i'm sure really impact a lot of people if this isn't clearly communicated at some time in the future as i see loads of trade going on at all those stalls.

Any one have any other information please share.

19 minutes ago, drunk pumpkin said:

I've just been looking through the offical website and see that all mentions of camping supplies being available on site have been removed. Does that mean that things like chairs and blow up mattress's have been banned from being sold.

It will i'm sure really impact a lot of people if this isn't clearly communicated at some time in the future as i see loads of trade going on at all those stalls.

Any one have any other information please share.

On the one hand, I agree with GF's decision.  The ubiquity of camping supplies being sold on site contributes massively to the amount of abandoned stuff.  It's truly heartbreaking to see fields of deserted tents and gear on monday and a concerted effort by all needs to happen if we are to reduce waste.

On the other hand,  camping equipment brings a lot of revenue for the stalls and goes a long way to covering the pitch fees, I'm concerned that this ban could threaten some traders who rely on the revenue from those sales.

That and it leaves people who are unable to bring camping equipment with them or require a replacement due to damage/missing parts quite vulnerable. 

6 minutes ago, drunk pumpkin said:

If true then it can only be welcomed as a positive change. Over the years I've seen lots of people come under-prepared and so made purchases impulse or otherwise of camp comforts. I don't want to tarnish all this who make such buys with a broad brush but an awful lot of this gear just seems to get left. I must profess, I can't understand those who leave stuff, create waste and seemingly don't appreciate the environment and the value of  their hard earned money.

.....Still one man's trash is another man's gift. Had some very useful gear from festivals over the years, tents, cookers, spare gazebo parts, the works lol 

46 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

On the one hand, I agree with GF's decision.  The ubiquity of camping supplies being sold on site contributes massively to the amount of abandoned stuff.  It's truly heartbreaking to see fields of deserted tents and gear on monday and a concerted effort by all needs to happen if we are to reduce waste.

On the other hand,  camping equipment brings a lot of revenue for the stalls and goes a long way to covering the pitch fees, I'm concerned that this ban could threaten some traders who rely on the revenue from those sales.

That and it leaves people who are unable to bring camping equipment with them or require a replacement due to damage/missing parts quite vulnerable. 

I agree with all your points. 

Definetly seems that if this is that stance they have taken then the festival really is doing all it can to reduce the waste left behind and I do applaued them. 

i just hope they clearly communicate the change on the website and in the information they provide with the tickets as lots of people will be caught out.

Not sure if this will also put more pressure on those travelling by coach to bring more with them

46 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

The fact that someone may miss out if certain sales are discouraged is a weak argument for continuing practises if in doing so it causes greater issues.

17 hours ago, gearbm95 said:

This might sound ignorant, apologize if it does...but are there camping shops located conveniently in London proper? We're flying from NY to Berlin for 4 nights then over to London on Monday and leaving for Glasto on Wed. We're only bringing our backpacks with us from the US, so we'll need to purchase at minimum a tent, couple inflatable pillows, and a blanket or two.

You're going to need a bit more than a couple of inflatable pillows and a blanket or too. It can get very cold at night and even be quite tepid during the day. Besides a decent quality tent with enough room for you and all your gear for 5 days suggest a minimum of sleeping bags and foam mats are needed, as well as torches etc. And If you like your comfort may be you need invest in airbeds or self inflating airbeds.

The other thing to consider is the unpredictability of the British weather and the predilection for Glasto to be either a dust bowl or mudbath. Considering that 50% of the fests I've been to have been cold & wet and that our last 2 summers have been warm and dry, what's the chances of this year making it 3 dry on the bounce ? 

17 hours ago, gearbm95 said:

This might sound ignorant, apologize if it does...but are there camping shops located conveniently in London proper?

Yes, there's loads of most things in London! Chain camping shops in central London include Cotswold Outdoors, Blacks, and Decathlon, do a maps search for those and see what's most convenient. You can usually order online and collect at the shop to save time (although obviously you might prefer to test things out before buying). Argos stores also sell camping gear, although you won't be able to look at/try anything there before buying, they're basically storerooms with a counter. 

24 minutes ago, Lycra said:

The fact that someone may miss out if certain sales are discouraged is a weak argument for continuing practises if in doing so it causes greater issues.

I agree to an extent.  If the traders have been made fully aware of this direction when they apply/pay for a pitch, then that's absolutely fine.  The concern was based on if traders were unaware or hadn't factored this into their projected profits. As pitches can be extremely expensive, the potential to negatively impact a lot of independent traders is high.  

The same goes for all attendees - As long as they are all aware that camping equipment will not be available on site, then we can plan accordingly (and hope that nothing gets forgotten / broken / lost in transit!).

Decathlon - order what you need before you arrive, either to a store or to a convenient ASDA (UK version of Walmart).

Their website seems to be hiding them at the moment, but their 2 person popup is good for one person and stuff, their three person popup is OK for two friendly people, but doesn't leave a lot of room for stuff.

They have good value airbeds and sleeping bags as well - someone will have a pump nearby!

However - please, at the very least, pack up your stuff and mark it as clean and safe for salvage, or better, take it with you / actively get someone else to take it.  Don't just abandon it!

11 minutes ago, gearbm95 said:

Anyone aware of places in London that will accept lightly used tents, sleeping bags, air beds etc? We plan on packing our stuff up at Glasto but not bringing it back to the US.

I think a charity shop would accept them or indeed any homeless charity- as Shelter have a representation at the festival running bars- maybe worth talking to them?

1 hour ago, Kinkyinuit said:

I agree to an extent.  If the traders have been made fully aware of this direction when they apply/pay for a pitch, then that's absolutely fine.  The concern was based on if traders were unaware or hadn't factored this into their projected profits. As pitches can be extremely expensive....

I would expect GFL control what is permitted to be sold onsite. From other threads I am aware that some traders have not been invited back this year.

As for foreign festival goers, it is the nature of the beast in that travel and accommodation plans will need to be made. And getting pre-erected tents or having camping gear delivered to a fest is a luxury not the norm....as seasoned festival goers will know.

We are definitely NOT going to leave gear behind. We'll pack up everything we bring.

Also, Glasto said there will be stalls selling camping gear onsite. They just confirmed that for me for anyone that was worried.

So I was obviously mistaken, but I thought Cozy Camper and Camplight were like RENTED camping gear for festivals. So they set it up for you and then take it down so that nothing gets left behind. I'm surprised there is no such service as it seems so many people leave their stuff behind. At least with rented gear it can be re-used every year and nothing is left at the festival site. I guess it might be a sanitation thing?

1 hour ago, rockyloop said:

I was obviously mistaken, but I thought Cozy Camper and Camplight were like RENTED camping gear for festivals. So they set it up for you and then take it down so that nothing gets left behind. I'm surprised there is no such service as it seems so many people leave their stuff behind. At least with rented gear it can be re-used every year and nothing is left at the festival site. I guess it might be a sanitation thing?

I think Cosy Camper are a camping equipment store who are not attending this year. Please correct me anyone if I'm wrong.

Camplight are an independent provider of pre-erected tents who have chosen not to attend this year for reasons not totally clear. Though it has been suggested they had been asked to relocate to a site outside the festival fence, as other independent providers are. I can see however that this would cause them difficulty as Camplight, from their website, do not provide sanitation services, catering etc.