Hip-Hop/Grime at Glasto 2019

jackmerton

Hello! I'm fairly new to the forum, and I was just wondering if there are many Hip-Hop fans on the site, and wanted to gauge any predictions/hopes for any potential Hip-Hop/Grime acts at the festival this year? Also I'd love to hear any fond (or not so fond) memories people have of Hip-Hop at Glasto from previous years? 

Personally after really hoping Kendrick Lamar would headline this year, I've had to give up on that and pray that the Childish Gambino rumours are true. Saw him at Lovebox last year and he was hands down one of the best performers I've ever seen - real energy, intensity and his vocal performance was on point. I'd love to see Loyle Carner return, as well as some classic Hip-Hop DJ's like DJ Premier and Grandmaster Flash.

My favourite previous memory of a Hip-Hop act at Glasto has to be Kanye on the Pyramid Stage (don't shoot me), as I've been a huge fan since 2004, and was right up front for it. Great night! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jackmerton said:

Hello! I'm fairly new to the forum, and I was just wondering if there are many Hip-Hop fans on the site, and wanted to gauge any predictions/hopes for any potential Hip-Hop/Grime acts at the festival this year? Also I'd love to hear any fond (or not so fond) memories people have of Hip-Hop at Glasto from previous years? 

Personally after really hoping Kendrick Lamar would headline this year, I've had to give up on that and pray that the Childish Gambino rumours are true. Saw him at Lovebox last year and he was hands down one of the best performers I've ever seen - real energy, intensity and his vocal performance was on point. I'd love to see Loyle Carner return, as well as some classic Hip-Hop DJ's like DJ Premier and Grandmaster Flash.

My favourite previous memory of a Hip-Hop act at Glasto has to be Kanye on the Pyramid Stage (don't shoot me), as I've been a huge fan since 2004, and was right up front for it. Great night! 

2016 was a damn good year for hip hop at Glasto imo. Vince was a delight despite the miserable day, Blackalicious a sweet little gig after the headliners - well up for more like that. Oddisee great fun, Little Simz was on after and she was pretty awful sadly, but I’d see her again.

Loved RTJ both times they played but the latest time was best; the graduation to the Pyramid, how much it meant to Mike after his mum passed and of course being able to hear them was good.

Wasn’t too into Ye’s performance personally. Chance was decent, but wasn’t so much a fan back then. I think that’s about the extent of my experience with hip hop at Glasto

If I’m there I wouldn’t be missing Wu Tang even if it’s the B-team. Slowthai would be a good one to check from the TBC names as well. Plenty of quality names around at the time so hopefully a few are snapped up; Vince has gone from strength to strength since playing so it’d be fantastic to see him come back.

I've not seen as much Hip Hop/Grime as I'd like at Glastonbury - I usually get a good fix of that at Reading these days, though.

Memories:

NERD - not-so-secret set at the Pyramid in 2009.   Was pretty terrible and probably the stuff of legend now.   Turned up late, got cut off, declared that 100,000 people had come out to see NERD, tried to carry on performing without sound.

Roll Deep - In one of the old dance tents in 2010.   Really awful, nightclub PA type stuff and missing some key members if I recall correctly.

Chip - opening the Other Stage on one of the days in 2011 (maybe the first day?)  He was in his pop phase then so not much grime going on but it was a nice enough way to ease into the day.

Tinie Tempah - I know his output is mostly terrible pop, but his Pyramid set in 2011 was an absolute blast.  

M.I.A. - Headlining West Holts in 2014 was bloody brilliant.

Run The Jewels - absolutely loved both the 2015 and 2017 sets.   West Holts had the edge for me.   Brilliant, up for it crowd and they came on as the sun emerged following a heavy downpour.  Everyone in great spirits.    Pyramid was special also.  Just a brilliant live act that I could happily see many more times without getting bored.

Kanye West - I love Kanye but it was a disappointing set.   It started off brilliantly and the first 5-6 tracks were spectacular but it just got derailed somewhere and became a patchy mess after that.

Lady Leshurr - Saw her in the Sonic tent in 2016.   They had a lot of sound troubles that year but she was brilliant, so much energy.

Stormzy - Huge crowd for him in the Sonic tent in 2016.   Fantastic to see him go from that to headlining the Pyramid just 3 years later.

Kano - Headlining Sonic in 2016, absolute chaos in the best way. We ran over at the end of Sigur Ros in John Peel just as he was coming out and it was relentless from the outset.

Mykki Blanco - Pussy Parlure, this was a madness.   One of those "is this really happening?" moments.  One of my highlights of the weekend and it was a last minute decision to go in and see him.

First year i got in without a ticket just before Jay-Z headlined in 2008, so that was the first act i ever saw at Glastonbury. I absolutely loved it, thought he was class, been in love with Glastonbury ever since.

Saw Brother Ali in 2010 at West Holts, didn't really know much of his stuff (still don't!), just went along with the missus out of curiosity. Was early in the day, the crowd was tiny so you could get right to the front. I remember we both enjoyed it, his DJ did some beatboxing which was cool. 

Snoop Dogg, think that was 2010 as well. It was Snoop! on the Pyramid! what more can you ask for?! 

Wu-Tang, can't remember the year, was on the Pyramid, early evening. Was really disappointed, they got a big crowd, but it felt 99% of the crowd were there just to tick Wu-Tang off their list. They played tracks from Liquid Sword, Only built for the Cuban Linx etc. Hardly anyone knew much of their stuff, and it felt like Wu Tang were annoyed with how little the crowd were reacting.  I'm thinking/hoping if they headline West Holts this year then the crowd will be loads better, as fair weather fans will be somewhere else.

Dizzy - Saw dizzy on the pyramid one year, he was pretty decent, you know what your getting with him. Few poppy number and some grime classics.

Skepta - Saw him on the Pyramid 2016, was early in the day, so was hanging still, but smashed a few cans down and really enjoyed him, felt a bit of a moment having a grime star on the Pyramid.

Stormzy - the terms 'saw' and 'heard' are used very loosely here as i arrived half way through his set at the sonic stage, that place is AWFUL for sound. Was outside the main tent so made the sound terrible, hard to give him a fair review really.

Kano - seen him twice, one was (i think) after Stormzy in the sonic, managed to get in the place for Kano, sound was better but still terrible. He bought Giggs out for '3 Wheel Ups' tho, which was sick.

Kano second time was headlining the park in 2017, absolutely loved it. He played loads form his last album 'Made in the Manor' which i consider a UK classic, had a brass section and everything, he absolutely smashed it.

Went straight to see Boy Better Know after Kano finished, was battered by that point, remember the crowd being pretty small but thought BBK did well, enjoyed it.

Vince Staples - saw Vince in 2016, he was a funny guy and enjoyed his performance, but unlike most on here, i can't say i'm his biggest fan.

Nearly forgot Q Tip, watched him headline West Holts on my own one year, got absolutely battered so memory is blurry but remember i loved it. He played a few Tribe tracks which was class.

Pretty sure i'm forgetting loads more.

Looks like we could have a good year for Hip Hop  in 2019, Slowthai looks amazing live, Octavian i'm hoping will be there. Dave maybe? Wu Tang? Gambino?

Edited by bigfurbdogg

4 hours ago, jackmerton said:

I'm all for hip hop at Glastonbury. Sadly I saw Kendrick Lamar at Reading 2018 and it was appalling,  he had just lifted his stage show into a festival setting, too many skits and videos in between songs. It's interesting that we had different festival experiences, I'd be willing to give him another go.

Hip hop acts I'd love to see this year:

- Travis Scott (sadly confirmed Wireless exclusive)

- Chance the Rapper (new album soon, EU dates near Glastonbury)

- Brockhampton (confirmed as Lovebox exclusive)

- Kid Cudi (no KSG tour yet but working on new album, so who knows)

- Anderson Paak

- NERD (loved them at R&L)

I also loved the Kanye show, it was just full of problems. One of the issues being it was a self indulgent, hardcore fan set, which is why many people got bored. I thought the extended version of Lost in the World and seeing Mike Dean and Justin Vernon on stage was amazing. The set could've been similar to a GOOD music showcase to win the crowd over (like the Koko performance a few years ago).

One of my best memories (twice) was Dizzee Rascal on the Pyramid years ago and last year on West Holts. The former was commercial while last years set went all the way back.

Wu-Tang on Pyramid (2011?) I have fond memories of, but I don't think the sound was great looking back. That should be put right on West Holts, who have a killer sound system. I remember FlyLo destroying it a few years back. That was an incredible gig. Deltron 3030 on West Holts was mind blowing. Both of those gigs I was in awe throughout. Chance on John Peel a good few years back was amazing too. Seeing him that summer a couple of times before he properly blew up was great because mixtape Chance is the best Chance imo.

As for grime, seeing Novelist on Sonic with about 20 other people in like 2014, The Bug on Arcadia with Flowdan and somebody else I think 2015, Wiley in 2017.

Anyway, there's always something going on during the day and at night. Glasto isn't the best for hip hop, but it is improving slowly. I think Chance is the only act in recent years where they've got an American artist in at the perfect time. It can be a bit random as to who they get. Somebody like Pharoahe Monch would be great this year. Love that guy.

UK hip hop is usually well represented (probs because its cheaper and artists are more likely to get it), so I'd expect Dave and Little Simz there. I can see grime getting pushed out for trap this year since grime has lost momentum, but I'd love to see guys like Manga, Riko Dan, Mez, YGG there. Trends and Boylan should be about, but we're getting into dubstep territory now. Either way, the MCs will be around. I think grime MCs like Riko and Flowdan over dubstep is a better combo anyway.

?

Did any of  you see DJ Premier in 2016? What was the set and crowd like? He clashed with someone and I was gutted to have missed him. I caught guru once live in Brighton years ago, shame we’ll never have gangstarr play the festival, they’d have been a great west holts booking.

Ive noticed cut chemist and chali 2na are touring a lot this summer. Hopefully we get them on the farm. Jurassic 5 I missed over arcade fire in 2014. Man, the inevitable clashes are the worst.

3 hours ago, OffshoreToon said:

Wu-Tang on Pyramid (2011?) I have fond memories of, but I don't think the sound was great looking back. That should be put right on West Holts, who have a killer sound system. I remember FlyLo destroying it a few years back. That was an incredible gig. Deltron 3030 on West Holts was mind blowing. Both of those gigs I was in awe throughout. Chance on John Peel a good few years back was amazing too. Seeing him that summer a couple of times before he properly blew up was great because mixtape Chance is the best Chance imo.

As for grime, seeing Novelist on Sonic with about 20 other people in like 2014, The Bug on Arcadia with Flowdan and somebody else I think 2015, Wiley in 2017.

Anyway, there's always something going on during the day and at night. Glasto isn't the best for hip hop, but it is improving slowly. I think Chance is the only act in recent years where they've got an American artist in at the perfect time. It can be a bit random as to who they get. Somebody like Pharoahe Monch would be great this year. Love that guy.

UK hip hop is usually well represented (probs because its cheaper and artists are more likely to get it), so I'd expect Dave and Little Simz there. I can see grime getting pushed out for trap this year since grime has lost momentum, but I'd love to see guys like Manga, Riko Dan, Mez, YGG there. Trends and Boylan should be about, but we're getting into dubstep territory now. Either way, the MCs will be around. I think grime MCs like Riko and Flowdan over dubstep is a better combo anyway.

?

I didn't go in 2014, but never realised Deltron 3030 played Glastonbury, just recently discovered that album, would love to have seen that.

8 minutes ago, Samyeeeezy said:

Saw Mos Def (Yasiin Bey) and Taliban Kweli are doing a few shows In the states as Blackstar.

Would be amazing to see them.

I haven't heard those names in the mainstream since the College Dropout! Certainly a name to watch out for on the lineup.

4 hours ago, lobo said:

Did any of  you see DJ Premier in 2016? What was the set and crowd like? He clashed with someone and I was gutted to have missed him. I caught guru once live in Brighton years ago, shame we’ll never have gangstarr play the festival, they’d have been a great west holts booking.

Ive noticed cut chemist and chali 2na are touring a lot this summer. Hopefully we get them on the farm. Jurassic 5 I missed over arcade fire in 2014. Man, the inevitable clashes are the worst.

Fuck me I hope he's there this year. Have a feeling he might be. I believe him, Public Enemy, De La Soul and Wu-Tang are touring this year? 

2 hours ago, jackmerton said:

Fuck me I hope he's there this year. Have a feeling he might be. I believe him, Public Enemy, De La Soul and Wu-Tang are touring this year? 

Must have missed DJ premier on the gods of rap tour poster, ive seen public enemy, de la soul and wu tang already so didnt get tickets for that tour. Strong line up! 

I'd be really keen for prophets of rage and cypress hill at the farm. Theyre all over Europe in August, could be possible.

1 hour ago, whateverworksout said:

not as much hiphop/grime as I’d like from the first announcement, I was expecting Dave, Octavian, giggs, AJ Tracey 

and theres no current american hiphop act either which seems a bit odd, I was hoping for future/migos/cardi/pusha t.

Lauryn Hill and Wu Tang I’ll take tho! 

Ye, it's not fantastic is it, Wu Tang will be class and hope Lauryn Hill is decent as i've never seen her, but she is notoriously hit and miss live.

Someone has pointed out Slowthai has been added since the poster drop from 8am. Was really hoping for Octavian, hoping he's not deemed a big enough act for the first poster and may appear later, looks like he's doing every other festival this year! Dave, Giggs, AJ tracey etc, you'd assume they'd make the poster if they were booked, hopefully at least one shows up!

The big current acts like Migos always seem to be a bit too expensive for Glastonbury, but it's disappointing not to see some like Schoolboy Q, Chance, Pusha T (ass you mentioned).

Little Simz also a welcome addition.

Like I said, they rarely get it right with contemporary American hip hop. Best to not expect anything. Schoolboy Q will likely never play Glasto, for the same reason Migos won't. There's very little crossover appeal given the cost. I could still see Pusha T tbh but Chance is too expensive now. Also, the grime will mostly be on dance stages which won't be announced for another month or two.

That poster is only 45% or so of the main stages. Still plenty of spaces left, plus there'll be hip hop on some dance stages.

Lauryn Hill was 10/10 when I saw her a few years ago, but three hours late... Very excited for Wu-Tang. There's always The Streets for a hip hop fix too.

2 minutes ago, OffshoreToon said:

Like I said, they rarely get it right with contemporary American hip hop. Best to not expect anything. Schoolboy Q will likely never play Glasto, for the same reason Migos won't. There's very little crossover appeal given the cost. I could still see Pusha T tbh but Chance is too expensive now. Also, the grime will mostly be on dance stages which won't be announced for another month or two.

That poster is only 45% or so of the main stages. Still plenty of spaces left, plus there'll be hip hop on some dance stages.

Lauryn Hill was 10/10 when I saw her a few years ago, but three hours late... Very excited for Wu-Tang. There's always The Streets for a hip hop fix too.

Ye, there will be tonnes more Hip Hop added to the line up as you say.

Maybe Chance, Schoolboy Q etc may be a bit out of their budget now. In the past tho theyt've had Vince Staples, Chance (when he was a lot cheaper!), Danny Brown, Tyler the Creator etc, someone in that ilk seems to be missing, could well be added later mind you. 

I forgot Loyle carner as well in my original post, another decent name.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/23/2019 at 8:55 PM, OffshoreToon said:

I've been thinking that Denzel Curry might get a look in somewhere. It'd fit with his tour schedule too. 

Bingo.

I’ve got high hopes for Denzel, especially if he’s on in Hell. He’s on the poster twice so I assume there’ll be a couple of appearances.

4 minutes ago, Bza said:

Made a list of hiphop/grime from the A-Z line up so far. 

Any that I've missed or not aware of?

Bugzy Malone

Charlie Sloth

Denzel Curry

DJ Vadim

Kate Tempest

Lauryn Hill

Little Simz

Lizzo

Loyle Carner

Slowthai

Stefflon Don

Stormzy

The Last Skeptic

The Nextmen vs Gentlemans Dub Club (sounds like this will be more reggae/dub than what The Nextmen used to do)

Too Many T's

UK Beatbox Champs Special

Wu Tang

Young T & Bugsey

The Streets and Lowkey off the top of my head.

EDIT: Good list though, cheers.

EDIT EDIT: I think I saw Lady Leshurr on one of the smaller stages but I could be making that up...

Edited by priest17