Duran Duran?

CaledonianGonzo

2 hours ago, parsonjack said:

I did all the Romantic thing for a while, purple hair, makeup, heels etc. 

Get you girl! lol

I'd have loved purple hair, make up, and heels. The closest nod that I ever gave in that direction was buying a pair of Bowie bags. That was kind of the bending edge that I could take it without there being a family meltdown. I suppose some could think that I could still dress up ambiguously, but that kind of behaviour, to me, is best performed by the youth. Not only that, but I have no desire to. New Romanticism was then, and that's that. It's a backwards facing time machine that I need. :)

3 hours ago, parsonjack said:

My girlfriend danced with Roger Taylor and Andy Taylor bought me a vodka and orange... Rum Rummer, Birmingham 1981.  Nice lads ?

My Mum knew Roger Taylor from back before the Rum Runner days. He was from the same part of Castle Bromwich (a suburb of Brum) as my family.

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Played already.

That's stretching the definition of "played" quite far.  Depends whether standing on stage, smugly ignoring people* in the crowd dressed as a green door then farting out the agonisingly dull new "songs" qualifies as "playing".  

* Only one person actually dressed as a green door.

14 hours ago, henry bear said:

Duran Duran, Janet Jackson, The Cure, Kylie. It’s like a big budget Rewind Festival. Disappointed if we don’t get Shakin Stevens

I don't see how The Cure get lumped into that lot. Those buying Duran Duran, Janet Jackson, Kylie records in their prime were not buying and going to Cure shows

22 hours ago, Mardy said:

Fucking hell. Duran Duran. Really? Shower of c**ts. 

I don't understand the love on here for them from some who have otherwise shown to have quite discerning music taste. They were 'the opposition' to what I, in my early teenaged years, thought was the 'cool' guitar-driven bands of the day. 

If you were a fan of Duran Duran back in 1985 you have no right to mock The 1975 and their fans in 2019. 

It's sort of like my view of Madonna. I was just never into her back in the day, and I still don't like that simple pop stuff from her earlier output and I only start appreciating some of the Ray of Light, Music, Confessions era. I don't think Duran Duran ever had this sort of artistic maturation period did they? 

22 minutes ago, Homer said:

I like a lot of cheesy 80s music but never really got anywhere with Duran Duran.

Regardless, their headline set at Bestival was good fun.

Simon Le Bon strutting around the stage in his denim jacket like a man half his age was very entertaining.  That set was firmly in the "So bad it's good" category for me. 

If you're a fan of Duran Duran or cheese, then you'd have a great time.

58 minutes ago, tevaburger said:

I don't see how The Cure get lumped into that lot. Those buying Duran Duran, Janet Jackson, Kylie records in their prime were not buying and going to Cure shows

Thats not true, The Cure were almost permanent fixtures in Smash Hits mag and on TOTP in the late 80s.

1 hour ago, tevaburger said:

I don't understand the love on here for them from some who have otherwise shown to have quite discerning music taste. They were 'the opposition' to what I, in my early teenaged years, thought was the 'cool' guitar-driven bands of the day. 

If you were a fan of Duran Duran back in 1985 you have no right to mock The 1975 and their fans in 2019. 

It's sort of like my view of Madonna. I was just never into her back in the day, and I still don't like that simple pop stuff from her earlier output and I only start appreciating some of the Ray of Light, Music, Confessions era. I don't think Duran Duran ever had this sort of artistic maturation period did they? 

You get the difference though between being a fan of someone - buying the records, wearing the t-shirt so to speak, and recognising that they'd provide a fun hour or so of entertainment at Glastonbury.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

That's stretching the definition of "played" quite far.  Depends whether standing on stage, smugly ignoring people* in the crowd dressed as a green door then farting out the agonisingly dull new "songs" qualifies as "playing".  

16 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It was noted, but I've mellowed. What can I say?

Except where he's concerned, clearly :D

18 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

You get the difference though between being a fan of someone - buying the records, wearing the t-shirt so to speak, and recognising that they'd provide a fun hour or so of entertainment at Glastonbury.

yes, of course. it's sort of what the Sunday Legend Set has become now isn't it... No more Ray Davies, Bob Dylan (think of years past when we'd pre-lineup we'd be hoping it was Patti Smith or James Taylor - can you imagine them doing that in current era?) now it's 'entertainment' and 'it will be a laugh' 

CalGo - you'll be starting The 1975 thread in 30 years' time too for 'fun' 

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

* Only one person actually dressed as a green door.

Hear hear.

Comfortably the worst thing ive ever "attended" in my life.

Man, I’ve made some bad decisions in life, fucked it all up more than once, but whenever it all gets me down, and i’m staring out the window at some shitty rainy grey Moscow skyline, rueing the paths I’ve taken and wistfully thinking about what might have been, I take enormous solace in the fact that at least i didn’t go and see Shakin’ Stevens.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

3 hours ago, tevaburger said:

I was born in 1984, so I "discovered" Duran Duran in my teenage years and find their tunes really addictive, particularly the Nile Rodgers stuff which has that distinctive guitar style and sound.

I find the concept of slagging off "simple pop" quite funny (not saying that you are here).

I'm a songwriter, and spend my time trying to write catchy music that loads of people will like. I'd much rather write stuff that's weird and avant-garde that only musos will appreciate, it would be a lot easier!

Catchy pop ftw.

Edited by Skoo

3 hours ago, tevaburger said:

Absolutely staggered that anyone can call Like a Prayer, Live to Tell, Oh Father and the like ‘simple pop’.  
And having ‘discerning music taste’ precludes you from liking out and out pop records?? Radge!
Awful take.

1 hour ago, tevaburger said:

yes, of course. it's sort of what the Sunday Legend Set has become now isn't it... No more Ray Davies, Bob Dylan (think of years past when we'd pre-lineup we'd be hoping it was Patti Smith or James Taylor - can you imagine them doing that in current era?) now it's 'entertainment' and 'it will be a laugh' 

CalGo - you'll be starting The 1975 thread in 30 years' time too for 'fun' 

I've certainly got no beef with being entertained and having fun.  I've seen Ray and Bob and Dolly and Lionel and probably enjoyed myself more at the latter two.  

Patti Smith was on only a few years ago, on a Sunday. Just because she wasn't the announced 'legend', didn't make her performance any less awesome. 

Re Le Bon and co, I'm far from a fan but know enough of their stuff to enjoy an hour of hits. 

2 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Exactly, I doubt anyone here will be stroking their chins in serious appreciation of Le Bon and the Lads, but an hour of pogoing around like an idiot to the likes of View To A Kill sounds like great fun.