Duran Duran?

CaledonianGonzo

3 hours ago, thrillhouse188 said:

When were they at CP? Live 30 seconds away from the common but never gone to the festival for some reason!

Hello to another Southamptoner...! That is close by! They played in 2016. It's not happening this year unfortunately due to Rob Da Banks administration issues. I do recommend it if they get it going again in 2020. It's a fun couple of days :)

3 minutes ago, sime said:

Hello to another Southamptoner...! That is close by! They played in 2016. It's not happening this year unfortunately due to Rob Da Banks administration issues. I do recommend it if they get it going again in 2020. It's a fun couple of days :)

aha that explains it, 2016 I was finishing my degree so had exams while it was on, in fact I'm certain I was complaining of all the noise in the area at the time haha! 

16 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Tell you what, it's almost unheard of to have a mooted act get an utterly unanimous positive reception on here.

Duran Duran has united eFests. Who'd have thought it? 

Just now, Mardy said:

Fucking hell. Duran Duran. Really? Shower of c**ts. 

So much for that.

16 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Tell you what, it's almost unheard of to have a mooted act get an utterly unanimous positive reception on here.

Duran Duran has united eFests. Who'd have thought it? 

Just now, Mardy said:

Fucking hell. Duran Duran. Really? Shower of c**ts. 

Mardy redressing the balance like a boss :lol:

3 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Setlist posted above has more big tunes than the 3 Pyramid headliners put together.

It's clearly all a matter of your perspective ?

As a kid at the time during the thatcher years I despaired at their disposable pop whilst so many other artists were tackling the issues of the day. Later on I realised firstly that there's more to it than that and secondly that it's not bad to have some fun - but I do still think most of those songs are utter dogshite ?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

My girlfriend danced with Roger Taylor and Andy Taylor bought me a vodka and orange... Rum Rummer, Birmingham 1981.  Nice lads ?

A Famous club in Birmingham, that one. I was just a smidgen too young to get in. One of my brothers was in it one night, along with all the New Romantics, when it got raided by the police.  Apparently the police tried to separate the men and women for some reason, but had considerable difficulty in doing so, as everybody was wearing make up, dressed outrageously etc.

As an aside, I so so wanted to do the New Romantic thing. I did the music alright, but couldn't do the fashion element / make up element. The reason for this is that had I done so my mad paddy of a dad would have, quite literally, kicked my bollocks in. 

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

A Famous club in Birmingham, that one. I was just a smidgen too young to get in. One of my brothers was in it one night, along with all the New Romantics, when it got raided by the police.  Apparently the police tried to separate the men and women for some reason, but had considerable difficulty in doing so, as everybody was wearing make up, dressed outrageously etc.

As an aside, I so so wanted to do the New Romantic thing. I did the music alright, but couldn't do the fashion element / make up element. The reason for this is that had I done so my mad paddy of a dad would have, quite literally, kicked my bollocks in. 

Brilliant.  Spent many nights down there.  We used to knock around with Martin Degville and his girlfriend, then running a boutique called YaYa (some years before Martin turned up in full regalia fronting Sigue Sigue Sputnik), and Jane Kahn and Patti Bell of Kahn & Bell were all part of the same crowd.  The Durannies were often around in their early days and I have hazy memories of seeing them play there well before they got mainstream recognition with Planet Earth.

I did all the Romantic thing for a while, purple hair, makeup, heels etc.  We had an accident in my Dad's old Renault 12 on the way up one night, and I remember remonstrating with some geezer in the middle of late Friday night traffic on the Hagley Road in full get up, 4 inch heels etc.  Heady days.

Sadly pulled down some time ago now....my sisters biggest boast is that they pulled it down before she was legally allowed to get in....although she' d been dozens of times by the time she was 15.  God knows what our parents thought....

17 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Brilliant.  Spent many nights down there.  We used to knock around with Martin Degville and his girlfriend, then running a boutique called YaYa (some years before Martin turned up in full regalia fronting Sigue Sigue Sputnik), and Jane Kahn and Patti Bell of Kahn & Bell were all part of the same crowd.  The Durannies were often around in their early days and I have hazy memories of seeing them play there well before they got mainstream recognition with Planet Earth.

I did all the Romantic thing for a while, purple hair, makeup, heels etc.  We had an accident in my Dad's old Renault 12 on the way up one night, and I remember remonstrating with some geezer in the middle of late Friday night traffic on the Hagley Road in full get up, 4 inch heels etc.  Heady days.

Sadly pulled down some time ago now....my sisters biggest boast is that they pulled it down before she was legally allowed to get in....although she' d been dozens of times by the time she was 15.  God knows what our parents thought....

Ah, the old Rum Runner, I used to go to watch Dexy's practice there in the afternoon when I was an embryo :ph34r: