If I won the lottery

morph100

2 minutes ago, Woffy said:

Dee, if I win the lottery and I don’t get first dibs if you sell your house then you need to adopt me. And my wife. And the kids. Or let us live in a camper van on your drive, like some sort of Alan Bennet / Miss Shepherd type situation. 

You lost your case at the mention of kids.....

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, deebeedoobee said:

Man cave and sauna. He can take his pick

A lovely thought but I wouldn’t like to upset the delicate social balance that usually exists in small village communities like yours.  So we will content ourselves with occasional visits, walking the country lanes ,enjoying the peeling of those church bells, relaxing in the grounds of the tithe barn and a meal in the crown!  

7 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Euromillions is something daft like £70m tomorrow.

If I were to win I’d donate a million of that to the festival to help keep them afloat for the year ahead.

Good idea, I’d be tempted to go at least 10 million, no strings attached apart from a guarantee of tickets! That way they could bring forward any site improvements they might have in the pipeline and help towards Michaels wish of booking Fleetwood Mac!  

Seriously the euromillions is crazy money. We had locals who won 160million, within a few years they had moved house three times and left the local,area,  then were divorced after she had a fling with her personal trainer,  the man died last year.  They had given out cash to various local causes and bought houses and cars for friends but moving away caused them problems. 

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Good idea, I’d be tempted to go at least 10 million, no strings attached apart from a guarantee of tickets! That way they could bring forward any site improvements they might have in the pipeline and help towards Michaels wish of booking Fleetwood Mac!  

Seriously the euromillions is crazy money. We had locals who won 160million, within a few years they had moved house three times and left the local,area,  then were divorced after she had a fling with her personal trainer,  the man died last year.  They had given out cash to various local causes and bought houses and cars for friends but moving away caused them problems. 

I always think going public is the big mistake. You could quietly help so many people and there would be so much less pressure without the publicity. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

You could quietly help so many people and there would be so much less pressure without the publicity. 

You wouldn't get the daily sacks of begging letters either. And they'd be no kiss and tell stories (assuming that one had that kind of life beforehand in the first place). And you wouldn't immediately become the subject of scheming villains. Etc etc

I had a dream last night that my friend won on Euromillions. Not the whole jackpot, but a chunk of it as she was just missing one of the numbers.

I awoke and learned I had won a fiver on the 'set for life'. I think all of this means I'm going to win the big jackpot tonight. The stars are aligned.

2 hours ago, gigpusher said:

I always think going public is the big mistake. You could quietly help so many people and there would be so much less pressure without the publicity. 

Winning really big is hard to hide. Ok you won’t get as many begging letters but locally everyone would find out unless you did a moonlight flit to your new gaff in Pilton. Didn’t help here when our winners bought six new build houses plus furnishings and six new flash cars for friends!  

Certainly staying quiet and carefully choosing charities and causes to help would be my preferred option, apart from the huge multi million donation to the festival in exchange for tickets for all e festers on here! 

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

Remember us and the festival in your wills 😉

Oh, that's right, think of yourself. I mean, don't try and talk us out of it or anything. lol

Anyway, I can now confirm that I have now bought two tickets for tonight's lottery. In the mind bendingly improbable chance that I were to win the jackpot, I can now inform all of what I would do with the money. I can honestly say that I would endeavour to give all but a small fraction of it away to charities and the needy. As I have absolutely no desire to own a Rolls Royce, Ferrari, floating gin palace, country mansion / estate etc then I would have no need to retain very much of that wealth. Oh, and I have no children either. So I would spend the guts of the loot on good causes, and I'd be very happy in doing so. That said, the money would go to grass roots charities etc that are working at the coal face, so to speak. I wouldn't give any money to large 'corporate' type charities whose CEO's and higher management earn fortunes and go on jollies across the world where they have, on occasion, been known to actually abuse the people that they are supposed to be helping. 

If you ever are in need of a fantastic read about a good, honest charity with complete integrity, then you could do no better than to read the autobiography of Christina Noble called Bridge Across My Sorrows. It is the only book to ever make me cry. And oh boy did I cry. Long and hard. Don't be put off by that though, as it's a true story of phenomenal courage and determination.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, WestCountryGirl said:

I had a dream last night that my friend won on Euromillions. Not the whole jackpot, but a chunk of it as she was just missing one of the numbers.

I awoke and learned I had won a fiver on the 'set for life'. I think all of this means I'm going to win the big jackpot tonight. The stars are aligned.

How did it go?