Shelter Glastonbury

marathonsteve

8 minutes ago, Halfspin said:

Received the Glastonbury 2019 Volunteer FINAL Briefing today with the two attachments.

Does anyone know how far it is from Pedestrian Gate C to the Avalon village? Looks quite close on the map, page 4.

Got mine too. 

At a guess I don’t think it will be more than a 5-10 min walk. 

9 hours ago, Halfspin said:

Received the Glastonbury 2019 Volunteer FINAL Briefing today with the two attachments.

Does anyone know how far it is from Pedestrian Gate C to the Avalon village? Looks quite close on the map, page 4.

Shelter campsite is brilliantly placed for that side of the site.

Despite being outside the fence I am not sure you can camp much closer to Avalon!

A WhatsApp group has been set up for shelter volunteers, someone posted the invite link on the Facebook group. I can’t copy paste it over from my phone atm but when I get home this eve will do it from my laptop (if no one else has been able to by that point :) )

15 hours ago, chelseadisco said:

A WhatsApp group has been set up for shelter volunteers, someone posted the invite link on the Facebook group. I can’t copy paste it over from my phone atm but when I get home this eve will do it from my laptop (if no one else has been able to by that point :) )

I have joined it! 

On 3/12/2019 at 7:16 PM, amfy said:

Don’t bank on getting any shifts out of the way before Friday.

Most people will, but some bars, The Glade for example, don’t even open til Friday.

That said - I still had a great time with working Friday Saturday & Sunday which is as bad as it can get. I still had Tues/Weds/Thurs to wander, & made the most of the time off I did have over the weekend.

The great thing about bar work is that you still feel part of the festival - I even nipped out and danced in The Glade for my half hour break. 

Just have your head set right that the shifts you get are what you get & you are going to enjoy it whatever - & then of course you will!

You seem to know your stuff, I have 2 crew passes for glade and wondering if we need campervan passes, we have 1 orange car park sticker and 1 red route sticker and pass. Is that enough for 2 vehicles? 

• 2 weeks later...

How did everybody find their shifts??

I was on one of the smaller Brew Bars..

Bar Managers were very busy smoking fags and staring at their phones out back, and when not doing this were more concerned with the internal politics of Avalon. Money / till manager was rude, curt and lazy.  

Every Shift we had no-shows meaning we had no breaks, worked well past out scheduled hours and I ended up organising the damn bar re-stocking myself because of idleness of staff getting a damn good day rate.

All this manifested itself as working like crazy for 10hr shifts, and feeling so god damn tired I could hardly bring myself to enjoy my time off.

Left a real sour taste in my mouth tbh...

I can't say the bar I worked had the same experience. The bar managers were helpful and dealt with any problems we had, they monitored and restocked the spirits when necessary. They were flexible with the break & let us take a beer/cider away at the end of the late shift.
The volunteering was what I expected, bar staff & crew enjoyed themselves as much as the crowd. I wonder what experience other bar volunteers had?

• 3 months later...
On 7/2/2019 at 7:47 PM, fuztownsend01 said:

How did everybody find their shifts??

I was on one of the smaller Brew Bars..

Bar Managers were very busy smoking fags and staring at their phones out back, and when not doing this were more concerned with the internal politics of Avalon. Money / till manager was rude, curt and lazy.  

Every Shift we had no-shows meaning we had no breaks, worked well past out scheduled hours and I ended up organising the damn bar re-stocking myself because of idleness of staff getting a damn good day rate.

All this manifested itself as working like crazy for 10hr shifts, and feeling so god damn tired I could hardly bring myself to enjoy my time off.

Left a real sour taste in my mouth tbh...

with over 30+ years being a WBC volunteer working in most of the bars at Glastonbury { but not all in the same year } and over that time have had situations where I was asked to volunteer to do a second shift I can appreciate why your feeling pissed off but ' its not like that every year '

On 7/8/2019 at 1:10 PM, Halfspin said:

I can't say the bar I worked had the same experience. The bar managers were helpful and dealt with any problems we had, they monitored and restocked the spirits when necessary. They were flexible with the break & let us take a beer/cider away at the end of the late shift.
The volunteering was what I expected, bar staff & crew enjoyed themselves as much as the crowd. I wonder what experience other bar volunteers had?

As you can see its all the luck of the draw but knowing the people who control Avalon staffing is always a issue as there will always be some who will see the Shelter offer as a easy way to get in { even when they lose their deposit }

Shelter should factor in a ' reserve list ' although its difficult to get 100% right.

You could go 10+ years and have the same experience.

I worked on the Stonebridge bar via Shelter this year.

I went on a coach from Bristol, and I personally really enjoyed it.  Free transport down, on site a day early, meal tokens and bar to buy cheaper beer from, showers, toilets etc all available.

The shifts I got were ok (although I did work through fri & sun night) but some got most of them out of the way before the weekend started. just luck of the draw really.  Most people I was working with were sound, and the crew running our bar all from Edinburgh were all really nice and hardworking themselves.  

Only had a couple of shitty customers but suppose it is what it is.  

Busiest day I did was Wednesday day/evening....I didn't work our bar Saturday night which was when Mark Ronson and Miley Cyrus were in there but according to those that did it was mayhem.  Sunday night was very quiet as the bar had started to run out of things and people had started to run out of money. 

Shifts that I worked were Weds 2.30pm-10.30pm, Friday 9pm-5am, Sunday 7pm-3am. 

Friday night into Saturday was a struggle as by the time I was back at the camp it was 5.45am then we were camped behind the iiCon stage so had to wait for that to finish to fall asleep (About 2 seconds later) - then was woken up by the stinking heat at 8am...not great but I battled through...found some shade in the greenfields for a couple of hours reboot!

One guy I made friends with on camp was on another bar (I won't mention which) said his managers were quite lazy plus a few other things going on that annoyed him but is what it is.

I have a ticket for this year (yay!) but I would work with Shelter if needed to again.

Edited by gooner1990
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/24/2019 at 2:24 PM, Watergirl said:

Many thanks for digging up this thread. I am hoping to go the volunteer route this time around....

Register your interest to volunteer with Shelter/Avalon at Glastonbury 2020.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/support_us/events/volunteer_at_glastonbury

with Avalon its likely to be 24 hours in total

2 days x 8 hours plus 2 days x 4 hours
3 days x 8 hours or
4 days x 6 hours or

most people will work in the same bar although some may be shuffled about a bit.

why do they do that ?

Each Bar will be allocated so many staff but some years they may detect that Bar A has more demand than Bar B hence it makes sense to adjust things onsite although this will only affect a limited amount of people.

At the end of the day shifts are a lottery and not everyone will be happy but its the price you have to pay to be a Volunteer.

In the WBC I am allowed to allocate my own Team shifts - we work in the Crew bar so that is open Tuesday to Monday morning - anyway I had sorted out who would be working Tuesday night { which tends to be a busy night } but one on my Team wanted to know when she would be working at the weekend but as I was busy working at the bar I asked her to sort out the shifts { for everyone } and I would approve them on Wednesday morning - She must have stayed up all night as by Wednesday morning she had a sheet sorted out so I got us all together ' and everyone was happy with their shifts ' so ' those shifts were fixed.

Now the funny thing is I ended up with the best shifts I have ever had in 30+ years so I will be asking her to do it next year as well. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, The Red Telephone said:

Have you ever attended the festival as a “punter” @glasto-worker? If so, how did you find it?

Yes I have in 1979 - 1981 - 1982 - 1983 - 1984 - 1985 - 1986 and 1987 but events were a lot different then { can locate the tickets but not the wristbands for 79/81/82 } and the site was a lot smaller -

Tickets were so easy to buy and it was even possible to buy tickets at the entry gate although I always bought them in the past - £21 was the last ticket I ever bought in 1987 -

Once I was able to get into the WBC { not easy as the World Wide Web was not invented until 1992 } they did not issue tickets although I have a huge collection of Crew wrist bands but a few years ago they started  issuing crew Tickets and they claim to have extra security checks for Crews although I missed them as I was driven in by a 4WD truck with a onsite pass  so I have never walked though Gate A {or any other gate} in any year.

Best time is the Monday and Tuesday before the gates open.

953044_n.jpg.ab15f18e9e1eb44e4c34e09d97665fac.jpg19264_o.thumb.jpg.db52b349413d7bb07dab55fda275a8cf.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...