Shelter Glastonbury

marathonsteve

3 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

Two shots of Aiden at Reading festival say 14 years ago { or close } - that is a Crew Bar {the WBC bought the Club house and the football ground as it was close to the festival site } # Never let him sing ' you will regret it ' #

The other is the Guest bar at Glastonbury 15 or so years ago.

The last time I was in Aiden's bar they were running a till system - the WBC don't bother with that system as it slows things down but I can appreciate why Avalon does it.

961_7470_n.thumb.jpg.ad49fbce9d61dabba7184338060ad66f.jpg961_7471_n.thumb.jpg.40472163b523b6df540f2c05e277c11e.jpgbackstage-bar.thumb.jpg.f924b35c21c8baff54adf61c3b8bf968.jpg

Yes thats him

13 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

Two shots of Aiden at Reading festival say 14 years ago { or close } - that is a Crew Bar {the WBC bought the Club house and the football ground as it was close to the festival site } # Never let him sing ' you will regret it ' #

The other is the Guest bar at Glastonbury 15 or so years ago.

The last time I was in Aiden's bar they were running a till system - the WBC don't bother with that system as it slows things down but I can appreciate why Avalon does it.

961_7470_n.thumb.jpg.ad49fbce9d61dabba7184338060ad66f.jpg961_7471_n.thumb.jpg.40472163b523b6df540f2c05e277c11e.jpgbackstage-bar.thumb.jpg.f924b35c21c8baff54adf61c3b8bf968.jpg

Acoustic Bar Crew last shift 2016 Aiden doesn't seem to age much

file.jpeg

13 hours ago, Rob0510 said:

What was the general information on shift times and patterns?

No specifics but they said bars open at 11am and shut at 3am except one which is open until 5am. Shifts are 8 hours, you get assigned to a shift group but won't find this out until we board the coaches.

From this I would presume shifts are 11-7, 7-3 and 9-5, as well as the inbetweeny ones to cover peak periods. But that's just my assumption based on how we do it at other festivals, I'm new to Avalon so don't take my word for it!

Hope this helps :) 

46 minutes ago, chelseadisco said:

No specifics but they said bars open at 11am and shut at 3am except one which is open until 5am. Shifts are 8 hours, you get assigned to a shift group but won't find this out until we board the coaches.

From this I would presume shifts are 11-7, 7-3 and 9-5, as well as the inbetweeny ones to cover peak periods. But that's just my assumption based on how we do it at other festivals, I'm new to Avalon so don't take my word for it!

Hope this helps :) 

I suspect it will not be like that as there will be a Overlap 

The WBC uses this { most do 6 hours but they may do extra days }

shift 1 - could be 11am to 5pm
shift 2 - could be  1pm to 7pm
shift 3 - could be  3pm to 9pm
shift 4 - could be  5pm to 11pm
shift 5 - could be  7pm to 1am
shift 6 - could be  9pm to 3am

but in other Bars there can be a different rota system as its all adjusted by demand.

Yes, sorry I didn't really make it clear that I meant those as first/last shift times plus the rest in between, as you said. 

Its interesting that yours are mostly 6 hours, in the training I attended she said it was 8. Good to have a mix :) 

18 hours ago, chelseadisco said:

Yes, sorry I didn't really make it clear that I meant those as first/last shift times plus the rest in between, as you said. 

Its interesting that yours are mostly 6 hours, in the training I attended she said it was 8. Good to have a mix :) 

The WBC is separate to Avalon although all the people who run Avalon used to work for WBC { its a long story }

with Avalon its likely to be 24 hours in total

3 days x 8 hours or
4 days x 6 hours or
2 days x 8 hours plus 2 days x 4 hours

the WBC will have more bars open on the Wednesday and its likely Crews will work between 24 and 28 hours although some Teams may work 32 hours or they could be asked to do extra hours if people end up going sick.

No matter who your working for there will always be a Overlap ' at hand over ' as there is all sorts of red tape to go though and that will be decided by the Tent Manager for that bar.

They will let you know once everyone is onsite.

so its best not to guess the shifts and just wait until you know what they are.

at hand over you will be told when to leave ' so you wont all be walking out at the same time '

so if you are near the end of your shift and you see a joker standing with 3 or 4 mates and he has a wad of cash in his hand ' Pick someone else to serve '

I got caught out once in the Guest bar about 15 years go { where normally you don't get the 24 pints of Cider mob } and his order came to £270 - although he did leave a big tip. 

1 hour ago, awatson9898 said:

@glasto-worker as a volunteer what happens with tips, do the go into a charity pot or something?

Not GW but have worked for Shelter three times previously.

In 2011and 2014 we were allowed to keep tips. Usually managed enough to get a pie and a pint at the end of the shift type of thing.

From 2016 (maybe earlier) the policy is that tips go into the Shelter charity bucket. Which I don't have a problem with.

14 hours ago, awatson9898 said:

@glasto-worker as a volunteer what happens with tips, do the go into a charity pot or something?

with the WBC people work in Teams  so they will collect money for their Team and its all shared out on the last night # or if they are working for a charity will pass it over to them # so it varies from Team to Team.

in general many Customers will not hand over a tip as such but they don't mind paying for a drink - as staff cant drink on duty the money goes in the tip box 

what the WBC do not allow is some joker shaking a tip cup in Customers faces - over the years I have seen that happen with other Teams and I will pull them up.

If its a large tip you should get the Deputy Tent Manager or Your Line Manager involved just so he/she can verify that it is a gift.

5 minutes ago, Rob0510 said:

Anyone doing the training this evening 7-9? Still haven’t received a confirmation for this so hope all is okay.

Went last night.. Like other people have said, its mostly about being able to identify and work through serving folk that look underage.

Few other bit and bobs. Most people there had already been to Glastonbury, and worked in bars, but what is expected of you is all explained well.

The main thing I took from it is that you are expected to be ambassadors for the charity, don't slack off or take the piss,  have fun, enjoy the experience and whatever you do DO NOT serve people who are underage

18 hours ago, MrZigster said:

I'm just about to leave for my 5pm training. Don't worry about the no emails thing (see my replies earlier in the thread).

so how was it ? 

was it a repeat of other years ?

at least that is out the way and you can focus on the event - getting very close now

2 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

so how was it ?

was it a repeat of other years ?

at least that is out the way and you can focus on the event - getting very close now

Yes.

Imagine a PowerPoint presentation. Imagine someone reading said PowerPoint presentation.

That was pretty much it.

Someone at the front was videoing the whole thing so maybe they'll stick it online next year?

One thing I did learn via another attendee is that Gate C apparently shuts at midnight on the Tuesday night. So if you're not back at camp by then you'll have to detour via Gate B. Well I never knew that. Sounded ridiculous to me. I guess I've always been back at camp before turning back into a pumpkin time previously (or I got detoured and have forgotten about it).

25 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Someone at the front was videoing the whole thing so maybe they'll stick it online next year?

I think they were streaming it live on Instagram. Not sure how useful that is as it was mandatory to attend in person and I didn't feel the need to watch it again!

1 minute ago, LadyP said:

I think they were streaming it live on Instagram. Not sure how useful that is as it was mandatory to attend in person and I didn't feel the need to watch it again!

I had no idea. Why wasn't something like that an option?

They could have charged me £40 to watch it and given it to Shelter. Sooner that than giving the equivalent to Southeastern Trains and TfL.

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

One thing I did learn via another attendee is that Gate C apparently shuts at midnight on the Tuesday night. So if you're not back at camp by then you'll have to detour via Gate B. Well I never knew that. Sounded ridiculous to me. I guess I've always been back at camp before turning back into a pumpkin time previously (or I got detoured and have forgotten about it).

It's been that way for a few years. Pedestrian gates are theoretically locked down ahead of the public arrivals, with one gate on each side of the site left open (technically gate B is also closed so you're being diverted via the vehicle gate round the corner).

I say theoretically because I've been through gate B after the supposed curfew time.

52 minutes ago, MrZigster said:

Yes.

Imagine a PowerPoint presentation. Imagine someone reading said PowerPoint presentation.

That was pretty much it.

the Curfew has been in place a few years but it varies between gate to gate - one year a crew minibus broke down and they had to wait for a replacement - the WBC contacted GFL and they got permission to enter via the staff gate at gate D ' After the Curfew - Gate D is 11pm ' but when they arrived ' they were not allowed in so had to walk to near Red Gate carrying all their stuff and then walk up the production road - it may not look all that far looking at the map but its is a fair old distance.

2019-RED-DOT55.thumb.jpg.d5cb5792920362bc8dcfad011418b9fa.jpg