Shelter Glastonbury

marathonsteve

15 minutes ago, Halfspin said:

It's quiet... too quiet. When do we hear about the training session dates and locations?

Yep that’s what I just asked on another thread, I’m booking a holiday for May within the next few days so need to know when it is so can make sure I’m back!

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, fuztownsend01 said:

Getting concerned now... anybody else heard from Shelter? any ideas about when we can expect some more info?

I’m ringing them back next Tuesday if no email as they said ‘two weeks’ to me last Tuesday!

Ive got a holiday to book and need to know when the training date is so I can be back for it.

27 minutes ago, gooner1990 said:

I’m calling them on Tuesday. 

I suspect the possible delay is due to Avalon Bars rather than Shelter 

I know that one of the Avalon Bars directors went on Holiday this weekend in Devon and Cornwall so not sure if this has affected anything.

seeing shelter stated ' Training sessions have previously been held in London and Sheffield and held in the second half of May. Dates for 2019 have yet to be confirmed but you should expect it to be around this time again. '

I know that people are after specific dates but as they are intending  asking all volunteers to attend training this does change things from 2017 when only ' new Volunteers were ask to train ' so depending on the numbers they may plan to add extra sessions.

3 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

I suspect the possible delay is due to Avalon Bars rather than Shelter 

I know that one of the Avalon Bars directors went on Holiday this weekend in Devon and Cornwall so not sure if this has affected anything.

seeing shelter stated ' Training sessions have previously been held in London and Sheffield and held in the second half of May. Dates for 2019 have yet to be confirmed but you should expect it to be around this time again. '

I know that people are after specific dates but as they are intending  asking all volunteers to attend training this does change things from 2017 when only ' new Volunteers were ask to train ' so depending on the numbers they may plan to add extra sessions.

I’ll see what they say on Tuesday, as it stands I’m holding off booking flights for my holiday but then may just have to risk it if they still don’t know and hope something  alternative can be sorted. ?

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2019 at 4:48 PM, Halfspin said:

Same acknowledgement here, nothing more that what is on the Glastonbury volunteer guidelines. Still, better than nothing!

Check your emails now, training dates, coach times have been shared... plus a form to be filled out with your preferred dates/times/shift partners

Thank God. I can make a training day.

Absolutely spitting feathers at train prices now though. Just ridiculous if I want to get an early London bus.

An extra £30.90 for not off peak!!!

Have no idea how to play this.

Part of me is thinking, "Well, you've got a free tricket, think of it as still saving money", and another part of me is thinking "Fuck me. £30+".

3 minutes ago, Halfspin said:

What about National Express coaches?

I have had this dilemma before. A coach means (at least one) change to another coach or an underground and would be a right pita with all the camping gear (it's already a pita on the train tbh). Would also mean getting up in the middle of the night.

You're right though. Much much cheaper.

Now looking into railcards as I have at least four other train journeys to book this year (including training day (again!)).

21 hours ago, LadyP said:

Yep just the google forms thingy so far. Do you think it’s safe to book my train tickets to London while they’re cheap based on the time slots I’ve requested for training and coach? Or are they likely to change the times?

Where are they cheap please?

This whole "cheaper if booked in advance" would appear to be a myth when it comes to Southeastern. Honestly I spent over two hours mucking about with different combinations of times and railcards for various journeys a couple of days ago and came to the conclusion that I'm not going to benefit from getting a railcard and if I want to get an early bus from Kings Cross it's an extra £32 for a not off peak train. Anything off peak will be skin of the teeth cutting it fine time wise.

And I'm really quite bitter that I have to go the training for a third time. That'll work out over thirty quid off peak return plus the underground (yeah, yeah I know I could get a coach, but that would add about an extra four hours to the travel time of what is already pretty much a full day).

Sorry for the rant.

To answer your question: I don't think Shelter/Avalon will change their timings. Rail companies on the other hand are a rule unto themselves.