Shelter Glastonbury

marathonsteve

I can't recommend volunteering through Shelter enough.  I've had an absolute ball both times I've volunteered through them and would be applying myself if I hadn't already got a ticket. 

Between getting free coach travel to the festival, getting there on the tuesday and being able to explore the place before it fully opens, the benefits of crew camping (showers, a place to charge your phone, free lunches) and a ticket to the greatest party in the world, it is well worth the price of three 8 hour shifts  

• Upvote 1

Just now, hurdy said:

Three shifts between Wednesday and Sunday I take it? What hours are they likely to be? 

yep. The shifts will be a mix of 11am-7pm, 3pm-11pm, 7pm-3am (if memory serves), usually one of each.  One of the shifts will be on the wednesday or thursday, the rest split between the main days.

TBH, the hardest shifts were the ones on the wednesday and thursday as they were so slow that they felt like they lasted forever.  If nothing else, the shifts on the main days fly by so quickly that you don't even notice you've been working.

• Like 1

Don’t bank on getting any shifts out of the way before Friday.

Most people will, but some bars, The Glade for example, don’t even open til Friday.

That said - I still had a great time with working Friday Saturday & Sunday which is as bad as it can get. I still had Tues/Weds/Thurs to wander, & made the most of the time off I did have over the weekend.

The great thing about bar work is that you still feel part of the festival - I even nipped out and danced in The Glade for my half hour break. 

Just have your head set right that the shifts you get are what you get & you are going to enjoy it whatever - & then of course you will!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

They do The Glade, & Stonebridge, The Acoustic Stage one that’s got a pub name, The one by the meeting point up by Williams Green ......just loads.

The Stonebridge shift pattern has a later finish than any of the other bars, but is a decent post because it’s usually pretty lively in there.

10 hours ago, hurdy said:

So which bars do Avalon control (if it's not too long a list)? 

note this is a ' old map ' as I cant find the one from 2017 but I was sent a copy but I cant find it { or others } and I am sure someone will post it soon -  hang on ' they may even post the 2019 map 

the main change ' only affects Avalon workers ' is the campsite is not in that location - its moved since then - don't worry they will fill you in.

Avalon-Bars-Location-Map-2011.thumb.jpg.cb64c62723403fadebb2950bea638ac9.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

note this is a ' old map ' as I cant find the one from 2017 but I was sent a copy but I cant find it { or others } and I am sure someone will post it soon -  hang on ' they may even post the 2019 map 

the main change ' only affects Avalon workers ' is the campsite is not in that location - its moved since then - don't worry they will fill you in.

Avalon-Bars-Location-Map-2011.thumb.jpg.cb64c62723403fadebb2950bea638ac9.jpg

Cheers, so it looks like you could be working in some pretty good places 

15 hours ago, amfy said:

Don’t bank on getting any shifts out of the way before Friday.

Most people will, but some bars, The Glade for example, don’t even open til Friday.

That said - I still had a great time with working Friday Saturday & Sunday which is as bad as it can get. I still had Tues/Weds/Thurs to wander, & made the most of the time off I did have over the weekend.

The great thing about bar work is that you still feel part of the festival - I even nipped out and danced in The Glade for my half hour break. 

Just have your head set right that the shifts you get are what you get & you are going to enjoy it whatever - & then of course you will!

Ah yes, completely forgot that not all bars open on weds/thurs.

At least if you're working at The Glade / West Holts / The Park / interstage area, you're close enough to stages that you'll still get to hear some music or catch an act on your break.

The year I worked on the interstage area bar, we had lots of acts on. One night there was Mexican Wrestling, even saw Kate Tempest play with her band (Sound of Rum - check them out, they were ace) one shift. So even though you're working, you'll always be entertained!

• 2 weeks later...
On 13 March 2019 at 9:11 AM, amfy said:

The camping spot for Shelter is as good as it gets - just outside gate C. I’ve not had a better spot for the parts of the festival I love for many years!

Have to disagree with you there. It's right next to the late night areas ffs. Ear plugs/headphones are a must. I much prefered the spot near gate B.

Plus the three times I've been there they've dictated where you must put your tent. "I'm getting on a bit and need to camp near the loos", didn't cut the mustard with them at all.

7 minutes ago, ChunkySandwedge said:

https://donate.shelter.org.uk/register-glastonbury/~my-donation   Appears to be still open if anyone's interested?   I'm with the recycling crew this year but this is a great opportunity for anyone still wanting to work it / not put fate into the ticket gods on resale day.

This was supposed to be for previous volunteers only this morning.

Plus, Shelter asked new volunteers to pre-register interest this year.

I'd be interested to know if anyone not pre-registered with them manages to get a place through the above link.

Edited by MrZigster

My brother just got a place as well including a confirmation email so hopefully not a scam.

As mentioned today was supposed to be for people who had previously volunteered and Thursday for people applying for the first time.

Looks like a bit of an error by Shelter on this one.    

The link is still open for anybody else to try however.

1 hour ago, ohmygod said:

My brother just got a place as well including a confirmation email so hopefully not a scam.

As mentioned today was supposed to be for people who had previously volunteered and Thursday for people applying for the first time.

Looks like a bit of an error by Shelter on this one.  

The link is still open for anybody else to try however.

First time I've heard the Thursday thing. Was that via email?

To be fair if you google "shelter volunteer glastonbury" today, it's quite a convoluted path to actually find that page (well, I didn't find it straightforward). They haven't made it obvious (but the fact that you can still get to it. That may well be an oversight).

I'm beginning to think the pre-register thing was just to ensure emails get to the people who have shown an interest, before links start getting posted online. Shelter are a charity. Not Seetickets. They possibly can't afford fancy algorithms needed for proper screening shenanigans.