Sign in to follow this  
surfbunnyuk

School holiday request, please help

I am currently trying to fill in my daughters holiday form for Glastonbury, she is in year ten but would have finished all of her exams by the time the festival starts. Other than saying how lucky we are to get a ticket and that it’s the best festival in the world lol, what I can I put to encourage them to say yes? The school is pretty good if they think that you will be learning different things so any help would be fabulous, thank you xx

not to be a dick but if its less than 5 days i'd suggest that she just takes a few days off ill.

I've done this with both my girls over the years and never had a challenge.

One year my daughter was interviewed by the one show and her teacher saw it!

My eldest is now going with her pals and my youngest (who is now in year 10) was told by me thAT she couldn't come this year as she may have exams so dont tell her about this 😀

• Upvote 1

Tell the school that it's the worlds largest festival for contemporary performing arts.That she'll experience a variety of music types from around the world, that she'll be exposed to theatre, circus, cinema, etc. Tell them that she'll learn all about environmental issues, and our need to address them, as well as witnessing some of the methods that the world is adopting to reduce our carbon footprints eg solar power. Tell them that she will get to experience differing food types from around the world, which will educate her palate, and her mind. 

• Upvote 5

Mention the Healing Fields too - she can learn about yoga, Tai Chi, meditation, massage, etc.

After writing all this, I am now beginning to wonder why I have chosen not to go this year. I need my head testing!

48 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Mention the Healing Fields too - she can learn about yoga, Tai Chi, meditation, massage, etc.

After writing all this, I am now beginning to wonder why I have chosen not to go this year. I need my head testing!

still time in the resale 😀

@surfbunnyuk

I'm sure there's been a couple of detailed threads on this in the past with some great advice, I've tried to find them but the search function on here is clunky to say the least. @Yoghurt on a Stick has already given you some great pointers. I know a family that took advantage of the exposure to new cultural experiences and learning about the environment, charity, equality, acceptance of others different from themselves, social justice, etc by getting their children to make a scrapbook of their time at the festival and presenting it to their teachers when they returned. They took photos, wrote about the things they learned, collected wristbands, handouts, tickets, posters and other Glastonbury-related items and put them in a scrapbook. The kids enjoyed doing it, they learned something and the parents minds were eased after not needing to lie to the school. Maybe the school took a valuable lesson from it themselves?

I'm sure a child could get a more useful "real-life" education from five days at the festival than two weeks in a school. Best of luck

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I think you should, Yog. Clearly the festival still holds a special place in your heart. Ok, maybe the main areas aren't your bag these days but there's still an abundance of other activities that seem right up your street.

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

@surfbunnyuk

I'm sure there's been a couple of detailed threads on this in the past with some great advice, I've tried to find them but the search function on here is clunky to say the least. @Yoghurt on a Stick has already given you some great pointers. I know a family that took advantage of the exposure to new cultural experiences and learning about the environment, charity, equality, acceptance of others different from themselves, social justice, etc by getting their children to make a scrapbook of their time at the festival and presenting it to their teachers when they returned. They took photos, wrote about the things they learned, collected wristbands, handouts, tickets, posters and other Glastonbury-related items and put them in a scrapbook. The kids enjoyed doing it, they learned something and the parents minds were eased after not needing to lie to the school. Maybe the school took a valuable lesson from it themselves?

I'm sure a child could get a more useful "real-life" education from five days at the festival than two weeks in a school. Best of luck

The scrap book idea is a great one.

anything less than 5 days , you should be fine just saying they are ill.  as long as it isn't a full 5 days straight

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I think you should, Yog. Clearly the festival still holds a special place in your heart. Ok, maybe the main areas aren't your bag these days but there's still an abundance of other activities that seem right up your street.

Hello Supernintendo Chalmers,

Yeah, the festival will always have a special place in my heart. That'll never go away. There's a number of reasons why I can't go this year, which all really stack up. However, I might just try for tickets in 2020, to celebrate the anniversary, with one last fandango. And yes, I'd probably swerve the main areas if I do go again. 

In addition to the above, I have now offered another efester my services for attempting to buy them tickets for this year. Talking of which, it's the efests meet up that I'll actually miss the most this year. I've only been to it a few times, but it has also become special to me. 

Hope you have a great festival this year SC.  :)

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, surfbunnyuk said:

I am currently trying to fill in my daughters holiday form for Glastonbury, she is in year ten but would have finished all of her exams by the time the festival starts. Other than saying how lucky we are to get a ticket and that it’s the best festival in the world lol, what I can I put to encourage them to say yes? The school is pretty good if they think that you will be learning different things so any help would be fabulous, thank you xx 

If the school is supportive of learning opportunities away from the school curriculum then have a quiet word with a deputy/head/friendly teacher to see what should be included.  I did this in 2017 and the school were great and we got approval before we even put the form in.  Saying that, my child was younger and I believe that in Scotland the rules are more relaxed than in England (assuming that is where you are).  We even got a "Enjoy Glastonbury" from the head teacher on the Tuesday before we headed down to the farm!

On 3/11/2019 at 11:00 AM, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Tell the school that it's the worlds largest festival for contemporary performing arts.That she'll experience a variety of music types from around the world, that she'll be exposed to theatre, circus, cinema, etc. Tell them that she'll learn all about environmental issues, and our need to address them, as well as witnessing some of the methods that the world is adopting to reduce our carbon footprints eg solar power. Tell them that she will get to experience differing food types from around the world, which will educate her palate, and her mind. 

This ⬆️

Pretty much what what I said when mine was in Y9. Teachers were jealous as f**k

Drug and alcohol awareness, too: 

‘Mum, why is that man lying on the floor screaming about the Sky people coming to steal his eyeballs?’ 

‘That’s Ketamin darling, you should avoid that at all times’ 

‘no shit, mum 😳

You could mention the charities, Glastonbury's innovative work on sustainability to help with climate change. You could mention artists from around the world. If David Attenborough is announce then that's an open and shut case. 

• Upvote 1

I came clean a couple of years ago and requested the time off to attend. The school sent me a letter which outlined reasons where time off would be approved. Music Festivals were explicitly excluded from the list. We were fined £60 per parent for unauthorised absence

Our school's stated policy is that they will approve absences for funerals and nothing else. It actually keeps things simple - given my children's excellent attendance records we will be ringing in sick without guilt. 

Avoids taking a gamble and risking being turned down, getting fined etc.  Just means that my daughter is not allowed to talk about going to her school friends.

9 hours ago, SloopJohnB said:

I came clean a couple of years ago and requested the time off to attend. The school sent me a letter which outlined reasons where time off would be approved. Music Festivals were explicitly excluded from the list. We were fined £60 per parent for unauthorised absence

😩 that’s harsh 

Check the the school absence but im pretty sure it has ben more then 5 days before they can fine you and to do tht they have to take you to court which only the local authority can do wether the school is a acsdemy or not’ most local athorities will only do tht if everything else has been tried’ i widnt worry to much! Every child has the right to be edicated st home! Parents just have to provide evidence of doing this! Glastonbury is a great learning environment!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, funkychick2007 said:

Check the the school absence but im pretty sure it has ben more then 5 days before they can fine you and to do tht they have to take you to court which only the local authority can do wether the school is a acsdemy or not’ most local athorities will only do tht if everything else has been tried’ i widnt worry to much! Every child has the right to be edicated st home! Parents just have to provide evidence of doing this! Glastonbury is a great learning environment!

4/10...

Please ask Mr & Mrs Funkychick2007 to come in and discuss your home education at their earliest convenience.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, BlueDaze said:

4/10...

Please ask Mr & Mrs Funkychick2007 to come in and discuss your home education at their earliest convenience.

Ha  ha this response made me laugh the mistakes are due to the limited mobility in my thumb when typing on my phone not wearing my glasses and efestivals not having spell check the essence of the message is dont worry take them! Oh and I work for the local authority dealing with school non attenders! 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, funkychick2007 said:

Ha  ha this response made me laugh the mistakes are due to the limited mobility in my thumb when typing on my phone not wearing my glasses and efestivals not having spell check the essence of the message is dont worry take them! Oh and I work for the local authority dealing with school non attenders! 

and my response was after getting home at 01:30 full of faaaar too much Guinness....**

I am glad it was taken in the good humour it was supposed to be delivered in.. 😉

When my youngest was 16 we left her at home (with her Mum) so she could sit GCSE's and she came down on the train on Thursday... (approrpriate parenting rules!..)

** Note to self - Keep off the interweb after Guinness excesses.

Phew... and i resisted the desire for mocking emojis... (👍 🧐)

• Upvote 1

I think primary age they are normally more lenient in my experience but Year 10 is a different kettle of fish. Plus they are over 13 and you have to pay for them. I think illness is your only option but then you would have to not talk about it and your teen would have to not insta it which we know is actually physically impossible for them.

How times have changed. I remember three of us getting official time off school from the Head to go to the Bath Festival of Blues and Progressive Music in 1970 - the precursor to the first Glastonbury later that year.

We were in the Lower Sixth (year 10 in new money) and we had completed our mock A levels and were just hanging around anyway.