Firsts and Favourites

Display-Name

First Glastonbury: 2010

Favourite Glastonbury: Each of them have had moments of perfection that make it impossible to choose between them.  Though I guess if I had to choose, '17 maybe?  or '13.   Although '15 was pretty amazing.   

First Glastonbury Act: I could do a Rolf Harris joke but I'm better than that. 2010 is nothing but a hazy blur so it's hard to remember anything except Stevie Wonder

Favourite Glastonbury Gig: It's a three way tie between Stevie Wonder, Chic headlining West Holts and Massive Attack headlining the Other stage (2014 or 15 I think)

First Festival Act:  Dillinger Escape Plan at Leeds festival 2002.  As a pretentious metal fan, I bloody loved it.  The rest of the crowd was very confused.

First Non Festival Gig: Possibly 2manydjs at Chibuku's birthday in liverpool - '03 possibly? 

Favourite Non Festival Gig: hmm, it's between Modeselektion at the WHP (if DJ's count), Tool (supported by Mastodon) in 2008 and Rage Against The Machine in Germany in 2008.  

First Glastonbury: 2009 - same as quite a few people on here it seems! 

Fave Glastonbury: 2017. I don’t know why that year edges it over the others but it just felt a little bit more special. 

First Glasto Act: Ebony Bones in The Queens Head at Williams Green. We ducked in there to shelter from a massive downpour and she was brilliant!

Fave Glasto Act: Can’t decide between Blur 09 or Foo Fighters 17. Both were brilliant.

First Non-Festival Gig: I think it was The Spice Girls when I was young. 

Fave Gig: Tough one, probably Blur at Hyde Park in 2012 (where me and Mr Balls got engaged) or maybe Blur at Hyde Park in 2009. Or Kasabian at Southend Cliffs Pavillion in 2017, it’s a tiny venue and the atmosphere was insane.

First 1994: Big Ground in an A Frame tent. All night dancing in Babylon to Swamp Thing by The Grid. 15 of us in our party. Many substances. Levellers.

Best: 1995: All came together. Mega heat. Explored South of the Railway Line properly. Got my first didge! The Prodigy.

Looking at 1994/5 Line Up: my God I wish I could go back in time and see this lot all in the same place again... I feel so old.

First Glasto - 2008. Great atmosphere but nothing much to speak of musically.

Favourite Glasto - 2009 probably just edges out 2014. 2009 was the year I 'got it.' I was unemployed in 2014 so the escape was extra special that year.

First Glasto Act - Kate Nash, Pyramid.

Favourite Glasto Act - Blur, 2009. Unsurpassable.

1st Glastonbury.  Too long ago to recall

Favourite Glastonbury.  Every single one I've attended and a couple I wished I'd attended.

First Glastonbury act. See 1st Glastonbury.

Favourite Glastonbury act. Could never choose but Underworld doing Born Slippy was near on to being a religous experience. Definitely spiritual. ?

First Glastonbury: 2010
First Glastonbury act: Mik Artistik, on my way to the Pyramid, so thank you Mik, otherwise, you all know who it would have been
Favourite Glastonbury: 2015 - Motorhead and the Dali Lama on one weekend!!
Favourite Glastonbury act: Rolling Stones
First non-Fest gig: Dr. Feelgood waaaay back in the 70s; although, my brother tells me that we saw Hendrix during a seaside Mike & Bernie Winters show when I was 6, no clue. Apparently he did that before he was famous.
Best Gig: Really tough, one - but I'll go for Dead Kennedys, 1980, Hyde Road, Manchester.

16 hours ago, mazola said:

Favourite 2010 I think, did it still have the alley ways in Shangri La then? Had one of the best nights of my life getting lost in there with a couple of great friends.

Me too. Dont think I'll ever top the Saturday of 2010 for nights out. Muse into dancing with cows in the Dance Village, into alleyways in Shangri La, into smoking in sunrise at the Stone cicle with a guy dressed as a fox, then stumbled across the Underground Piano Bar (which was a caravan front that year) when looking for toilets and finally bagged out up by the Glasto sign because we knew the tent would already be too hot to sleep in. Bliss. 

First Glastonbury: 2000

Favourite Glastonbury: 2003

First Glastonbury Act: The Wailers or Ladysmith Black Mambazo I think - can't remember who was on first.

Favourite Glastonbury Gig: David Bowie, 2000

First Festival Act: Faithless, V99

First Non Festival Gig: R.E.M, Cardiff Arms Park, 1995

Favourite Non Festival Gig: tough one, Bon Iver 2018 was special. I'll go with that today. 

First Glastonbury: 2009

Favourite Glastonbury: It's a tough one but I'll go for 2009 as I just had the best time, 2015 ran it close though.

First Glastonbury act: Cannot remember pretty sure I saw a band at Club DaDa on the Wednesday night in 09.

Fave Glastonbury gig: Fave Pyramid show; Foo Fighters 2017. I was one of the few people  who had never seen them before and they blew me away. Fave act I had never heard or seen before; Goat on The Park stage 2015, just outstanding. Fave performance by an old familiar face; Alabama 3 The Glade 2015, if they had asked me to write a setlist that was pretty much it.

First non festival gig. Motorhead Hammersmith Odeon March 29 1982, Iron Fist tour with Fast Eddie still in the band.

Fave Non festival gig: Again after going to around something like 1000  or shows  (certainly high 100's), it's tough so I am going to plump for Taylor Swift, Wembley Stadium 2018. I had ticket but a friend of mine is mates with Charlie Xcx's tour manager and upgraded us to the Snakepit, got us Charlie's vodka to drink in the dressing room and we had crew catering, a mesmeric day topped of by a simply amazing show from Taylor. It really was quite the day out.

First Glastonbury: 2009

Favourite Glastonbury: 2009 or 2014 i think.

First Glastonbury Act: Alessi's Ark

Favourite Glastonbury Gig: Blur 2009 or LCD 2016, probably Blur.

First Festival Act: Took me ages to find this, bu it was Goldie Lookin Chain at V festival 2005

First Non Festival Gig: Razorlight Keele Uni 2004.

Favourite Non Festival Gig: Oasis at the Etihad in 2005

First Glasto: 2017

First Glasto Act: The Pretenders opening the Other Stage

Favourite Glasto Act: Foo Fighters - having missed them twice in 2015, I was really looking forward to them and they definitely did not disappoint. 

First Festival: V Fest 2010

First Festival Act: Feeder

First Gig: Get Cape Wear Cape Fly at HMV in Southend. 

Favourite Gig: Tough choice as been to so many, however if I had to pick one it's either Queen + Adam Lambert at The O2 17th Jan 2016 or Taylor Swift at Wembley Stadium, 22nd June 2018. I honestly can't pick between those two. 

First Glasto: 1993

First Glasto Act: Velvet Underground

Favourite Glasto Act: No idea, loads of them, can never do the ranking thing. 

First Festival: Reading 89

First Festival Act: Les Negresses Vertes

First Gig: . Transvision vamp

Favourite Gig: the next one

1 minute ago, mazola said:

Me too! (Chelmsford)

Mine was at Staffs, I absolutely loved GLC at the time.

I went for the day, remember being stood at the 2nd stage all day pretty much and watching a lot of great (well at the time) indie bands.

The Departure, Magic Numbers, The Bravery, Kaiser Chiefs and Doves then over to watch Oasis.

This has taken some trawling through the memory banks.

First Glastonbury: 2009

First Glastonbury act: Golden Silvers on the Park.

Favourite Glastonbury: Probably 2013.  Knew my way around by that stage, the first time we went with a (slightly) expanded group so lovely memories of that, and also had got to know the friends of friends by that point so a lovely community to it.

Favourite Glastonbury act: Levellers, Glade 2010. Favourite band, favourite stage, favourite festival. Glorious. Might have mentioned it before. Honourable mention to Blur in '09.

First non-festival gig: If we're including local bands it would have been (I think) Petburger at the Rainham Oast House. If we're talking gig gigs, Levellers at Guildford Civic Centre.

Favourite non-festival gig: Difficult. For sheer smiles on faces, Dub Pistols in Brighton in 2017.  Was the day of my aunt's funeral, and was 50/50 about going.  Decided to do it and it was absolutely life-affirming stuff. Felt like a fitting send off.

First Glasto: 2004

First Glasto Act: Wilco (Pyramid)

Favourite Glasto Act: Hmmmm this is tough.....Flaming Lips 2017 (Park) WHAT A SHOW, INCREDIBLE, EMOTIONAL!!

First Festival: Monsters of Rock (Castle Donnington) - think it was 1988....

First Festival Act: absolutely no idea

First Gig: Sisters of Mercy + Psychedelic Furs, Derwent College, Uni of York (1982)

Favourite Gig (outside Glastonbury): George Clinton's P-Funk All Stars, Hammersmith Odeon (1988)

First Glastonbury: 1999

First Glastonbury Act: Bjorn Again opening the Pyramid

Fave Glasto: 2017. Radiohead smashed it on the Friday (last time I had seen them was the secret set on Park with shite sound). Jacksons were awesome on the Saturday. Justice was the perfect headliner for the closing of the festival - even though I continued partying until 6am up the South East Corner before trying to drive home after an hours kip.

First Glasto 1997.

Best Act seen - Possibly Radiohead that year due to the emotion of it being the first but they were fab. Been a lot of good ones since.

Favourite Glasto is difficult. Possibly 1997 as it was the first and has had a massive effect on my life. Possibly 2010 when I went with my son and we spent ages one night just sitting chatting and sharing a beer or two in the lanes in the SE corner. Possibly 2019 - you never know.

First Festivals - Bath 1969 and 1970 Life changers.