Firsts and Favourites

Display-Name

First Glastonbury: 2010, glorious sunshine and comes close to being my favourite as the weather combined with the pure awe and sense of freedom I felt at 15 was pretty incredible. Favourite: 2016, old friends all reunited for a wonderfully chaotic festival.

Glastonbury Performance: Rolf Harris ?  Favourite: Adele 2016, wasn't expecting her to smash it like she did and combined with the rest of the festival being incredible it was certainly a highlight.

Non-Glastonbury Performance: Bjorn Again at the Glastonbury Extravaganza 2009. Favourite: The National at All Points East 2018. The perfect weather, the perfect start to summer, the perfect level of drunk ? Something clicked and struck an emotional cord with me. The one and only time I've ever cried tears of happiness watching a band. 

First Glastonbury: 2017

First Glastonbury Act: George Ezra, Other Stage Friday

Favourite Glastonbury Gig: Radiohead, Pyramid Friday

First Festival Act: Neon Jungle, V Fest Weston Park (RIP) 2014

First Non Festival Gig: Kaiser Chiefs, Wolves Civic 2014

Favourite Non Festival Gig: Foals, EartH 2019

First Glastonbury: 2013, and it's also my favourite. My favourite band The Rolling Stones getting announced made it for me before I even arrived! 

First Glastonbury Performance: Haim (I think), first main stage act in any case. Favourite: Stones aside, Chic over at West Holts. Magical night.

First Non-Glastonbury Performace: Linkin Park, absolute belter of a gig. Favourite: The Prodigy at Creamfields 6-7 years ago. Just wow. 

Edited by djdavejohnson
Typo

First Glastonbury: 2009 with Oxfam. Favourite Glastonbury: 2010. The combination of the weather and it being our first year not working meant we knew our way around, but also had LOADS still to discover. 

First Glasto act: Should have been Maximo Park on the Thursday. We went and were in prime position and then i thought i was going to pass out as the 12 hour overnight Oxfam shift that I'd not long finished had killed me off, so it ended up being half of Bjorn Again on the Pyramid and then The Early Edition in the Comedy tent. Favourite Act: Rolling Stones. Despite it being absolutely manic, everything just seemed to click and it was an amazing gig. 

First non-Glasto gig: The Stereophonics. 

First Glastonbury: 2008

Favourite Glastonbury: 2014

First Glastonbury Act: Mungo's Hi-Fi, Leftfield, Thursday 2008

Favourite Glastonbury Gig: Ray Davies, Acoustic Tent, Friday 2009

First Festival Act: Elbow, Reading Festival 2000

First Non Festival Gig: The Prodigy, Universe Big Love 1993

Favourite Non Festival Gig: Rage Against The Machine, Finsbury Park 2010 

Edited by Supernintendo Chalmers

First 2008, I think it was Kate Nash if we are talking main stages

Favourite 2010 I think, did it still have the alley ways in Shangri La then? Had one of the best nights of my life getting lost in there with a couple of great friends.

Favourite Perfomance - Chic at West Holts

First non G - Australian Doors in brixton i think, early 90's.

Fav non G - Arctic Monkeys in a tiny place in Southend, think it was called Samantha's

First G: 09

Fave: probably 16. Hard work but seemed worth it. Thought I'd be doing it on my own as well as my mates dropped out but my dad got a ticket in the resale and we had a hilarious weird ol' time.

First performance: no idea. Ages ago ahahah.    

Favorite: The Fall, 2015. Too obvious? I'm not here to surprise you.

First non G: a relative took me to see (my favourite band at the time) Good Charlotte on a family holiday in Canada. 

Favourite: Nick Cave, Manchester 2017. Used to be tied with a couple of others but one of the Red Hand Files span it slightly to get the top spot.

Edited by priest17
Wrong date.
  • Upvote 1

First Glastonbury: 2010 - Wall to wall sunshine, life changing.

Favourite Glastonbury: 2010 - Although that may be effected by primacy so favourite other was 2015 had pregnant wife with me and felt the baby kick for the first time during Belle and Sebastian.

First Glastonbury Performace: Probably something on the Bandstand but kicked things off main stage-wise with The Magic Numbers on the Other Stage who where perfectly pleasant.

Favourite Glastonbury Performance: Tie between Ray Davies Pyramid 2010 - Pete Quaife has just died making this an emotional and beautiful piece of magic and Stornoway Crow's Nest 2011 - That year was a bit of a struggle but this was a really special moment in such an intimate setting.

First gig: V-Twin at The Arches 1999 -won tickets off the radio. Support from Future Pilot AKA and Telstar Ponies it was superb.

Favourite Gig: Tom Waits Glitter and Doom tour Edinburgh Playhouse 2008 - I fucking love Tom Waits and this was great the set list was fantastic Singapore, God's Away on Business, Tom Traubert's Blues, Innocent When You Dream, so many of the songs I wanted to hear but then again he could have played for days and still been knocking out bangers.

First Glastonbury - 1993

Favourite - 1995 where loads of my friends came and I had the non camera phone freedom to go nude around the festival without a care in the world?

And 2009 when I had a 3 day Glastonbury romance with a worker at the Lost Horizons sauna. Plus, I loved the three Pyramid headliners of Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen and Blur. That Blur performance was emotional...!

First Glastonbury: 2009. Was a amazing experience finally being allowed to go to a festival I have seen and heard so much about.

Favourite Glastonbury: 2010 - Just had everything and Stevie Wonder.

First Glastonbury Performace: Bjorn Again opening the Pyramid in 2009. Cried through most of the set with the realisation that I was finally home.

Favourite Glastonbury Performance: Tie between Rolling Stones and Coldplay in 2016. Stones because they where my Dad's favourite band and he died 2 months before they played. We brought his ashes to the set so he could be part of it. Coldplay because I had my worst festival due to illness and was never coming again to it but the light show and set made me realise what I would be missing.

First gig: Level 42 Paignton Festival Theatre 1983. I was 15 and they where my favourite group at the time.

Favourite Gig: Between Rolling Stones 1990 Cardiff Arms Park and Tina Turner Woburn Abbey 1990. Was an amazing 2weeks in the summer of 1990 being able to watch two massive acts with huge stage shows. It was also the time when The Stones had to cancel their first gig in 27 years due to Keith having an infected finger.

First Glasto: 2007, and probably still my favourite, narrowly beating 2017 (where my now husband proposed!). For some reason the awfulness of the weather just didn't seem to have any impact on my noob wonderment of the whole thing. Just loved it so much.

First Glasto Performance: I can't actually remember which is terrible I know. I was a complete metal head when I started going to Glastonbury and wasn't really there for the acts, so I was mainly wandering from place to place and checking out whatever was on rather than following any kind of programme. I definitely saw the Chems that year. Think I also saw Patrick Wolf but can't be 100% sure.

Favourite Glastonbury Performance: Blur '09 was a real moment for me. Also loved MGMT in '08!

First Glastonbury - 2009.   Completely overwhelmed by the magic of the whole place and have been fortune to go back every year.   Weather was good overall from what I recall.  

Favourite Glastonbury - 2017.    I still enjoy it more each time I go.  '17 was a great weather year and I saw so many brilliant sets.

First Glastonbury performance - Alessi's Ark and Golden Silvers in The Queen's Head (?) on the Thursday night.   1st set of the main festival was General Fiasco in the John Peel Tent on the Friday.

Favourite Glastonbury performance - Blur headlining in 2009 is the greatest live set that I have seen anywhere ever.    It will stay with  me forever.

First Glastonbury: 2015

Favourite Glastonbury: 2017

First Glastonbury Act: The Charlatans 

Favourite Glastonbury Gig: Chemical Brothers, Other Stage 2015

First Festival Act: Howler, Leeds 2012

First Non Festival Gig: Miles Kane, Kasbah/Colly Coventry 2011

Favourite Non Festival Gig: Radiohead, Roundhouse 2016

First: 1995

First act: not a bleeding clue. The only clear memory of that first Glastonbury is seeing massive attack.

Favourite: Really hard to choose like trying to name your favourite child! If I'm forced I'll probably pick 2010. Weather was perfect (for me) but mainly because it was the last time time our whole group got tickets think there was 20 of is in total. Those days are sadly gone now.

First Glastonbury: 2010

Favourite Glastonbury: All of them

First Glastonbury Act: Rolf Harris !!! (The Stranglers were the 2nd act I watched)

Favourite Glastonbury Gig: Chic Headlining West Holts

First Non Festival Gig: The Christians 1990

Favourite Non Festival Gig: Deacon Blue La Scala (Played Raintown in full)

First Glastonbury: 2016 which was truly a baptism of fire with the mud that year.

Fav Glastonbury: 2017, the weather was fantastic and it was much easier being able to actually wander and bimble around the site to see things i'd missed the year earlier.

First Glastonbury Act: Either Beans on Toast on Greenpeace stage or Tankus the Henge at the bandstand. 

Fav Glastonbury gig: Really enjoyed Foo's in 2017 but The XX were fantastic on the friday.

First non festival gig: Pulp 1995

Fav non festival gig: This is tough as The Stones at Murrayfield last year were amazing however The Stone Roses at Heaton park in 2012 were out of this world.

First Glastonbury: 2015

Favourite Glastonbury: Despite the conditions, 2016

First Glastonbury Act: Tried unsuccessfully to get into WG for Wolf Alice on the Thursday so instead it was The Charlatans on the Friday morning

Favourite Glastonbury Gig: LCD Soundsystem headlining The Other, 2016

First Non Festival Gig: East 17 @ SECC, 1994 (yeah, I know)

Favourite Non Festival Gig: The Strokes @ The Barrowlands, 2002

First Glastonbuy - 2009 - arrived in the middle of the night on Wednesday night, it seemed massive and scarey, by the end of the first day I'd totally fallen in love with it

First Glastonbury act - F&*cked up John Peel - amazing experience

First headliner - The Doves John Peel 2009

First pyramid headliner - Bruce Springsteen

First non festival gig - King supported by Dum major (about 1985 Hammersmith Odeon ) , my love of live music cemented that night, I'd desperately wanted to see Tears for Fears the year before but my parents deemed me too young :-( . I finally saw them live last year

Favorite non festival gig - James last Saturday at the Royal Albert Hall, probably as I'm still on a post gig it was the perfect mix of emotion, and a band that don;t go through the motions, they supported themselves with an acoutsic set, the audience was perfect, very few mobiles, no chattering at all (you could hear a pin drop in the acoustic set) and it was just perfection

First Glastonbury: 1985

Favourite Glastonbury: 2009 - first time for 19 years and the headliners were just perfect for me

First Glastonbury Act: Lord knows. I can barely remember what I had for lunch yesterday let alone the first act I saw nearly 34 years ago!

First Non Festival Gig: Queen at Cardiff Castle 1976

Favourite Non Festival Gig: Too many to choose from - stadium? arena? small venue? Some of The Jam gigs were intense.