Book Club

djdavejohnson

On 1/13/2020 at 3:35 PM, eFestivals said:

I read that a while back. Fascinating, although he's of course whitewashing his own role in things.

I love reading a fascist, me. I got a "Mosley: why I was right about everything" type of book for xmas, which doesn't have anyone credited as the author (hmmmm), and is a load of snippets of other people or newspapers talking about Mosley or events around him, and of course there was no selective choosing of those snippets, no sir. :lol: 

Yeah, the whole 'spot the bullshit' angle added a whole extra layer. Top whopper was prpb 'I was going to kill Hitler but the logistics changed sadly' (v German).

• 2 months later...

Aiming to ramp up the reading now I have been furloughed. Bought this other day, a study into cognitive dissonance. Been meaning to read about psychology for a while and this seems a great entry point. A group of '50s US psychologists infiltrated a cult to study how the members reacted when the world didn't end as predicted after all. Apparently it's very funny too!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/When-Prophecy-Fails-Leon-Festinger/dp/1905177194

Have also pulled out all the serious books on my shelf to read. Some have been there for years. Aim is to read them all! Almost finished the Trump one (the second in the series). Was almost finished done with it three weeks ago but stopped dead as suddenly how incompetent he is became much less amusing. Will crack back on today!

40b372df-766c-4107-8598-3639e3236ccd.jpg

• 6 months later...
On 6/8/2019 at 8:46 AM, pryce said:

Finished it on Thursday, It was a bit slow in places at the start but I went through the middle and end very quickly, funny, witty, and sad. well worth a read! Looking forward to the TV series this month now. 

I am now on slaying the badger which is another cycling book it's about the greatest tour de France in 1986, so far so good 

My favourite book. One of the few I can read and re-read

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
16 hours ago, Brigaili said:

And not so long ago I started reading the book "The Catcher in the Rye" and I can already say that it is quite cool. I heard about this book as a critique of superficiality in society, and that is why it interested me. I think it will be interesting for many.

Just remember it's a book and it's not telling you to kill any celebrities but if you must Jacob Rees-Mogg would be good target!

And the other day I read the book "The Great Gatsby" and I can say that it is also interesting and has a special plot, but I still like the book "The Catcher in the Rye". Still, it has a certain feature. This content interesting and I really like it, so I recommend you to get acquainted with it as well, maybe it will affect someone just like me.

Edited by Brigaili

• 1 year later...
3 minutes ago, solik4 said:

My favorite book is The Catcher in the Rye. This is an interesting story of a teenager, I recommend reading it

Wasn't that the book that the FBI found the killer of John Lennon had read. Not read it but I will give it a chance.

I can't see that well so I use audible. I am mainly into horror and scifi but I loved The Time Travellers Wife so I am into anything I guess. Any recommendations 

On 3/12/2019 at 10:39 AM, pryce said:

my new years resolution this year has been to try and read a book a month, I have been terrible at reading books recently and end up scrolling through youtube wastefully! on track this year though!

book 1 was Stalingrad (started last year)

i've read that, i love a bit of despot history.

I've almost finished book 21/25 from my target for the year. So I want to share the latest books I read, it might be interesting.

I like ‘’This Much is True’’ by Miriam Margolyes. I actually liked this autobiography more than I thought I would. It was a pleasure to read. Miriam shared beautiful memories of her childhood and so well written.

‘’12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos’’ by Jordan B. Peterson. This book is a rare combination of being both highly intelligent and articulate. I have recommend this book often.

‘’Shares made simple (A Beginner's Guide to the Stock Market)’’ by Rodney Hobson. Very informative, but i was expecting more tips like building up your portfolio.

’William Faulkner’s Barn burning & it’s socio-economic levels’’. Article displays a hierarchy of different financial level that is used to portray different socio-economic standpoints among groups

0345816021.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_SX500_.jpg

Edited by rlx_max
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, rlx_max said:

I've almost finished book 21/25 from my target for the year. So I want to share the latest books I read, it might be interesting.

I like ‘’This Much is True’’ by Miriam Margolyes. I actually liked this autobiography more than I thought I would. It was a pleasure to read. Miriam shared beautiful memories of her childhood and so well written.

‘’12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos’’ by Jordan B. Peterson. This book is a rare combination of being both highly intelligent and articulate. I have recommend this book often.

‘’Shares made simple (A Beginner's Guide to the Stock Market)’’ by Rodney Hobson. Very informative, but i was expecting more tips like building up your portfolio.

‘’William Faulkner’s Barn burning & it’s socio-economic levels’’. Article displays a hierarchy of different financial level that is used to portray different socio-economic standpoints among groups

I must say that I was impressed by Jordan B. Peterson's "12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos." I found his arguments to be well-reasoned and thought-provoking, and I appreciated his focus on the importance of personal responsibility. In particular, I agreed with his contention that we must each take control of our own lives if we want to create a meaningful existence. Peterson offers a refreshingly commonsense approach to living a successful life, and I would recommend his book to anyone seeking practical guidance on how to create a fulfilling life.

5 minutes ago, Dona Walker said:

I must say that I was impressed by Jordan B. Peterson's "12 Rules for Life: An Antidote to Chaos." I found his arguments to be well-reasoned and thought-provoking, and I appreciated his focus on the importance of personal responsibility. In particular, I agreed with his contention that we must each take control of our own lives if we want to create a meaningful existence. Peterson offers a refreshingly commonsense approach to living a successful life, and I would recommend his book to anyone seeking practical guidance on how to create a fulfilling life.

thanks, agree with you about it 🙂

• 9 months later...