Book Club

djdavejohnson

9 hours ago, Homer said:

Did you enjoy the rest of the Armstrong book? I was hooked - some of the ridculous stuff they did - crossing borders to get full transfusions and the like. Crazy!

Is the Mormon one Under the Banner of Heaven? Good read - again, crazy!

Let us know how you go with Catch 22.

yep that's the one, looking forward to it.

I knew about the blood transfusion stuff, but its incredible reading how easy it was for them to get around checks, I loved watching the tour around then and I was sure postal were clean and everyone else was cheating, the signs were obvious when I look back at videos now. Armstrong was a nasty piece of work

On 5/11/2019 at 7:23 PM, pryce said:

Just finished the secret race... That bit in aspen in the restraunt had me raging ha! 

Yeah, I'd forgotten about that! Doesn't Armstrong go up to him and start bullying?

I like the bit right at the beginning where his mum says she's worried about LA, the guys says 'he'll be alright, he's a good cyclist', and she says 'no, I mean because he's such an arsehole'!

Just finished The Immortalists by Chloe Benjamin.

It was pretty enjoyable, a story of 4 siblings who see a fortune teller. They each learn the day they'll die. It then breaks off into 4 individual stories about how they each deal with that knowledge and how they deal with life and death. Of course, there is some crossover between the stories with the characters being siblings.

I thought the first two parts were exceptional but it lost its way in the third part. The fourth part was okay but I felt it ended a little flat.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/13/2019 at 1:24 PM, pryce said:

Started Catch 22, this is going to be a long one, probably my last novel for the year before going more non fiction

How you getting on? I've almost finished book 8/12 from my target for the year - more light relief after all my cult reading. Pretty funny though the fact it is just a set of anecdotes makes it a bit limited as there is no progression (a bit like when I tried to read Mark Steele's In Town - though all MS's other books are v good):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/James-Acasters-Classic-Scrapes-Bestseller/dp/1472247183

15 hours ago, Homer said:

How you getting on? I've almost finished book 8/12 from my target for the year - more light relief after all my cult reading. Pretty funny though the fact it is just a set of anecdotes makes it a bit limited as there is no progression (a bit like when I tried to read Mark Steele's In Town - though all MS's other books are v good):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/James-Acasters-Classic-Scrapes-Bestseller/dp/1472247183

Finished it on Thursday, It was a bit slow in places at the start but I went through the middle and end very quickly, funny, witty, and sad. well worth a read! Looking forward to the TV series this month now. 

I am now on slaying the badger which is another cycling book it's about the greatest tour de France in 1986, so far so good 

• 1 month later...
On 6/8/2019 at 8:46 AM, pryce said:

Finished it on Thursday, It was a bit slow in places at the start but I went through the middle and end very quickly, funny, witty, and sad. well worth a read! Looking forward to the TV series this month now. 

I am now on slaying the badger which is another cycling book it's about the greatest tour de France in 1986, so far so good 

I'm well ahead on my book a month plan. Have now read nine this year, plus two while I was on holiday which I'm not going to count (I can always read loads when I'm on holiday, just not as much when I'm at home for some reason, so they don't count).

Read Kill Your Friends while in Portugal - it's like a Britpop era American Psycho written by Irvine Welsh. Brutal in its cynicism but hilarious for it. Highly recommended. I've just started the sequel, which will be #10. Glad I've retrained my brain to be a reader again.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kill-Your-Friends-John-Niven/dp/0099592096?tag=efestivals-21

17 hours ago, Homer said:

I'm well ahead on my book a month plan. Have now read nine this year, plus two while I was on holiday which I'm not going to count (I can always read loads when I'm on holiday, just not as much when I'm at home for some reason, so they don't count).

Read Kill Your Friends while in Portugal - it's like a Britpop era American Psycho written by Irvine Welsh. Brutal in its cynicism but hilarious for it. Highly recommended. I've just started the sequel, which will be #10. Glad I've retrained my brain to be a reader again.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kill-Your-Friends-John-Niven/dp/0099592096?tag=efestivals-21

finished Under the banner of heaven, great recommendation, flew through it!

onto book 11 now, 'a fans notes' by Frederick Exley

its ok, supposed to be one of the better American novel/biographies but its not pulling me in

need to buy the next batch of 4 books now. 

new books which will probably last me the year

Severance - recommended it from a podcast

E'tape - I am loving tour de France books at the moment, great stories.

Into Thin air - as I loved under the banner of heaven

11.22.63 - much bigger than I though and quite intimidating, so will end on this one ( should probably read a Stephen king book)

• Upvote 1

On 8/6/2019 at 11:42 AM, pryce said:

11.22.63 - much bigger than I though and quite intimidating, so will end on this one ( should probably read a Stephen king book)

I finished 'The Disaster Artist' this morning, which is 11 down for the year (plus a further two while I was on holiday). Have read three in the last three weeks, so have successfully become a 'reader' again (it just took some brain training I guess!). really pleased about it - definitely beats going online arguing with people about Brexit!

Upon a particular recommendation I have just used Audible for the first time. 

Its free to join and you get one credit and then you can leave within 30 days and not spend a thing. 

It really sped up my intake as I listened in the car, kitchen, work etc enabling me to complete a book in half the normal time  

Anyone else do this?

The book was Red Rising by Pierce Brown. The narrator was Tim Gerard Reynolds who was amazing.

I also got the paperback version from the library so ended up reading along sometimes. It was completely unabridged. 

The book was great, set on Mars in 700 years time. It’s like a sci-fi hunger games. 

Next up the sequel Golden Son. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2019 at 7:50 PM, djdavejohnson said:

Made some purchases today - The Strange Death of Europe, Tim Marshall's Divided, How Democracies Die & How Britain Really Works.

I read The Shortest History of Europe while on holiday, and have previously read The Shortest History of Germany. If you enjoyed the books you mentioned then those two would probably be right up your street. 

On 3/14/2019 at 10:17 PM, ian the worm said:

The best book in the world by far is Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. Again it’s huge but amazing stuff on every page. The sequel Mountain Shadow is almost as good - but don’t read them in the wrong order.

I really enjoyed Shantaram, although on picking it up I thought I'd probably hate it! Haven't read the sequel - just ordered it. 

On 4/22/2019 at 5:26 PM, pryce said:

Same, finished Alchemist and Hare with the Amber eyes, both brilliant books...  

I read the Alchemist last summer and found it really inspiring - loved it. The Hare with Amber Eyes isn't grabbing me from the synopsis. 

On 5/11/2019 at 3:41 PM, Homer said:

Book 7 finished. Might read this next - anyone read it?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kill-Your-Friends-John-Niven/dp/0099592096

Satire of the Britpop era, I believe.

I read this while on holiday this summer but didn't really enjoy it. Niven is aiming to be deliberately abrasive with his writing, and is satirising the misogyny of the music industry in the 90s, but I just found it gratuitous and uncomfortable to read. There weren't any characters I became invested in. I'm sure it was Niven's intention to create an entirely hateful cast, but for me it meant I didn't care what happened. I only finished it because it was relatively short - if it had been a longer book I'd have ditched it. 

I'm currently reading Overstory by Richard Powers. I wouldn't normally have gone for it, but had read everything I took on holiday and this was the best option available from a guesthouse on Gili Meno's dusty shelves. It's a collection of several stories about families developing through the 20th century, and each has a connection with trees. I've not yet discovered how the stories come together. It has been surprisingly readable. 

Next up is Booker prize nominated In Our Mad And Furious City - a coming of age novel set in modern day London in the ends - and Dylan Thomas prize nominated Trinity - a semi fictional biography of J Robert Oppenheimer, inventor of the atomic bomb. 

On 5/13/2019 at 1:24 PM, pryce said:

Started Catch 22, this is going to be a long one, probably my last novel for the year before going more non fiction

Catch 22 is my favorite novel of all time. It is long, and consists of just one joke, repeated in multiple formats. It kind of breaks the rule of comedy that you don't repeat a joke so it becomes unfunny. But it then goes on to repeat it over and over until it's hilarious again. It's essentially Heller repeatedly explaining the concept of Catch 22 using multiple different examples, as the narrative slowly creeps along. I absolutely love it, partly because the context is my back, and partly because I love surrealism and nonsense. I fully recognise some people just don't get it though. 

I guess this is kind of what I'm trying to articulate: https://www.thecut.com/2014/07/funny-then-not-funny-then-funny-again-joke.html

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, blutarsky said:

I'm currently reading Overstory by Richard Powers. I wouldn't normally have gone for it, but had read everything I took on holiday and this was the best option available from a guesthouse on Gili Meno's dusty shelves. It's a collection of several stories about families developing through the 20th century, and each has a connection with trees. I've not yet discovered how the stories come together. It has been surprisingly readable. 

I loved Overstory the plot gymnastics required to bring all the roots together aren't the most plausible but it remains engaging throughout and tells you a huge amount about trees.

• 2 months later...

For the first time in my life I can comfortably follow the 50/30/20 rule. (50pc bills / 30pc living / 20pc saving). So I've been reading up on finance, economics and investments. These books have been really helpful so far. Of someone who comes from a working class background I wish someone had taught me some simple life lessons when it comes to finance but it's never to late to start saving

Intelligent Investor - This is probably the daddy of them all, gives you a really clear and balanced view of what you can expect. The original was written in the 70's so it can be a little bit hard to read but it's well annotated for the modern world

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Intelligent-Investor-Definitive-Investing-Practical/dp/0060555661/ref=sr_1_7?keywords=investments&qid=1572623938&sr=8-7

How to Own the World - This one is written with a little bit more swagger but you'll spot the signs from the Intelligent Investor. It gives you a good sense of how the world shapes up today and what you can do to benefit from it without going into to much detail as to why. It's more story led rather than hard data, although it does look at some patterns. Enjoyable read

https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Own-World-life-changing-bestseller/dp/1473695309/ref=pd_sbs_14_2/258-7578667-4760666?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=1473695309&pd_rd_r=89841546-09b8-4050-b3ee-0cbab8f1c806&pd_rd_w=zPaWu&pd_rd_wg=m7jyB&pf_rd_p=cc188cba-1892-42b3-956f-6c67d0ab7a00&pf_rd_r=M6VXZF9F9WTKZT3AVJN3&psc=1&refRID=M6VXZF9F9WTKZT3AVJN3

Shares made simple - This was the first book I read but I'm going to go back to it after reading the other two. It explains very clearly with some examples of formulars and examples of what to look for in good stocks and shares. This is more data/maths/formular driven to give you the confidence in purchasing at the right price.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shares-Made-Simple-beginners-market/dp/0857192353/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=stocks+and+shares&qid=1572624411&s=books&sr=1-2

• 2 months later...

'Bookended' my new year by reading two cracking (if very different) autobiographies while on holiday.

Ending 2019 was this, the only autobiography written by one of the 'leading' Nazis (didn't realise it was over 700 pages when I bought it online!):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inside-Third-Reich-Albert-Speer/dp/1842127357

Also bought this at the time (also over 700!), which apparently explains why a lot of the books 'it wasn't me guv' narrative is (surprise, surprise) actually bullshit (need to read soon):

https://www.amazon.com/Albert-Speer-His-Battle-Truth/dp/0679768122

Then started 2020 with this far easier read:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gotta-Get-Theroux-This-television/dp/1529027144

Easily beat my 12 books target next year, will try for 20 this time I reckon (am already three down).

Edited by Homer

On 8/6/2019 at 11:42 AM, pryce said:

Finished all of these before the year finished so I think I beat my 12 target as well with 15 finished

Into Thin air was an incredible read, I have purchased white spider now which is a book about climbing the North face of the Eiger, love Switzerland and that mountain. 

11.22.63 also a fantastic book

Started on Zone one by colson whitehead.. Slow start but will keep going with this one 

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Ending 2019 was this, the only autobiography written by one of the 'leading' Nazis (didn't realise it was over 700 pages when I bought it online!):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inside-Third-Reich-Albert-Speer/dp/1842127357

I read that a while back. Fascinating, although he's of course whitewashing his own role in things.

I love reading a fascist, me. I got a "Mosley: why I was right about everything" type of book for xmas, which doesn't have anyone credited as the author (hmmmm), and is a load of snippets of other people or newspapers talking about Mosley or events around him, and of course there was no selective choosing of those snippets, no sir. :lol: 

Edited by eFestivals

On 1/13/2020 at 2:32 PM, pryce said:

Finished all of these before the year finished so I think I beat my 12 target as well with 15 finished

Into Thin air was an incredible read, I have purchased white spider now which is a book about climbing the North face of the Eiger, love Switzerland and that mountain. 

11.22.63 also a fantastic book

Started on Zone one by colson whitehead.. Slow start but will keep going with this one 

Glad you enjoyed the Krakauer! Only other I have read is Into the Wild, but it wasn;t as good as the other two sadly (just came across as a bit selfish TBH). Have you seen this? Watched on a flight the other week (took my seatbelt off to get into the whole 'danger' vibe).

How is White Spider? Goes without saying you need to read Touching the Void (am going to see the play tomorrow, funnily enough).