Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I couldn't find a 'books' thread on here, well certainly nothing in the recent search items. So what's everyone reading at the moment?

I'm currently reading The Secret Barrister - Stories of the Law and How It's Broken. Only a couple of chapters in but it has me hooked so far. I've always had a huge interest in the law, I studied it at uni and compliance sits under my remit at work. 

Made some purchases today - The Strange Death of Europe, Tim Marshall's Divided, How Democracies Die & How Britain Really Works.

I read mostly non-fiction these days, but do like a good story every so often. George Orwell's 1984 is my all-time favourite read, which probably isn't a huge surprise given what I read generally. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my new years resolution this year has been to try and read a book a month, I have been terrible at reading books recently and end up scrolling through youtube wastefully! on track this year though!

book 1 was Stalingrad (started last year) brilliant, morbid and insightful

book 2 'Shift' the 3rd book in the wool trilogy by Hugh Howey, loved this trilogy, I was properly invested in the characters.

book 3 'Legacy of Spies' by John Le Carre, quick easy read but kept me invested and a good cold war era spy book.

my current book - 'Birdsong' by Sebastian Faulks. up their with the best books I have read I am actually invested in a love story which takes some doing and the ww1 part of the book is harrowing and very well depicted.

nearly at the end so need some recommendations!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, pryce said:

my new years resolution this year has been to try and read a book a month, I have been terrible at reading books recently and end up scrolling through youtube wastefully! on track this year though!

book 1 was Stalingrad (started last year) brilliant, morbid and insightful

book 2 'Shift' the 3rd book in the wool trilogy by Hugh Howey, loved this trilogy, I was properly invested in the characters.

book 3 'Legacy of Spies' by John Le Carre, quick easy read but kept me invested and a good cold war era spy book.

my current book - 'Birdsong' by Sebastian Faulks. up their with the best books I have read I am actually invested in a love story which takes some doing and the ww1 part of the book is harrowing and very well depicted.

nearly at the end so need some recommendations!

Hi Pryce,

That's great to hear and glad you're sticking to your new years resolution!

I haven't read Stalingrad yet but it has been on my to read list for a while, I'll hopefully get around to this soon.

I haven't read the others you have mnetioned however I will take a look at those.

In terms of recommendations, have you read anything by Ken Follett? Jackdaws is a great read and is a spy thriller set in WW2. Also by Ken Follett is Fall of Giants, the first of the Century Trilogy which is set in WW1 for some of it, and the sequel Winter of the World is set in WW2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice topic. ? 

I read Ken Follets’ Piilars of the Earth years ago - was absolutely huge and brilliant.

The best book in the world by far is Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. Again it’s huge but amazing stuff on every page. The sequel Mountain Shadow is almost as good - but don’t read them in the wrong order.

Just finished There There by Tommy Orange which was very great. A modern book about 3 generations of Native American Indians set in the present day. The climax is set at a Powwow.

Literally just started The History of Love by Nicole Krause and am already hooked. It’s looking good. Second chapter in and the lead man tries nude modelling in his 80’s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, ian the worm said:

Nice topic. ? 

I read Ken Follets’ Piilars of the Earth years ago - was absolutely huge and brilliant.

The best book in the world by far is Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts. Again it’s huge but amazing stuff on every page. The sequel Mountain Shadow is almost as good - but don’t read them in the wrong order.

Just finished There There by Tommy Orange which was very great. A modern book about 3 generations of Native American Indians set in the present day. The climax is set at a Powwow.

Literally just started The History of Love by Nicole Krause and am already hooked. It’s looking good. Second chapter in and the lead man tries nude modelling in his 80’s.

Thanks Ian, thought it'd be good to kickstart something on the book front, although with this mornings news efesters might not have much time for reading, which is perfectly understandable given the circumstances, of course! 

Ah yes Pillars of the Earth - a fantastic read and glad you enjoyed it too!

I haven't read the others you have listed but will be sure to check them out, thanks for mentioning. The History of Love could be quite, er, interesting! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This Hugh Howey sand wool shift series thing. I was recommended it and got one from the library but not sure of the correct order to read them in. I didn’t get very far through whichever one it was. Can’t remember why.

Where should I start?

Does it matter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2019 at 7:50 PM, djdavejohnson said:

George Orwell's 1984 is my all-time favourite read

Then you MUST read The Circle by Dave Eggars

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ian the worm said:

This Hugh Howey sand wool shift series thing. I was recommended it and got one from the library but not sure of the correct order to read them in. I didn’t get very far through whichever one it was. Can’t remember why.

Where should I start?

Does it matter?

Wouldn't be able to help on that one I'm afraid as haven't read anything by Hugh Howey.

1 hour ago, ian the worm said:

Then you MUST read The Circle by Dave Eggars

Oooh is that what the film of the same name is based on? I enjoyed the film so will be sure to check this one out, thanks ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive not seen the circlefilm but I understand it the film of the book 

And it’s   @pryce for the Hugh Howey question.

Edited by ian the worm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ian the worm said:

Ive not seen the circlefilm but I understand it the film of the book 

And it’s   @pryce for the Hugh Howey question.

Wool, shift, dust in that order ....shift is not the best but the other two are brilliant... not classics but good reads

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2019 at 8:56 PM, ian the worm said:

Ive not seen the circlefilm but I understand it the film of the book 

And it’s   @pryce for the Hugh Howey question.

 

21 hours ago, pryce said:

Wool, shift, dust in that order ....shift is not the best but the other two are brilliant... not classics but good reads

Ah yes apologies @ian the worm it was a quick reply before jumping off a train! Useful info for me too, thanks @pryce ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2019 at 10:39 AM, pryce said:

my new years resolution this year has been to try and read a book a month, I have been terrible at reading books recently and end up scrolling through youtube wastefully! on track this year though!

book 1 was Stalingrad (started last year) brilliant, morbid and insightful

book 2 'Shift' the 3rd book in the wool trilogy by Hugh Howey, loved this trilogy, I was properly invested in the characters.

book 3 'Legacy of Spies' by John Le Carre, quick easy read but kept me invested and a good cold war era spy book.

my current book - 'Birdsong' by Sebastian Faulks. up their with the best books I have read I am actually invested in a love story which takes some doing and the ww1 part of the book is harrowing and very well depicted.

nearly at the end so need some recommendations!

I had the same resolution! I used to read a book a week pretty much, but the internet seems to have ruined my attention span. I'm just about to finish number four so all going well. Hoping it's like muscle memory and I'll become a 'reader' again. Beats arguing with strangers about Brexit on the internet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Non-fiction recommendations - these are two of the best books I've ever read. And I've no personal interest in mountaineering or cycling. It's more about the obsessive lengths people will go to:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Secret-Race-Inside-Cover-ups-Winning/dp/055216917X

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Into-Thin-Air-Jon-Krakauer/dp/1447200187 (this was made into the film Everest)

Am currently reading this, also by Jon Krakauer, who wrote the latter:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Under-Banner-Heaven-Story-Violent/dp/0330419129

All about fanatical Mormons and they crazy shit they get up to (marrying children, killing people, etc). V interesting - especially as I read a few books on Scientology last year (also recommended). I seem to be into 'cult books' at the moment!

Edited by Homer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still ahead on my book a month plan, finished this most recently - more cult reading:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Escape-Carolyn-Jessop/dp/0141031514

Now reading number six., which is a novel apparently based on the Manson murders:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Girls-Emma-Cline/dp/1784740446

Might read something not about cults next!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same, finished Alchemist and Hare with the Amber eyes, both brilliant books... I am preferring non fiction I am finding. 

 

Started the secret race and hooked, so thanks Homer for the recommendation.. It was right when I started following cycling so knowing all the names helps

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, pryce said:

Same, finished Alchemist and Hare with the Amber eyes, both brilliant books... I am preferring non fiction I am finding. 

 

Started the secret race and hooked, so thanks Homer for the recommendation.. It was right when I started following cycling so knowing all the names helps

 

Ah, glad you're enjoying it. I have no interest in cycling (aside from doing it) an I found it riveting, so you should get even more out of it!

I read this after FYI, but I didn't enjoy it as much.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seven-Deadly-Sins-Pursuit-Armstrong/dp/1471127559/ref=asc_df_1471127559/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310814132050&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6314588587006696581&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006886&hvtargid=aud-543776533562:pla-563188207386&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Can anyone recommend any decent novels? 

Edited by Homer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Homer said:

 

Ah, glad you're enjoying it. I have no interest in cycling (aside from doing it) an I found it riveting, so you should get even more out of it!

I read this after FYI, but I didn't enjoy it as much.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seven-Deadly-Sins-Pursuit-Armstrong/dp/1471127559/ref=asc_df_1471127559/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310814132050&hvpos=1o2&hvnetw=g&hvrand=6314588587006696581&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=1006886&hvtargid=aud-543776533562:pla-563188207386&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

Can anyone recommend any decent novels? 

It's an oldey but a goody. I am rereading this. Four Seasons by Stephen King. Four novellas that form the basis of films like the Shawshank Redemption and Stand by Me.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

It's an oldey but a goody. I am rereading this. Four Seasons by Stephen King. Four novellas that form the basis of films like the Shawshank Redemption and Stand by Me.. 

 

That's really weird. My wife is reading Salem's Lot and we just had a convo before I saw this and I said to her 'the only Stephen King I've read is The Body and the other short stories'! What are the chances?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost finished book seven (aim is to do 12 this year). After reading three books in a row about cults, I thought I'd give myself a bit of a break:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Help-Simon-Amstell/dp/1784705691

Basically, Simon Amstell self-depracatingly psychoanalysing himself while digging into his problems with depression, his family, coming out, interspersed with excerpts of stand-up. A lot, lot funnier than that sounds, if you like Simon Amstell (which I do). Also, very short, so a good choice for the other person on here trying to hit 12 books this year!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Homer said:

Almost finished book seven (aim is to do 12 this year). After reading three books in a row about cults, I thought I'd give myself a bit of a break:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Help-Simon-Amstell/dp/1784705691

Basically, Simon Amstell self-depracatingly psychoanalysing himself while digging into his problems with depression, his family, coming out, interspersed with excerpts of stand-up. A lot, lot funnier than that sounds, if you like Simon Amstell (which I do). Also, very short, so a good choice for the other person on here trying to hit 12 books this year!

same as you, aiming for the 12 and just about to finish my 7th. have got that mormom book you recommended, catch 22 and slaying the badger (another cycling book) all lined up for the next read

 

catch 22 looks like a long read though ...so hopefully does not trip me up

Edited by pryce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's almost scandalous,  but I haven't read a book in at least the last seven years. I keep buying them, intending to read them, but never do. Yet again, it's the internet that has done for me on this front.

However, in terms of recommendations, I'll tell you only book that ever made me cry is Bridge Across My Sorrows, which is the story of Christina Noble.

Another enlightening book is Stuart: A Life Backwards, by Alexander Masters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, pryce said:

same as you, aiming for the 12 and just about to finish my 7th. have got that mormom book you recommended, catch 22 and slaying the badger (another cycling book) all lined up for the next read

 

catch 22 looks like a long read though ...so hopefully does not trip me up

Did you enjoy the rest of the Armstrong book? I was hooked - some of the ridculous stuff they did - crossing borders to get full transfusions and the like. Crazy!

Is the Mormon one Under the Banner of Heaven? Good read - again, crazy!

Let us know how you go with Catch 22.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...