What 'sums up Glastonbury' for you?

Heartbreaker

OK, been a while since I've ventured on here.. so hello again all! I am currently watching Nile Rodgers 2017 set and I am well and truly in the Glastonbury spirit. It is a set that has everything that I theoretically do not enjoy in music, but, i bloody loved it all, from start to finish it was a magical experience that I am incredibly thankful that I was there for.

Sooo.. whats everyone's "I shouldn't have loved it, by god, it was good, Glastonbury moment" Lets not be shy now!

Edited by Heartbreaker
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Heartbreaker said:

OK, been a while since I've ventured on here.. so hello again all! I am currently watching Nile Rodgers 2017 set and I am well and truly in the Glastonbury spirit. It is a set that has everything that I theoretically do not enjoy in music, but, i bloody loved it all, from start to finish it was a magical experience that I am incredibly thankful that I was there for.

Sooo.. whats everyone's "I shouldn't have loved it, by god, it was good, Glastonbury moment" Lets not be shy now!

I was watching Nile Rogers and Chic at the Isle of Wight last year. It's funny you should remark on how good to watch they are. Because I remember watching them and thinking just that. I'd never really bothered watching them before, but they really are entertaining.

2 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

They were better in 2013 as well. Was a amazing night.

What sums up Glastonbury is more the way people act.

Someone carrying a huge inflatable covered in mud rushing through crowd pushes past gets mud all over my mates face. He shouts oi mate be careful...the guy stops turns apologies and gets a can of beer out to give him...my mate takes it and gives him a sip of whisky....he takes it and gives him tequila....he takes it and gives him.....

this went on for about an hour until they were both hammered and completely forgot where they were rushing to.

I was with the 3 friends waiting on Burt Bacharach to start a few years ago when one of my friends decided to take a picture  of the rest of us. While they were taking the picture someone asked them if they would like them to take it so they could be in the picture. When they were taking the picture someone then asked them the same question, so the first person joined our group to have their picture taken. To cut a long story short this happened again and again until the final picture had around 20 people in it! Every time I look at it now it makes me smile and reminds me how amazing the Glasto crowd is and what a magical place it is. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 5

4 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

This forum sums up Glastonbury ...full of helpful (mostly ) friendly (mostly ) people :) 

Just to confirm that the second mostly relates to freindly and not to people, just  in case the forum has been infiltrated by some aliens. 

I thought for awhile about this, and I think for me it's the realisation you get on the Wednesday afternoon that there are so many possibilities for your weekend, and that you really just have no control over any of it. 

You can plan what bands you want to see, and you can have the most detailed ideas in your head about how you want your Friday night to go, but ultimately your absolute favourite moment of the weekend is likely to be dancing with your pals in some tiny micro venue as a DJ you've never heard of plays Manic Monday dressed as a lobster.

This may sound a little depressing, but one of my favourite moments as a solo traveller is the Friday morning, when the 'moments spent with best friends' is over, and everyone pretty much goes their own way to get what they can out of the festival, and the lonelier amongst us feel more at one with the general vibe.

i thought about this to for a while! No matter where or what im feeling in life if i can share glastonbury in life with friends and family my world is a better place! This quote from Micheal Eavis sum it up for me! 

"In the fields of Worthy Farm, everyone feels part of something - and no one cares about race, creed, or anything,"

"And it's the greatest time in the world isn't it?"

I've been thinking about this a lot recently. It just hit me. Glastonbury for me is an escape. An escape from the worries. An escape from the news. An escape from responsibility. An escape from feeling down. An escape from having to be. We can all just be. 

The worst moment ever at Glastonbury was waking up to that wave of "no fucking way" in 2016. That mud just seemed to fit that year. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

27 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

I've been thinking about this a lot recently. It just hit me. Glastonbury for me is an escape. An escape from the worries. An escape from the news. An escape from responsibility. An escape from feeling down. An escape from having to be. We can all just be. 

The worst moment ever at Glastonbury was waking up to that wave of "no fucking way" in 2016. That mud just seemed to fit that year. 

Yeah, that was SH*T. And overhearing people talking about us walking past our tent brought us back to consciousness and our hangovers WAY earlier than I'd have liked.

Though if we had to be anywhere for the news, I'm glad it was surrounded by so many like-minded people! 

2015 or 2016? The year it rained and the mud was never ending. Leaving the car park on the Monday and feeling very worse for wear, seeing all the lovely people dropping their items to run over and help push me and all the other cars wheel spinning on the paths, helping keep us inline, made me well up. I was already in a real emotional and fragile state and this was a beautiful Glastonbury moment. Some people are actually alright in this world you know - and Glastonbury seems to have a lot of the good folk in attendance.

After years of unsuccessful ticket purchase attempts, I finally managed to get tickets for 2017 for myself and my girlfriend at the time.

There are so many things that make Glastonbury stand out for me from the atmosphere to the people to the sheer size. However, the one thing stood out head and shoulders above the rest was the inclusiveness of the festival.

This was best summed up on the Friday afternoon as we lay on the grass close to the circus when we were approached by two festival-goers: one of which had down syndrome and the other was in a wheelchair with a disability. Dressed from head to toe as traffic wardens, and through bouts of uncontrollable laughter, they issued us with 'parking tickets' and gave us a stern warning as to where we park ourselves on the grass in future. Then with a cheeky grin, they toddled off to find their next victim.

This in itself was absolutely hilarious but it also made me realise Glastonbury was something for everyone. It was such a small thing in the grand scheme of the festival but for me, it was my highlight of 2017.

• Upvote 3

Imagine a scenario where you have to carry, push and/or drag 50kg of equipment, 50% of it that you don't need and you'll never use, over two miles through six inches of thick, sticky mud in 25 degree heat at around 75% humidity. Then when you arrive at your intended living space for the next five days you find yourself situated next to facilities not fit for animals.

Imagine a situation where your sleep quota is reduced to around 3 hours a night after finally getting back to your tent just before sunrise. A combination of the same sunrise and stifling humidity in your temporary canvas accommodation prematurely waking you from your much-needed slumber.

Imagine a place where warm alcohol and questionable food forms your diet.

Imagine paying £250 for the privilege.

Imagine doing it every year.

Imagine actually looking forward to it.

Imagine the best week of the year.

Glastonbury. Fuck yeah.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

All of the above

Just the feeling ...... the feeling of inclusiveness that unfortunately doesn;t exist in the outside world, the feeling of being what and who inside you really want and everyone appreciating that, the feeling that there are great people in the world that share the same hopes and dreams and that feeling when you are watching a band or you are just sitting and watching something random  and you glance across at someone else and your eyes and smiles meet and you realise you are sharing exactly the same moment and feeling with a total stranger who no longer feels like a stranger !