Sober times

morph100

3 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Holy shit! Reading this is almost enough to make me not ever want to drink again!

Not to preach, but be careful... Three years ago I started getting mild night sweats and mild anxiety after benders. "Yeah, no big deal! I can do it!" Three years later in November I was one foot in the hospital because of alcohol wd.

In reality, it shouldn't be an issue as long as you don't go on month-long benders or stay drunk for most of the day (and I mean most of 24 hours) for long periods.

Don’t know if I could do a sober one, i have a bit of anxiety, so having a few makes that go away, so dealing with the crowds is easier.

Also I find the day after having a sesh and getting back on it, my emotions are more heightened, so can feel the music running through my body, if it’s an emotional song I’ll have a lump in my throat, and uplifting song and all my hairs are on ends, my brain breaks down the music and locks on to different rhythms and beats in the back ground, that I would not normally hear, it’s then these songs that stick with me when I’m 6 month down the line

Edited by waynewdk

Deffo going to try and not get black out drunk on the first night again. 

more water in between booze and more pacing myself, which I find near impossible. 

love being tipsy all day but find it hard not to end up rolling round the floor drunk after too long.

21 minutes ago, waynewdk said:

Also I find the day after having a sesh and getting back on it, my emotions are more heightened, so can feel the music running through my body, if it’s an emotional song I’ll have a lump in my throat, and uplifting song and all my hairs are on ends, my brain breaks down the music and locks on to different rhythms and beats in the back ground, that I would not normally hear, it’s then these songs that stick with me when I’m 6 month down the line

Oh yeh, I mean, I'm yet to make it through a Glastonbury without crying at some point. Saturday this year I was welling up all over the place. It's the only place in the world that I find myself nearly in tears because everything is just so fucking beautiful and lovely. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, morph100 said:

Deffo going to try and not get black out drunk on the first night again. 

more water in between booze and more pacing myself, which I find near impossible. 

love being tipsy all day but find it hard not to end up rolling round the floor drunk after too long.

Last year I thought I paced myself reasonably well, and definitely went a whole lot easier on the intoxicants because I knew I had to get back to Glasgow ready for work on Tuesday morning (although tbh my cider intake, particularly on Sunday, was still insanely high).

Despite this, and the fact that I very silensibly went to bed at just gone midnight on Sunday, I still spent Monday and part of Tuesday vomiting and trying not to die. I was physically damaged until half-way through Wednesday when the Glasto blues hit me like a tonne of bricks. Awful. 

So...the lesson here is, you may as well get completely wrecked because the following week is god awful regardless 

I've never done a 100% sober Glastonbury, but I really don't drink very much.

Substances of any kind (even caffeine) are not kind to me. When I get to the stage of "too drunk" I find it really scary to be out of control of my body, which is why I only tend to really let loose with booze when I am in a safe, contained environment. Much as I love Glasto, it is not one of them. I can't imagine how unpleasant it would be to get to my "scared" stage of drunk, combined with my slight anxiety in big crowds, somewhere far from the sanctuary of my tent.

All that being said, it is fun to be a bit drunk with my friends, singing my heart out, but I tend to manage to do that with just a couple of ciders in a day. Then I can safely sober up for night time exploring.

But that's the brilliant thing about Glasto. You really don't have to be drunk or stoned or whatever to enjoy yourself, or at least that's been my experience.

This will be my 4th having not drank since 30-09-2015.  

My advice to those that want to drink less, is drink less. To those that want to stop, stop. And to those that want to carry on, carry on. When you know, you know. 

My experience of stopping was brilliant and I wish I’d done it much earlier.

I am amazed at the number of folks that talk to me during the festival about their wish to stop (when they realise that I have) and I think I’ve helped dozens of people over the years.

• Upvote 5

Another dry one for me this year. It's been that long now that it's not really a thing for me or the people I go with. 

It does help though that my group don't actually drink that much. I mean they get drunk and every now and then one of them might get really drunk, but to be honest, compared to the amount I used to drink it's really not much. I was a proper "don't know when to stop" messy drunk.

I’m having a period of sobriety at the moment for some completely unconnected personal reasons, and I’m really, really enjoying the clarity of thought it gives me, and the extra dollop of weekend as well. No more lazing around in bed feeling dreadful til 2pm: I’m up doing stuff and being healthy.  
quite looking forward to what a sober glasto would be like

• Upvote 1

My biggest fear of a sober Glastonbury is discovering that I don't actually like Mik Artistik after all.

TBH I've done 7 visits now, and I would say I've only been battered (on one thing or another) maybe 3 or 4 times.  It's quite reassuring that it wouldn't actually be a massive step to not drink at all. During the day it's more about the enjoyment of an ice cold pint of cider than getting pissed.

I should caveat that the ones where I was battered (2 of which were at the efests meets :D) were an absolute blast. 

1 minute ago, Havors said:

I neck a dioralyte before i go to sleep... if im sober enought to remember.... works a treat 

I had a trial with necking pints of water before sleep on Sat night ... it just meant I woke up after a few hours needing a piss ... the slight hangover the next day was still there ... im out of practise with this drinking thing though ... think I had a dry December :) 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

I had a trial with necking pints of water before sleep on Sat night ... it just meant I woke up after a few hours needing a piss ... the slight hangover the next day was still there ... im out of practise with this drinking thing though ... think I had a dry December :) 

Haha yeah thats not going to help at glasto... will be pissing like a racehorse anyway if been drinking all day/night.

I throw dioralyte in about 200ml of water and neck it. Help with the dehydration and feel more awake in the morning. Im lucky that dont get hangovers really anyway unless i drink wine... 

5 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Same situation here. Mostly with red wine than white. Then again, I don't think you are supposed to drink the stuff in the quantities that I do when I go on it.

Very true!! haha Im not sure you are meant to drink more than 2 bottle to yourself

I did the 2011 fest sober as my father was terminally ill and I wanted to be able to get home(25mins )  quickly.  The folks were insistent I went as they know what the fest means to me I  so did. Being able to have several days of  ‘ normality’ after 6  months of the madness and sadness that terminal illness brings to those of us living it was surreal but refreshing break and I’ll remember as one of the best: 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Yeo-vile idiot said:

I did the 2011 fest sober as my father was terminally ill and I wanted to be able to get home(25mins )  quickly.  The folks were insistent I went as they know what the fest means to me I  so did. Being able to have several days of  ‘ normality’ after 6  months of the madness and sadness that terminal illness brings to those of us living it was surreal but refreshing break and I’ll remember as one of the best: 

Strangely enough I'd forced myself to stop drinking for two whole years, up until my attendance at Glastonbury in 2011. I survived the first night by only taking mushrooms. Then at about 8am on the Thursday I thought ' fuck it, I'm having a drink'. I finally got to bed from that session on the Friday night just as U2 were coming on stage. 

• 2 years later...

Bumping this - anyone planning to do 2022 sober? I stopped drinking in July, was never a regular/daily drinker but more of a binge drinker getting wasted with mates on a Saturday, but just could not deal with the anxiety and hangover as they began to stretch 2-3 days at least rather than just writing off Sunday. To be honest, I do not miss it as much as I feared and although my mates still do take the mick a bit, I've not really been tempted to start drinking again as I don't feel as if I have missed out on much (if anything) and the feeling of being fresh every day is more than worth it, so this Glasto will be the first I've done sober. 

Same here @hodgey123.  I stopped drinking 22 June 2020, the week I was doing Glastonbury-at-Home and watching lots of gigs online. So I will be two years alcohol-free when this Glastonbury comes around.

I am really pleased I stopped drinking and feel so much better. It was easy enough giving up during lockdown and I worried how I would manage when real life returned. Have to say the gigs I have been to recently I enjoyed immensely. It is almost as if I can hear more detail in the music!

Glastonbury will be my first sober festival, so let's see how that goes. Like others on this thread, I enjoy alcohol-free beers. The new Guinness 0.0 is excellent, but as a pedestrian solo traveller I can't be bringing cans.

Edited by Watergirl
  • Upvote 1