Sober times

morph100

We tend to pace ourselves at Glasto as we love the day activities so much and don't want to miss anything/lose whole chunks of the Fest. We always  head back to the tent early on the Weds, not long after the opening ceremony (the journey in kills us!) And then try and work out the best 2/4 nights to go "hard" (it's all relative!). We're always open to go with the flow, so don't stick to this rigidly, but it's our general rule of thumb. 

1 hour ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

Erdinger Alcohol Frei 0.5%, Brewdog Nanny State 0.5% and Bavaria 0.0% all come in cans 

As does Heineken which isn't bad (it's all relative of course).

Alcohol free Budweiser somehow manages to be worse than you imagine.

Infinite Session are a brewery that only make alcohol free beers, and they're ok too, and come in cans.

Its really nice to see so many stories about less or no drinking in general life and at Glastonbury. I think a lot of us are now realising we need to cut down or cut it out as we get older. I know i have, in normal life i really have cut back and having a drink is now much more of a planned and earned event. At the festival, i have had a drink free Thursdays for the last 2 and it has helped me no end, i get a good nights sleep and then really enjoy Friday onwards. I have also learnt to eat more and drink more water, this helps during the day. Of course the point of no return always kicks in at some point and the restraint goes, but over all, i have a lot more memories these days.

I will have to look into this google tracker, that would fill in the gaps - does it give you times as well?

I’ve never done a Glastonbury sober but I do find myself working at a lot of other festivals. This often means I’m sober for a lot of the weekend. Of course it’s different when you’re at work but I’ve found it makes being sober at festivals when I’m not working a lot easier and I can find a lot of fun in being sober at a music festival now. I wouldn’t of said the same thing before I started working at festivals

I used to get lashed in the first few years, but realised I just couldn't remember the good times I'd had - only that I'd had them.

Wanting to be able to remember all the fun mostly sobered me up as an accidental side-effect. There can still be a couple of wobbly and enthusiastic moments but it's all much more fun just tiddly rather than drunk, and I take very little of anything else past a bit of weed. Late nights when I want them, up for morning gigs feeling great when desired and just tired and happy after it all... can even tell people what had been good afterwards, though it's still quite a heady experience after five days of barely enough sleep.

I know it's not the full on 'sober glasto' thing but just saying i've found there are many good middle grounds where it almost works better than the "go large" obvious plan

• 3 months later...
On 3/9/2019 at 8:26 AM, caballosblancos said:

My first one was the most sober. Partly because I was working and partly because security stole my drugs off me on the way in. Don’t make those mistakes anymore. ?‍♂️

Under what circumstances did they find your shit? If you don't mind the asking 

29 minutes ago, gratefulbread said:

Under what circumstances did they find your shit? If you don't mind the asking 

In the circumstances that I thought Glasto didn’t care about that kind of thing so I didn’t hide it very well... Wasn’t helped that I accidentally had a pen knife in my bag which made them search harder. 

I've never drank or taken drugs of any kind. I grew up in a family full of addiction problems and saw the negative side. I figure if you have the genes the only ones you have the power over are the first ones so I just chose never to partake. It's a bit of a heavy conversation to share with people you don't know well so I generally just go with I don't like the taste which is also true but I don't think anyone likes the taste on first sip. 

@ian the worm is right in that some people do give you a lot of shit for not drinking and I have worked with people who didn't like me on work nights out because I'd remember everything. I find it odd because I enjoy myself hugely without alcohol. I still do sing alongs and karaoke and silly dancing. I can't blame anything on drunkenness afterwards either and I'm very non-judgemental. I have no problem with other people drinking it was just a choice I made for me. 

Along with being broke it is probably one of the reasons I left going to Glastonbury until quite late in life as all you ever hear is about the drink and drugs I did worry a little that it would be like Manchester on a Friday night 24/7 and it did put me off a little but actually I think the freedom to drink everywhere makes most people pace themselves better and so you generally get less of the obnoxious drunks and more of the happy, good humoured ones. 

• Upvote 1

On 3/9/2019 at 3:39 AM, CaledonianGonzo said:

I've got amitriptyline for insomnia and it definitely helps with the Sunday fear.  You're not meant to mix it with alcohol, but it doesn't seem to do any harm (so far).

Though it'll be doing well to combat the after effects of 5 days of scrumpy for breakfast.

On 3/9/2019 at 4:56 AM, Mardy said:

I’m on the amitriptylinr too for sleeping. But I’ve never mixed it with booze. Always been worried. You reckon it’s alright, though?

While a different type of an antidepressant, but I'm taking 300mg of Wellbutrin (buproprion) to help me deal with not smoking and it looks like I'll have to take it easy this year. It acts as a very mild stimulant, not enough to get super euphoric but enough to mask how truly drunk you are, it's toxic to the liver and it also lowers your seizure threshold, not good when combined with alcohol withdrawal.

Edited by herzzreh

Whilst at a festival such as Bloodstock you may well find me passed out in a ditch somewhere, I have so far managed to survive  Glastonbury relatively healthy. I cannot imagine anything worse than not remembering the festival. I have never felt the urge to really get on it at all.

Famous last words I know, but I have never been wrecked at Glastonbury. I just pace it throughout the day, make sure there is plenty of dancing time factored in (always a good way to avoid having a drink in your hand).

Each to their own and all that, we all have different ways to enjoy ourselves and take pleasure in different experiences, but for those doing it sober have a great time, you'll remember every minute!

• 7 months later...

Who's doing it sober again?

I haven't had a serious drink since late November after going through a 7 day withdrawal from hell that involved things running across the walls and non-existent children singing. Unfortunately I've drank and withdrew enough times to induce serious kindling and drinking any more isn't an option for me (three beers gave me shaky hands for a day, bad anxiety for two days, insomnia and night sweats). I'll have to give this one a sober go.

11 minutes ago, herzzreh said:

Who's doing it sober again?

I haven't had a serious drink since late November after going through a 7 day withdrawal from hell that involved things running across the walls and non-existent children singing. Unfortunately I've drank and withdrew enough times to induce serious kindling and drinking any more isn't an option for me (three beers gave me shaky hands for a day, bad anxiety for two days, insomnia and night sweats). I'll have to give this one a sober go.

Holy shit! Reading this is almost enough to make me not ever want to drink again!