Sober times

morph100

What has been your most sober Glastonbury and what were the positives you got from it?

i used to go and get mangled on all manner of things all night back in early 2000’s

then shifted to just drinking all day and some of the night.

but last year with Mrs Morph pregnant I stayed tipsy rather than smashed it was great being able to remember everything. Also stayed completely sober Sunday to drive home at night which was a bit boring ?

I often finish my exertions early morning after the Saturday night and have a sober Sunday for a number of reasons:

1. If I need to drive away early on the Monday.

2. After caning it for 4 days straight I'm pretty much done by that point.

3. Eases the Glasto Blues for the following week.

4. Allows me to take just the Monday off work.

Of course this plan sometimes goes straight out of the window like in 2017 when the festival closed with Justice on WH and Grooverider & Fabio on Arcadia.

Full respect for anyone who stays sober for the whole weekend, it can't be easy being surrounded by 150,000 smashed revellers. 

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Got robbed at my first one and had a tenner to do the weekend.  Invested it all in scrumpy for a large one on the Saturday but otherwise stayed on the straight and narrow.

Jeeze that's grim. Dunno how the folk that do this can live within themselves, such shithousery behaviour. 

It'll be my first one fully sober this year. I'm still really looking forward to it and have no regrets about my decision to stop drinking. 

Not that my alcohol consumption had become problematic as such, it was the post session anxiety that did it for me. Same reason I quit smoking weed 10 years ago. 

I enjoy things more when anxiety isn't something I have to contend with. 

Guess I'm just getting old n soft. 

Edited by Trout Mask Replica

7 minutes ago, Trout Mask Replica said:

It'll be my first one fully sober this year. I'm still really looking forward to it and have no regrets about my decision to stop drinking. 

Not that my alcohol consumption had become problematic as such, it was the post session anxiety that did it for me. Same reason I quit smoking weed 10 years ago. 

I enjoy things more when anxiety isn't something I have to contend with. 

Guess I'm just getting old n soft. 

Existential crisis hangovers are the worst thing about getting old. I used to quite enjoy a hangover, eating bacon all day watching telly feeling a bit rough. 

• Upvote 1

I would definitely not go as far as to call it sober (by any stretch of the imagination), but I think I did a reasonably good job of pacing myself in 2017. I still had a blinder of a time, but by the time I woke up on Tuesday morning in Sheffield I felt deliriously happy about the wonders of all I'd experienced, rather than being confined to my bed for two more days suffering the physical/mental affects of a savage, anxiety-ridden, vomit-inducing three day hangover. Even though I definitely could have got more ruined during the festival (and certainly had an urge to a couple of times) in hindsight, it was beautiful ?

At Boomtown last year a similar thing happened due to having to do three Oxfam shifts. While I hated those shifts with a passion and wouldn't do it again, it also forced me to pace yourself, and by Tuesday I felt marvellous

Shambala two weeks later was an absolute different kettle of fish, thus proving the other two experience have nothing to do with me being older and wiser....

Ideally, I want to recreate the perfect pacing of Glasto 2017....particularly as I think I'll need to go to work come Tuesday!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

My own fault, really.  (Relatively) young and stupid so stashed my funds and supplies at the bottom of the rucksack in my tent.

Really wasn’t your fault dude. The scum who robbed you are entirely to blame! 

Props for using your last tenner wisely though! 

Edited by nikkic

After 5 heavy drink and drug fueled Glasto's, I am about to do this one sober.

My heavily pregnant mrs will be at home (with her parents and sister, I'm not that mean) and the due date is 4th July, so I'm on alert ready to drive home/hospital if there are any problems. Trusty old Nokia in my pocket at all times - if that rings I make my way to the car. Backpack with essentials at all times so I don't need to go to my tent if I get the call (brother will bring it back for me!).

I absolutely love a drink, and I'm still making infusions for our group and I can have one or two a day, but I'm actually looking forward to being sober for the week and not breaking my back taking gallons in my bag. 

1 minute ago, Stokesy10 said:

After 5 heavy drink and drug fueled Glasto's, I am about to do this one sober.

My heavily pregnant mrs will be at home (with her parents and sister, I'm not that mean) and the due date is 4th July, so I'm on alert ready to drive home/hospital if there are any problems. Trusty old Nokia in my pocket at all times - if that rings I make my way to the car. Backpack with essentials at all times so I don't need to go to my tent if I get the call (brother will bring it back for me!).

I absolutely love a drink, and I'm still making infusions for our group and I can have one or two a day, but I'm actually looking forward to being sober for the week and not breaking my back taking gallons in my bag. 

Yes that’s another bonus when my Mrs was pregnant I only took a few cans out with me rather than loads plus wine and spirits, much easier.

• Like 1

Just now, morph100 said:

Yes that’s another bonus when my Mrs was pregnant I only took a few cans out with me rather than loads plus wine and spirits, much easier.

Too right. I have an obsession with squash too, so I'm taking the finest ones I can find with me! That's my drug of choice this year haha. I'll have a little smoke here and there also, and maybe (definitely) some DMT :D

My first 4 festivals I was in my 20s. Would basically crack a can open not long after waking up and start with other stuff not too long after that.

Probably only ate once or twice max per day. Certainly not enough food to sustain all the walking and dancing.

I’d struggle after the first few days and by Sunday I was dead on my feet. 

The last 2 I’ve been to (2015 and 2017) I set myself a rule of no booze until I’d eaten 2-3 proper meals and drank a load of water.

Would normally have my first beer at 3/4pm each day. 

I was subsequently able to party much later, walk further and generally had loads more energy. 

On both occasions I could have done an extra day. 

So whilst I wasn’t sober, I definitely felt much better for being a little bit smarter!!

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I've got amitriptyline for insomnia and it definitely helps with the Sunday fear.  You're not meant to mix it with alcohol, but it doesn't seem to do any harm (so far).

Though it'll be doing well to combat the after effects of 5 days of scrumpy for breakfast.

I’m on the amitriptylinr too for sleeping. But I’ve never mixed it with booze. Always been worried. You reckon it’s alright, though?

1 minute ago, Mardy said:

I’m on the amitriptylinr too for sleeping. But I’ve never mixed it with booze. Always been worried. You reckon it’s alright, though?

Well, there may be some side effects that have yet to manifest but at the time it seems fine.  I am on a very mild dose though, so maybe don't have anything important planned for right after the first time you try it.

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Well, there may be some side effects that have yet to manifest but at the time it seems fine.  I am on a very mild dose though, so maybe don't have anything important planned for right after the first time you try it.

I’m on 10mg pills and I usually only take 1, occasionally 2. It’s not a problem really, cos I very rarely drink, and only take the pills once or twice a week, but I was pondering about Glastonbury. A good nights sleep could be a revelation.

Today is day 1256 sober from alcohol and I’ve never done other drugs.  This will be my 3rd sober Glastonbury.  The past two sober ones were much better than the previous 7 pissed up ones. 

If anyone is thinking of giving up or cutting down and are worrying about how to cope, just give it a go. There are many many people like me there who are unable to moderate so cutting it completely is the ONLY option. 

I now positivity glow with pride at how I’ve turned my life around without alcohol.

Bizarrely, I still serve alcohol to others and I’m no way against others using it. Trust me, I know how nice it is. It takes a good drunk to make a good drunk happy. So I’m all for others carrying on if they are happy with themselves, but if you are not happy and want to reduce your intake, it’s OK, try it. 

On a side note, at a works party, my colleague was really pissed off with me at only drinking water when she got a round in. I don’t think she could cope with people not getting pissed as she was.  This is echoed by lots of people who feel the need to tell me (and even defend) their drinking habbits when they hear about mine. Anyway, she gave me the cold shoulder all night until her lift home gave up on her and she was desperate to get home and asked me for a lift home.  Then she appreciated me. 

The best friends I now have, understand that I’ve changed and are simply able to adjust for me. IE the round is now 5 tequilas and a bottle of water without even asking me. They are the best friends to have.

xx

Edited by ian the worm
  • Upvote 10

Less to pack and cheaper! All my glastonburys have been alcohol free due!

Its still my favourite place in the world, the atmosphere the people you meet and you remember it all! 

All my friends drimk and so do people around me! It doesnt bother me tht they do and they just automatically get me water! 

Glastonbury is incerdible for so many resons why wud you want to miss a moment everybody should enjoy it in their own way! 

30 minutes ago, ian the worm said:

On a side note, at a works party, my colleague was really pissed off with me at only drinking water when she got a round in. I don’t think she could cope with people not getting pissed as she was.  This is echoed by lots of people who feel the need to tell me (and even defend) their drinking habbits when they hear about mine

I stopped drinking in 2007 (I think. Maybe 2008 I very deliberately didn't make a big deal of it, I just had a drink, and then didn't have another) for very similar reasons to you. I definitely experienced this kind of behaviour back then but don't seem to at all these days. It's less unusual to not drink now. Saying that, I still find it weird when people tell me they've never drank (if not for religious/cultural reasons). 

A sober Glastonbury is still Glastonbury. It's still great. I volunteer  and the people I go with do drink but not to massive excess (unlike me when I still drank. No off switch) which helps but after all this time the idea of being drunk just seems weird and doesn't appeal at all