Big Dance Headliners, what are the chances?

bombfrog

Over the years at Glastonbury there's nothing I've enjoyed more than the big electronic headliners. From Orbital 2004 on the Other stage, Basement Jaxx, Fatboy, to the Chemical Brothers twice, Chase and Status and Disclosure on West Holts (which has an excellent sound system for it). There's something about the sun going down and the lasers going on that really makes it for me and the terrible design of the dance village, especially the Sonic stage just doesn't cut it.

Which is why I was chuffed to see both Orbital and Chems on the serious rumour list. Seems a bit too good to be true though, doesn't it? especially as we now know that the prodigy were booked to play. They wouldn't have booked prodigy, Orbital and the Chemical Brothers same year would they?

I'd love to see Orbital headline again as this year may possibly be my last, but what are the chances? If not them then who else is in the running?

Edited by bombfrog
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Over the years at Glastonbury there's nothing I've enjoyed more than the big electronic headliners. From Orbital 2004 on the Other stage, Basement Jaxx, Fatboy, to the Chemical Brothers twice, Chase and Status and Disclosure on West Holts (which has an excellent sound system for it). There's something about the sun going down and the lasers going on that really makes it for me and the terrible design of the dance village, especially the Sonic stage just doesn't cut it.

Which is why I was chuffed to see both Orbital and Chems on the serious rumour list. Seems a bit too good to be true though, doesn't it? especially as we now know that the prodigy were booked to play. They wouldn't have booked prodigy, Orbital and the Chemical Brothers same year would they?

I'd love to see Orbital headline again as this year may possibly be my last, but what are the chances? If not them then who else is in the running? 

Hot Chip will also be headlining a stage according to the rumours.
Fatboy Slim seems to play every year so he's always an option.
Jon Hopkins also a possibility rumourwise if you're into his stuff.
Underworld are playing Down the Rabbit hole the following weekend, idk if they're exclusive or not.

Pendulum could play after their comeback gig at R&L - one of the best performances I've ever seen. HOWEVER - they'd need to be on after the sun goes down, either late evening on Pyramid or headlining Other. Their 2011 performance was plagued with issues due to performing in daylight and a lot of Beyonce fans mixed in. I heard somewhere that the performance contributed to their hiatus, so depends if they're on good terms.

Deadmau5 is a possibility, although could be too soon. He's been showing off the CubeV3 a lot.

17 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

I recall someone saying something about Orbital headlining John Peel this year

If they're going to be demoted from other stage headliner then I'd rather see top spot on JP than pre-darkness on other stage. They have to be last act of the night.

30 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Doesn't matter. They all sound the same anyway.

Where's that old man yelling at cloud pic when you need it....

But back to @bombfrog's question, dunno.  I'm massively hopeful for Orbital, especially on the basis of last year's album.  Selfishly I'd love to have them in the Glade, just because I love that stage, but don't know if that'd be big enough.

@deadpheasant isn't far off.  You're never more than 10ft away from Fatboy Slim at Glastonbury.

Realistically I reckon you'll look at one or two big(ish) name acts on the main stages, but more likely to see the rest either in Silver Hayes (shudder) or late at night somewhere in SE corner. Personally I've got fingers crossed for Kolsch to make an appearance...

7 minutes ago, Woffy said:

I thoroughly enjoyed that Orbital final ever Glastonbury appearance in 2004.

Let's have them back at the farm again please.

It was amazing, but I missed their final-final performance in 2010. A final-final-final performance in 2019 would be the icing on the cake of my Glasto experiences over the year.

I'd happily take either one of them or The Chemical Brothers, or even Deadmau5, obviously Daft Punk would be the dream but I've accepted now that I'll probably never see them at Glastonbury.

3 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

It was amazing, but I missed their final-final performance in 2010. A final-final-final performance in 2019 would be the icing on the cake of my Glasto experiences over the year.

I'd happily take either one of them or The Chemical Brothers, or even Deadmau5, obviously Daft Punk would be the dream but I've accepted now that I'll probably never see them at Glastonbury.

A final final final Orbital appearance would be grand indeed.

They're the pick of the others you mention, other than Daft Punk...but nothing will beat them at Wireless 2007, so i'm happy to leave them right there.

Although I find it unlikely, I’d really like to see Deadmau5 having avoided a few of his gigs over the years on account of how young the crowd tended to be for him (in Ireland). A festival would be perfect for older me!

If the Prodigy, Orbital & The Chemical Brothers were to play, it would have been a nice chunk of my youth. Poor Keith, here’s hoping the latter play with awesome tributes!

Not a headliner by any stretch but a Digitalism DJ set somewhere would be awesome - they supported Daft Punk years back and absolutely rocked it.

Jon Hopkins would be pretty awesome too.

14 hours ago, discgoesmic said:

Pendulum could play after their comeback gig at R&L - one of the best performances I've ever seen. HOWEVER - they'd need to be on after the sun goes down, either late evening on Pyramid or headlining Other. Their 2011 performance was plagued with issues due to performing in daylight and a lot of Beyonce fans mixed in. I heard somewhere that the performance contributed to their hiatus, so depends if they're on good terms.

Deadmau5 is a possibility, although could be too soon. He's been showing off the CubeV3 a lot.

Although I'm not the biggest Pendulum fan (however "Tarantula" is ?), I think they would be a good shout to play in the slot that the Prodigy have sadly had to vacate. Their remix of Voodoo People is legendary and may also offer the opportunity for a small tribute. 

14 hours ago, bombfrog said:

You'd think, but the JP never seems to be loud enough and would be hopelessly rammed.

Didn’t they headline west holts/jazz world years ago? Or maybe I was spangled at the other stage and confused? Year was 2000 I think

This is basically what i’ll Be scanning the poster for, half or more of the below and i’ll be happy.

If Chems weren’t booked before with the Prodigy surely they are the obvious replacement.

Orbital on JP, West Holts or Park would be great, if they play it must be after dark. Add in Hot Chip on one of those or subbing Other and Foals who have their dancey moments too.

I’ve been waiting for Eric Prydz to play a festival outside of creamfields or SW4 for years, any chance? Similiarly hope to catch Digitalism at some stage... 

1 minute ago, DJL said:

I’ve been waiting for Eric Prydz to play a festival outside of creamfields or SW4 for years, any chance?

I've been vocal on this one since he last played in 09. I say let's stick him on the Glade and bring the Holo or EPiC visuals.

Was even hoping for an Adam Beyer Cirez D appearance but the former is at Awakenings on the Saturday and Sunday. Prydz is in Sweden on the Friday so there's a chance. Ten years is too long...