The smaller stages (Fri-Sun)

deadpheasant

15 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

A general clash-breaking rule I have is that if there are 2 acts you can't decide between, go for the one on the smaller stage. You'll generally find a more selective and appreciative audience, and it helps you spend time in different areas. As we all know, variety is the spice of life.

Top advice, this.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, found home in 2009 said:

Crow's nest is one stage I've never been to and quite like the idea of seeing a band there. That might be my Glastonbury 2019 mission

Some great secret sets up at The Crows Nest. Always a bugger to get up to no matter what the weather.

The Connan Mockasin set a few years back was brilliant. 

The other thing I particularly like about the Crows Nest is bands seem to play there because they want to, and have to put that extra bit of effort to get up there and set up in such a confined space. As do the punters. Everones there because they want to be there. See Stornoway lugging their kit up the hill to get to it, that's commitment for you.. love it

Earache express last year was AMAZING. It only held approx 70-odd and the bands were pretty niche, but Ho99o9 were absolutely batshit brilliant on the Thursday and I even ended up having a beer with Skip from the Dead Kennedys after they played the Truth stage on the Saturday! 

I hope they’ll be enlarging it a bit this year, a little home for heavier stuff is absolutely appreciated here ??

Edited by balti-pie

I could probably spend the whole festival at the Glade, but a shout out to the marvellous Mandala Stage and all who sail in her. There is rarely more people watching then playing, but they really are the nicest people running it you would hope to come across. 

That said, a few years ago I realised I was becoming a bit of an anti-Pyramid snob so last time made a point of going to see a few things on there - most notably Barry Gibb - and had a great time. Blimey, I thought, having spent years jigging to nose flute music in the Greenfields, there's a reason they put these people on a big stage.

Variety, as someone above said, really is the key. In all the year's I've been going, I still haven't done Ancient Futures, Greenpeace boiler room or the Crow's nest and I'm determined to give them a whirl this year whatever's on

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

18 hours ago, carlosj said:

You've reminded me of my favourite small stage. It is great, they post the acts each morning, requiring a walk up there or to check via a secretglasto tweet.

SecretGlasto just transcribe the Crow's Nest tweet of that day's blackboard.  

Edit: What I mean is, if you're using your smartphone anyway, then you can do a lot worse than following the Crow's Nest directly and looking at their tweets.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

10 hours ago, caballosblancos said:

Yeah they’re not quite as rowdy anymore, but still a good watch. They played in Avalon in 2016 I think... 

Still great fun though so fingers crossed for 2019. Still playing dates so I recall when speaking to them once its normally year on year off at Glastonbury. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

It’s a brilliant little venue, Fuzz, and highly recommended. This Is The Kit were wonderful in there a few years ago. 

Ben

It is a definite for 2019. Ill be honest, the walk up the hill has always been the thing that has put me off... but it is happening this year.

Does it run until the early hours or end at midnight ish?

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

.Does it run until the early hours or end at midnight ish?

Last act is normally 1.30 so it goes until at least 2, possibly 3?

Someone posted on here one year about seeing the members of hot chip carrying their gear up there (at a time they were there with solo projects). I never did find out if that actually happened

Edited by DJL

I do spend a lot of time at smaller stages, particularly the Avalon, Bimble Inn, Small World and other places in the Greenfields. It is mainly a daytime (and late night) thing though - I think the smallest stage I've seen headliners at is the Avalon once or twice. In general, I can't imagine the type of acts you find on those stages winning out over everything else on offer at headliner time, but if you did go at that time I'm sure it would be an amazing atmosphere.

11 minutes ago, DJL said:

Someone posted on here one year about seeing the members of hot chip carrying their gear up there (at a time they were there with solo projects). I never did find out if that actually happened

I didn't post it, but it did happen (2014). Ended up sat in front of Alexis doing his solo set whilst Joe was sat backstage/behind the tent tapping his toe and drinking tea. 

Crows Nest is brilliant 

Edited by hurdy
Date added
  • Upvote 1

In recent years I’ve tended to prefer the smaller stages, I’ve seen most of the big acts I would want to see anyway, so opt for the less crowded, more chilled out spaces.

Green Futures: Small World or Mandela - I love catching something unexpected there and make sure I always go, a highlight the Tibetan Monk throat singers a few years back, and on repeat Rodney Branigan 

Greenpeace Stage: Something like the New York Brass Band, just for the fun of it all

Croissant Neuf: Super tent, always at least one act I see every year

Strummerville: Some of my best memories, like chatting to Mick Jones of The Clash there, and even seeing the dreaded Mumford & Sons secret gig was a true highlight

The Avalon: Found a new band I love every year without fail. First year I went it was Oi Va Voi (With KT Tunstall). Hugely impressed with heritage acts I’d never think to normally go see, like Lulu, and The Zombies

Gully: Some exciting world music, such as Alsarah & The Nubatones last time, and just for something completely different.

The list is endless....

8 hours ago, DJL said:

Last act is normally 1.30 so it goes until at least 2, possibly 3?

I think Al Doyle helps run the place. I've certainly seen him helping a few of the acts set up.

On 8 March 2019 at 3:26 PM, Barneym said:

Stornoway in the accosting tent with the least acoustic performance I’ve ever seen - no idea what year but it was raining, I’m guessing 15

a bar of unknown name somewhere near the West Holts I think in 14- on a massive come down, left my gf and her mates during what I think was Lana del Rey on the pyramid which I was finding very dull. Went to meet my mates who had stopped for a quick beer, we all got back to normality nursing a cold cider and then a northern soul DJ came on. Two hours later the whole tent was a massive dance floor and everybody was having the best time. That is one of my all time favourite Glasto memories 

Bar near West Holts - fab story, thanks for sharing. A great example of why Glasonbury is so amazing -  doing something you hadn't planned to do results in good times and wonderful memories.

I loved Stornoway, although never saw them at Glasonbury. My memories on FB informed me yesterday was two years since I saw them on their final tour :(