The smaller stages (Fri-Sun)

deadpheasant

Is there anyone who veers away from the main 5 stages (ie not Pyramid, Other, WH, JP, Park) in favour of the smaller stages during the day and also around the time the headliners play?

Last couple times I've been I just stick almost religiously to the main stages (with the occasional Leftfield/Silver Hayes act), thinking more about the bands rather than what else the festival has to offer.

I'm just intrigued to hear some of the experiences of getting away from all that and whether you enjoyed it more than seeing a main stage act perform.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, faymondo said:

Would like to see The Destroyers and Smoove & Turrell to turn up on one of the smaller stages. Both have played Glastonbury before so fingers crossed. 

ive enjoyed the destroyers at Glastonbury  but they do need a larger stage unfortunately (to fit them all on :) ) 

We tend to spend a fair amount of time over in the Cabaret tent or around Avalon for the vibes. Spike is good as well for music and a bit of a retreat. Mostly steer clear of the Pyramid to be honest although can be nice during the day to have a sit down in the sunshine and catch an act you like. 

I tend to mosy mostly. Always get home from Glastonbury wondering what the fuck did I see cos the list of bands is rather short for 5 days. Ben would be ashamed of me. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, fred quimby said:

In reply to the OP

Yes I  wonder around to various stages that are not the Main ones and have just as much fun there. In fact at times a better experience. Take it all in I say, you are missing out on a wonderful festival experience.

I have of course wandered about and physically seen all of the site but usually it's rather aimless rather than actually spending any quality time there. Interested to hear experiences from those who choose to vie away from the main stages even when the headliners are playing.

I generally go where the bands I want to see are. That's mainly been the larger stages, but have been to William's Green quite a few times, which has always felt overcrowded for acts I like.

Went to Avalon to see the Zombies, the audience we're really quiet and still, but in a good way, felt like it was respectful reverance. That's one of my favourite glasto memories, coming from a packed John Peel tent for Years and Years (where everyone was half my age) to Avalon to see the Zombies (where everyone was double my age). Both brilliant but completely different experiences which sums up what's great about glasto for me.

Also have very happy memories seeing Gaz Brookfield on the band stand, Idiotape in La Pussy Parlure, Frank Turner in Left Field and Ainsley Lister in the now defunct blues tent. Ainsley Lister's guitar playing blew me away. Was absolutely outstanding

Went to acoustic to see Art Garfunkel, and got the impression there was a chunk of the audience who spent their whole festival there and resented outsiders coming into their tent. 

Edited by found home in 2009
  • Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, deadpheasant said:

Is there anyone who veers away from the main 5 stages (ie not Pyramid, Other, WH, JP, Park) in favour of the smaller stages during the day and also around the time the headliners play?

Last couple times I've been I just stick almost religiously to the main stages (with the occasional Leftfield/Silver Hayes act), thinking more about the bands rather than what else the festival has to offer.

I'm just intrigued to hear some of the experiences of getting away from all that and whether you enjoyed it more than seeing a main stage act perform.

Thanks

I have not been to the pyramid or other stage for quite a few years, the biggest I have been to is West Holts.

1. i just don;t like most of the popular music these days

2. I  loves my dj's

3. i tend to have a better time at smaller places

16 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

Went to acoustic to see Art Garfunkel, and got the impression there was a chunk of the audience who spent their whole festival there and resented outsiders coming into their tent. 

I was there for Art. There's so much grey hair on show at The Acoustic, it really feels like that crowd just congregate there the whole time! In reality tho they're probably just more thinly spread around other parts of the festival that it isn't as noticeable.

Always try and catch at least one decent gig at the crows nest, tho that takes a bit of planning (or fortuitously being that end of the site at the right time), but otherwise I just bumble about with no clearly defined plan. Some of my fave memories are stumbling across stuff in Green Fields or bandstand / croissant neuf and sticking about til the end of that.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, H.M.V said:

Ben would be ashamed of me. 

I think Ben operates outside of our reality and has multiple entities. Has anyone seen Dr Ben and Dr Manhattan in the same room ever? Nuff said.

For me, venues towards the dance area were good, saw Baloji headline but I forget where exactly.

6 minutes ago, ogriff said:

Always try and catch at least one decent gig at the crows nest, tho that takes a bit of planning (or fortuitously being that end of the site at the right time), but otherwise I just bumble about with no clearly defined plan. Some of my fave memories are stumbling across stuff in Green Fields or bandstand / croissant neuf and sticking about til the end of that.

Crow's nest is one stage I've never been to and quite like the idea of seeing a band there. That might be my Glastonbury 2019 mission

My three favourite non main stage experiences

Feightened Rabbits second set at Williams Green in the evening on one of the days in 16- everyone including the band were smashed and Scott spent a good 5 minutes just swearing and finding it very funny

Stornoway in the accosting tent with the least acoustic performance I’ve ever seen - no idea what year but it was raining, I’m guessing 15

a bar of unknown name somewhere near the West Holts I think in 14- on a massive come down, left my gf and her mates during what I think was Lana del Rey on the pyramid which I was finding very dull. Went to meet my mates who had stopped for a quick beer, we all got back to normality nursing a cold cider and then a northern soul DJ came on. Two hours later the whole tent was a massive dance floor and everybody was having the best time. That is one of my all time favourite Glasto memories 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, found home in 2009 said:

Crow's nest is one stage I've never been to and quite like the idea of seeing a band there. That might be my Glastonbury 2019 mission

You've reminded me of my favourite small stage. It is great, they post the acts each morning, requiring a walk up there or to check via a secretglasto tweet.

Love the smaller stages, especially Williams Green, Crows Nest and the Bimble Inn - much more chilled out vibe and you get much closer to the bands. Must admit I love sitting outside or inside the smaller venues watching the world go by listening to a live band. Especially outside the Crows Nest watching the wonderful vista ahead of me

You can have a great festival flitting between, Avalon, The Glade, West Holts, and The Park. Saw Tom Robinson and Steve Knightley at Croissent Neuf in 17 and it was one of the highlights of my festival.

I guess you are looking for familiarity on the Pyramid, Other and JP so you tend to get more emotionally invested pre-festival in those stages whereas you always tend to get pleasantly surprised at the others.

Never watched a set at The Crows Nest so may add that to my to-do list for this year.

8 minutes ago, carlosj said:

You've reminded me of my favourite small stage. It is great, they post the acts each morning, requiring a walk up there or to check via a secretglasto tweet.

Saw She Drew The Gun up there on Thursday last time.  Very good 

Just now, sisco said:

Saw She Drew The Gun up there on Thursday last time.  Very good 

It was an excellent start to my festival. I forget another band, but they got a kid from the audience to play lead guitar for their last number, that was good. And the cakes.

I really like the Ancient Futures stage, a tent on the right walking up towards Pennard Gate and Strummerville. Usually call in after midnight. Have walked into an unannounced intimate gig with Rodrigo y Gabriela (amazing - they were on the Pyramid that afternoon), also Rodney Brannigan and Mad Dog McCrea. Worth calling in to Crows Nest (the trek up the hill is deffo worth it), Croissant Neuf and Bimble Inn too. Wander round, let 'the random' take hold and you won't be sorry.

Some great shouts here! 

Croissant Neuf is my favourite place to be on Thurs eve, usually a great atmosphere up there.

Seen some great gigs over the years up at the Crows Nest, usually by chance with one exception when I trekked up there early to get a good spot for Gruff Rhys

and for the end of the night I always try to stop by the Bimble Inn for a final drink and stomp to whatever band are playing at that time ?