Glastonbury or Bestmates Wedding

ITK19889

Sorry bit of a random question I know but would like to hear your honest thoughts on this subject.

This is the dilemma I’m facing in 2020 I’ve been going Glastonbury for the last 4 festivals and feel in love with the place the people & the Farm. I just don’t think I can not try and get tickets for next years 50th anniversary or any year for that matter...

Where would you stand on this please people ?

& no go to your mates wedding one less person trying etc...haha

cheers

Really what you need to be doing is convincing your best mate's fiancee that holding a wedding between the 26th and 30th of June is a bad omen, that there's countless old wives tales spelling out tales of doom and terrible luck.

Isn't there a rhyme about that?  "Something borrowed, something blue, never get married in late June?"

In all seriousness though, I'm going to echo Gnomicide and danmarks.  If it's your best mate, your hands are tied and you've got to go.

• Like 1

Cheers guys appreciate all your feed back there is more to the story...

It’s also My Finaces 30th Birthday she never asks for much in life but she’s always wanted to attended the festival on her 30th which happens to be the 50th anniversary.... We spoke to them before they booked there wedding about our plans and I’d never expect them to change there dates for us and those were the only dates available at this venue so here we are. 

My gut is telling me to stick with our plans and try and get tickets.....

13 hours ago, ITK19889 said:

Sorry bit of a random question I know but would like to hear your honest thoughts on this subject.

This is the dilemma I’m facing in 2020 I’ve been going Glastonbury for the last 4 festivals and feel in love with the place the people & the Farm. I just don’t think I can not try and get tickets for next years 50th anniversary or any year for that matter...

Where would you stand on this please people ?

& no go to your mates wedding one less person trying etc...haha

cheers

Are you best man or chief bridesmaid?

If you are then you're going to have to go to the wedding.

If not then I don't think they think as highly of you as you of them and it has to be Glastonbury

just saying

Just now, not worthy said:

Are you best man or chief bridesmaid?

If you are then you're going to have to go to the wedding.

If not then I don't think they think as highly of you as you of them and it has to be Glastonbury

just saying

I think there was two of us for bestman although I’ve never been asked due to my Glastonbury commitments....

My above comment may explain a little better 

Just now, ITK19889 said:

I think there was two of us for bestman although I’ve never been asked due to my Glastonbury commitments....

My above comment may explain a little better 

Just seen the other note....

Cast iron easiest decision ever in that case, go to Glastonbury, make a huge banner congratulating the married couple and get a pic of you two with it and as many other randoms you can get to join in, in front of the Pyramid. Send them the pic on the Wedding day and they'll be over the moon as will you two

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, not worthy said:

Cast iron easiest decision ever in that case, go to Glastonbury, make a huge banner congratulating the married couple and get a pic of you two with it and as many other randoms you can get to join in, in front of the Pyramid. Send them the pic on the Wedding day and they'll be over the moon as will you two

THIS

If they’d asked you for this years after you got a ticket then it’s fair enough to say you can’t go. 

But over a years notice, when you don’t have a ticket, and have a good chance of not being able to get one at all, bit of a lousy friend. Depends how close you are I guess, but there will be more glastonbury in years to come but your mate will only be getting married once (in theory).

1 hour ago, ITK19889 said:

It’s also My Finaces 30th Birthday she never asks for much in life but she’s always wanted to attended the festival on her 30th which happens to be the 50th anniversary....

A happy wife means a happy life. Try for Glasto tickets, it sounds like your mate is quite understanding so go for it.

Really it's his own fault for having the wedding on those hallowed dates.

Lordy, that really is a pickle that you are in. That said, if I were in the same position, I'd really have to opt to go with being best man to my mate. There will be other Glastonbury's, but, hopefully, your mate is only going to get married once. Personally, I really value all my mates. They're not like family, in that they choose you to be friends with. That, to me, is a privilege. 

• Upvote 1

I love this festival.  I haven't missed one since I first went.

But I wouldn't miss my best mates wedding for it, under any circumstances.

That said, he wouldn't book his wedding on Glastonbury week either!

1 hour ago, stu_kent said:

I love this festival.  I haven't missed one since I first went.

But I wouldn't miss my best mates wedding for it, under any circumstances.

That said, he wouldn't book his wedding on Glastonbury week either!

Depends like. I'm not really into the idea of getting married. But if I was getting married I don't think I'd really give a fuck if one of my mates wasn't there cos he wanted to go to Glastonbury. Weddings are largely shite after all and Glasto.... Well.... Isn't? 

Depends on the person I suppose. Just don't understand getting all precious about an event you have organised clearly being way shitter than Glastonbury. Seems a very girly thing to do. A bit like wanting to get married. 

Awaits backlash from women. 

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Where is it likely to be?

Would it be possible to do the fest Weds to Friday then duck out on the Saturday for the wedding?

This could be a option but in reality don’t think it will happen in all honesty once your on the other side it’ll be hard to leave...

Thanks for your feed back I knew it would be split although not sure everyone has seen all my posts on the matter appreciate everyone’s comments...

This place means massive amounts to me & her and our plans were made long before the wedding or even the engagement, My Fiance has sticked by me through very low times in 2017-18 and I can’t wait to give her the 30th she deserves gonna put us first for a change & click that refresh button in October

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gherkin8r said:

Depends like. I'm not really into the idea of getting married. But if I was getting married I don't think I'd really give a fuck if one of my mates wasn't there cos he wanted to go to Glastonbury. Weddings are largely shite after all and Glasto.... Well.... Isn't? 

Depends on the person I suppose. Just don't understand getting all precious about an event you have organised clearly being way shitter than Glastonbury. Seems a very girly thing to do. A bit like wanting to get married. 

Awaits backlash from women. 

I never thought I'd get married either. I had your perspective all my life - well, all up to the point where I got married aged 48. Meeting my wife was a game changer - gone was the decades of feeling lost and drifting, and everything finally clicked in to place, harmoniously.

As to weddings being shite, I have to disagree. I've been to many a great wedding, with my own topping the lot. That said, I guess the boring staid ones where the couple have gone for totally traditional can be dull. To me, it's up to the prospective bride and groom to pull various things out of the bag. We were going to have the following at our wedding;

(1) I would wear the veil, and my wife would lift it in order to give me the first kiss as man and wife.

(2) We were going to have an iced tiered cake that only had Smarties within it. The plan was for us to cut the cake together with a chain saw, sending Smarties everywhere.

Actually, I'll not go on, but you get the picture. The only reason why we didn't go for it was because both of my (Puritanical) elderly parents would have had a stroke each. No way was the premature death of my parents going to ruin our wedding day, so we compromised - a bit.

Anyway, it looks like the bloke has made his mind up now, in any case. 

8 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I never thought I'd get married either. I had your perspective all my life - well, all up to the point where I got married aged 48. Meeting my wife was a game changer - gone was the decades of feeling lost and drifting, and everything finally clicked in to place, harmoniously.

As to weddings being shite, I have to disagree. I've been to many a great wedding, with my own topping the lot. That said, I guess the boring staid ones where the couple have gone for totally traditional can be dull. To me, it's up to the prospective bride and groom to pull various things out of the bag. We were going to have the following at our wedding;

(1) I would wear the veil, and my wife would lift it in order to give me the first kiss as man and wife.

(2) We were going to have an iced tiered cake that only had Smarties within it. The plan was for us to cut the cake together with a chain saw, sending Smarties everywhere.

Actually, I'll not go on, but you get the picture. The only reason why we didn't go for it was because both of my (Puritanical) elderly parents would have had a stroke each. No way was the premature death of my parents going to ruin our wedding day, so we compromised - a bit.

Anyway, it looks like the bloke has made his mind up now, in any case. 

Glad you enjoyed it mate. I do have a long term girlfriend and we have 2 kids who are 5 and 6 so not so much drifting aimlessly as just not really interested in marriage. 

34 minutes ago, gherkin8r said:

Glad you enjoyed it mate. I do have a long term girlfriend and we have 2 kids who are 5 and 6 so not so much drifting aimlessly as just not really interested in marriage. 

Hello gherkin8r,

Yeah, I guess marriage isn't for everybody. If I'm honest, I never proposed to my wife, nor she to me. It really did just kind of happen. However, I get your point, in that I think loving harmony is much more important than any marriage certificate. You've got kids too. Hope that they are happy and well. Personally, I never wanted children. In that respect, my life has been a complete success! 

It sounds, to me at least, that you have a lovely family, and at the end of the day, that's really important. 

If you've got a ticket for Glastonbury this year, then I wish you a sunny (but not hot) warm one.

All the best.

K

• Like 1

23 hours ago, not worthy said:

Love this.....

Cheers