Glastonbury Oxfam WEDNESDAY 6th

marathonsteve

Don't think you'll get an exact time - I'm assuming that they're saying late morning rather than giving a specific time in order to try and prevent the total website meltdown they had last time.

So basically just a case of constantly checking in..

1 minute ago, Pinhead said:

Have they done this before in previous years? Never thought I'd see them struggling to fill Glasto slots...

Yes they have done it before, and there will be another chance after the resale as quite a few drop out then.

2 minutes ago, Pinhead said:

Have they done this before in previous years? Never thought I'd see them struggling to fill Glasto slots...

Yes, they have, though usually after resale day.. to be honest I don't think it's a case of struggling to fill because realistically they'll be gone in ~30 seconds.

My guess (and it's no more than a guess) is that they've finally worked through all the issues caused by the web site problems, and most of these places will be as a result of cancelling duplicate bookings.

Just now, Gilgamesh69 said:

Don't you have to have already done some festivals with them before to do Glastonbury though?

No -

For Stewarding (ie, this), there's no strings attached.

For Campaigning, there's a requirement to audition and to do at least one other festival during the year.

For Shop workers, there's a requirement to have worked at least 3 months in a regular Oxfam shop.

14 minutes ago, incident said:

Don't think you'll get an exact time - I'm assuming that they're saying late morning rather than giving a specific time in order to try and prevent the total website meltdown they had last time.

So basically just a case of constantly checking in..

Not drinking too much tea tomorrow so that I can’t be dragged away from my desk.

I heard, from an impeccably placed source, that it all went a bit South in 2017. Normally they over-recruit as they expect a certain percentage of no-shows etc. But pretty much everyone turned up in 2017, to the point where was genuine concern about if they had enough tickets to get all the volounteers in. A lot of worries that those staff who work at the oxfam base camp, offsite, wouldn’t be able to get access to the festival. 

Clearly, people are increasingly taking their volunteering commitments more seriously. Guess its a result of Oxfam etc tightening up their recruitment policies.

Could also be a result of the (growing?) demand for tickets. I've got a place with Oxfam this year and that's solely down to the fact that I'm ticket less. Looking forward to it actually, but there's no way I won't turn up - aside from the ethical issue of shafting a charity and the other volunteers, there's also the selfish point of view that I may well need to go the same route in 2020.

4 hours ago, hurdy said:

I've got a place with Oxfam this year and that's solely down to the fact that I'm ticket less. Looking forward to it actually, but there's no way I won't turn up - aside from the ethical issue of shafting a charity and the other volunteers, there's also the selfish point of view that I may well need to go the same route in 2020.

Pretty much the same as me.  I've worked with Oxfam before but always thought I wouldn't do Glastonbury that way.   When it came down to not having a ticket and feeling unoptimistic about the resale I got an Oxfam place.  I'm actually really looking forward to it - being on the farm extra time and before gates open and hopefully seeing bits of the festival I haven't before... and the cliché of giving something back after all these years.

Bring it on! :-)

10 minutes ago, themuel said:

If it’s saying shop only is that it done? 

It was the same for me but I kept refreshing the page and it then came up as just "Glastonbury" and then it was possible to select the stewarding position.  Good Luck!