How to get there Monday or Tuesday?

Justiceforcedave

Hullo! So after missing out in the first sale due to a postcode related database error (not human error!) me and wifey managed to bag some volunteer work which we’re very happy about!

Problem is there doesn’t appear to be anyway to get there on Tuesday :o

Anyone got any public transport suggestions beyond the train or know if they release more coaches closer to the time?

2 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Hullo! So after missing out in the first sale due to a postcode related database error (not human error!) me and wifey managed to bag some volunteer work which we’re very happy about!

Anyone got any public transport suggestions beyond the train or know if they release more coaches closer to the time?

Where are you travelling from?

Castle Cary is the nearest train station, but just looked up times, and it's a three and a half hour journey! (with 1 change)

But if thats an option, that will get you to within a few miles of the site, but the problem after that is that by tuesday the traffic management is likely to be in effect, so busses wont follow the normal routes, so you may need a taxi to get you to Gate A.

image.thumb.png.608da5a9f22a5929fdee0939356ef3ab.png

The free shuttle bus from Castle Cary to the bus station at Gate A does run on the Monday+Tuesday (albeit less frequently than on the public days).

However whether that's any use to you does depend on where your crew campsite is and whether you have any specific arrival instructions - some crews especially those camped outside the fence will require you to arrive at the crew campsite or at a specific gate in order to get registered and wristbanded - so arriving at Gate A may be problematic. In that scenario you'd have to walk the long way around the site on public roads which.

10 minutes ago, incident said:

so arriving at Gate A may be problematic. In that scenario you'd have to walk the long way around the site on public roads

As someone who's had to do that walk a fair few times, it's not so bad (if the weather is nice).  If memory serves, I did  Gate D to B in about 30 minutes without having to go on the roads, though that was marching at quite a pace and convincing the stewards to let me down access routes / closed roads.

Have the people you're volunteering for released information regarding travel / crew camping locations?  Usually they'll make some arrangements for people arriving on public transport to get you to the correct area.

5 minutes ago, DropBeat said:

I'm volunteering for the first time this year with Oxfam and travelling solo. Great to know the Castle Cary shuttle is still an option on Monday/Tuesday. :)

With Oxfam, you definitely do need to register first at the Oxfam Campsite - 5 minutes walk away from Gate B. So the Castle Cary shuttle will definitely put you in the wrong place and mean a walk around the outside of the site before you can get set up and accredited - may be best to look at other options first and then use that as a last resort.

3 minutes ago, incident said:

With Oxfam, you definitely do need to register first at the Oxfam Campsite - 5 minutes walk away from Gate B. So the Castle Cary shuttle will definitely put you in the wrong place and mean a walk around the outside of the site before you can get set up and accredited - may be best to look at other options first and then use that as a last resort.

Ah great, thanks for the info.

I've seen they're running their own bus service from Bristol for £25, so might look into that. But either way it's good to know there's a few options.

2 hours ago, DropBeat said:

Ah great, thanks for the info.

I've seen they're running their own bus service from Bristol for £25, so might look into that. But either way it's good to know there's a few options.

It's £25 now? That's gone up a bit. Still, definitely the easiest option though. Drops and picks up from Oxfam's field

That shuttle bus from Castle Carey seems to be what you need, but otherwise -

First Bus 376 goes from Bristol Temple Meads to Glastonbury Town and the 174 goes from Wells to Bath via Shepton Mallet. From either Glastonbury Town or Shepton Mallet it wouldn't be that far to taxi. I have taken both routes in the past and they did continue running in the lead up to the festival.

Well done on the volunteer work.

On 3/5/2019 at 8:40 AM, Justiceforcedave said:

Hey @Justiceforcedave so pleased to hear you'll be there after all following the T-day debacle! I was going to offer my services for the resale, but seems like you're sorted :) I will likely be on the website to help others, though, depending when the resale date actually falls. 

Edited by Zoo Music Girl

On 3/6/2019 at 11:03 AM, Zoo Music Girl said:

Hey @Justiceforcedave so pleased to hear you'll be there after all following the T-day debacle! I was going to offer my services for the resale, but seems like you're sorted :) I will likely be on the website to help others, though, depending when the resale date actually falls. 

Thanks so much again! You were legendary :D

We emailed the office, they confirmed that the post code was correct and saw no reason why it wouldn't work. To be honest my biggest fear was trying in the resale and then the same happening again! Weight of my mind that we don't have to take the risk.

6 minutes ago, Justiceforcedave said:

Thanks so much again! You were legendary :D

We emailed the office, they confirmed that the post code was correct and saw no reason why it wouldn't work. To be honest my biggest fear was trying in the resale and then the same happening again! Weight of my mind that we don't have to take the risk.

Yeah definitely! Chuffed for you :)