Keith Flint (Prodigy)

shuttlep

This has really knocked me today. You just don't think about how important artists are, and have been, until something like this happens. Proper sad that he took his own life. To feel that he wanted to do that. I echo the sentiments here about seeing your heroes, and reaching out to friends. 

Such a devastating loss to music. A true icon. 

• Upvote 1

I was only a kid when Firestarter etc was out. I remember seeing the music video on TV and being equally terrified and fascinated. Even at a young age you could feel the cultural significance of their music. It almost dared you to join in, invited you to the party and challenged you to never leave. An iconic band.

Just now, chatty said:

This is like a huge double blow now. 

Glastonbury should do the right think and release the line up to give us something to perk us up. 

I think it would be in pretty poor taste if Glastonbury did that. 

• Upvote 3

I’m remembering back to discovering The Prodigy which was on the back of the FOTL album. I recall purchasing the Breathe single on CD and discovering Poison courtesy of one of the bonus tracks. To this day it remains my favourite version of Poison. You can hear the distortion in the live capture and the sense of crazy in that performance is still tangible.

So so sad I’d have experienced them live for the first time in less than four months but now I never will. 

This is really crap news. The prodigy had a great career and it wasn’t just the old stuff that was great.

Their stuff from their most recent album was really good live. Found this video the band put up after the last set of UK shows. I could barely walk after the show for a week.

Edited by aidenlangan95
  • Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Wickedfaerie said:

This news has affected me more than I expected. I've just written a blog post as a little tribute if anyone wants a read:  https://whenigrowupblog.com/2019/03/04/my-little-tribute-to-keith-flint/

I was shocked when I heard, then I started reading about it and then I hit me.  I was 11 when Experience was released and was hooked ever since. A huge loss.

Like most people creeping towards/past their 40’s, they were a massive part of my youth. First saw them close Reading on a Friday in 96 (though RATM were headliners). Their show at Newcastle Arena in 98 was something else. I’ve not seen an arena floor bounce like that; usually it’s the front and the odd pocket with lairy punters but I was ¾ the way back and it was chaotic. Non-stop bouncing from start to finish. I kind of grew out of them the older I got but still caught them plenty of times at festivals.

As well as a front man he was an amazing dancer, watching him and Leeroy bouncing around the stage was incredible. What a miss he’ll be. 

• Like 1

Ooof.  A massive part of my teenage years, that's hit me quite hard.  Thanks whoever posted the Phoenix set above - that was my first ever festival, was down the front for their set. It was incredible. They played the next night in the dance tent too, which was even better.  Repeated gigs at Brixton and too many festival sets to mention...  What a performer!  

Thanks for all the happy memories Keith.  

• Like 1

Definitely a cross generational group. Massive in the 90s. Had a bit of a low time in the early 00s but when I was in secondary school when Invaders came out, it felt like they were the biggest band. Everyone knew them and everyone wanted to see them at Milton Keynes.

Took me until 2015 to finally see them but they were so good. Seem them 4 times including the last Ally Pally show and they were just consistently great.

6 minutes ago, aidenlangan95 said:

Definitely a cross generational group. Massive in the 90s. Had a bit of a low time in the early 00s but when I was in secondary school when Invaders came out, it felt like they were the biggest band. Everyone knew them and everyone wanted to see them at Milton Keynes.

Took me until 2015 to finally see them but they were so good. Seem them 4 times including the last Ally Pally show and they were just consistently great.

Exactly the same here, Invaders was huge at the time and I was about 15 when it came out. Never got to see them live, gutted.