The Nal

The 2019 Food Thread

Poutine! Wins the food festival for me this year.

Second place goes to the Rac Shack by Pyramid.

Big shoutout to the Falafel place below the Stone Circle, just waltzed up and was blown away.

Don't think we had a single bad meal this year, loved it!!

I hadn't remembered how few food stalls there were in Avalon/cabaret/circus. What has the fish and chip place got on whoever books them to warrant being the only food stall other than the cafe in cabaret? I know you can (and did) ×walk to other fields but it just seems a bit strange.

Was surprised as well by the price of beer in the Avalon inn. When the same beer was £1.50 less in the beer bus in T&C. 

Ah well another festival over and too few food places visited. There's only so many times you can eat! My favourite was No Bones Jones (lentil and chick pea curry) and the stall by Croissant Neuf whosename I can't remember.  And didn't get to the permaculture cafe this year😐

The pizza place in silver hayes opposite wow/sonic was really great. Dont usually bother with pizza at fests but this was proper wood fired and you could choose whatever you wanted on it. Got anchovies and £7.50 for a good size & quality pizza is ok with me!

had my first no bones jones and was not disappointed, lovely veggie fritters and 2 salads for £6, reasonable

Also had the deluxe diner sunday roast (beef) and it honestly did live up to the hype, it was utterly fantastic. Mind you it ought to be at £26 but youre paying for an experience. 

shout out to happy maki also in silver hayes. I was sceptical about vegan sushi (what, no fish?) but need not have been as it was fresh and tasty. It was their take on “duck” and hoi sin, lovely. Maybe slightly expensive at £8 but its quality.

hiked up to cheese truck in big ground and they never disappoint. Goats cheese honey walnut is an all time favourite festival food for me.

on the poorer end not very much squid for £7 at kraken, altho what was there was nicely done. Didnt actually have anything that could be considered not very good!

Edited by Memory Man

Had a good pie and mash in the Park and the chicken and wood-fired pizza in William’s Green never disappoint.

Found a meal deal in the bakery (bacon roll, doughnut and hot drink for a fiver) that set me up nicely on Sunday morning after the car park run.

The Split-Screen Ice Cream was delicious as always. Just a shame they sold out of rhubarb and custard flavour so early.

23 hours ago, Beerqueen said:

Was surprised as well by the price of beer in the Avalon inn. When the same beer was £1.50 less in the beer bus in T&C. 

And yet it was £6 for a large glass of wine, which is cheaper than any of the other bars!

I was devastated (no, not exaggerating) to find some imposter jerk stall across from the Bread and Roses where Uptown Catering used to be. I wandered every path with food stalls, I think, forlornly hoping to find them cheerfully turning out their saucy jerk and cans of ginger beer but nothing. Were they absolutely, definitely not there?

Our favourite food place was the Mac + cheese place between West Holts and the EE recharge place. It was between a burger stall and pizza stall. Honestly, that pasta was godlike

As others have stated, the paella place on Williams Green is fabulous, been a staple of mine for several years now.

Favourite "new" (for me) place this year was Halls Dorset Smokery in the park. That wrap was banging.

Peckish Peacock absolutely rocked my world. That Chickpea and Spinach Curry with the pakoras is nothing short of phenomenal

17 minutes ago, waltere said:

Favourite "new" (for me) place this year was Halls Dorset Smokery in the park. That wrap was banging.

Where was that? Usually between pyramid and other but cannot recall seeing it this year. 

There was a pizza place in the Tipi field that looked a lot like Tabun from the menu, was it them?

2 hours ago, Badlands said:

Where was that? Usually between pyramid and other but cannot recall seeing it this year. 

Run of stalls on the left as you enter the Park, opposite the relocated Rabbit Hole

The Cake Hole in the acoustic field YUMMY. I won a afternoon tea for 4, so had it twice, me & my partner.

Sticky Toffee pudding with caramel sauce & custard.

Proper Coffee in Williams Green, chocolate frappe. The best coffee on site.

The Big Red Bus for toasties at a good price.

9 hours ago, Badlands said:

They had two outlets this time - one in the main drag and one in the Park.

9 hours ago, T-Mouse said:

Peckish Peacock absolutely rocked my world. That Chickpea and Spinach Curry with the pakoras is nothing short of phenomenal

That was so good yeah. 

Hippy Chippy went to shit again this year. Greasy rubbish covered in woody uncooked dry rosemary fuck off 

Only bought four meals this year between two of us as we got through a lot of crew cheese baguettes. The usual amazing wood fired pizza in T&C, the bowl of mega onion bhajis, a stonking burger and chips cooked fresh to order from Block 9 and a permaculture plate of veggie goodness for the husband. 

Totted up my dessert intake this year, and it's fair to say that I had something of a sweet tooth on me. Can't think why...

2 x apple & cinnamon crumbles (one standard, one toasted nuts) w/custard from the Crumble Stand

1 x cherry chocolate brownie from Just Desserts

1 x Belgian Waffle with choc sauce & ice cream (can't remember where the waffle stand was)

1 x large churros & choc sauce from the place in the Park

1 x massive flapjack granola bar thing (god knows where)

3 x banana breakfast milkshakes, 1 x choc milkshake and 1 x nutella milkshake (all from Shake Shack)

1 x choc milkshake from Shaken Udder

Not so much a comedown this year as a sugar crash

Meal of the weekend for us (wife and I) was Thai Angle. Recommended by someone here. Outstanding. Pretty much as good as a meal in a box can get. 

The Goan Fish Curry breakfast kedgeree.  £8 for a smallish looking portion, but boy oh boy did it taste good with that hot sauce, and kept me going until evening.  Had to go back the next day for another.

There was a stall by the temple in the SE corner which served these open vegan chorizo wraps - all the proceeds went to helping refugees in calais(I think?) and it was incredible. Had the worst gas of my life afterwards but oh it was so worth it... TMI?

I think I must have been the only one disappointed by the Peckish Peacock.  Had the curry and pakoras just before Kate Tempest was on, just as they ran out of rice.  The promised extra roti didn't materialise, and the curry was thin and cold.  Pakoras were nice, though.

Maybe a one-off at  busy time?

8 minutes ago, BluePaul said:

I think I must have been the only one disappointed by the Peckish Peacock.  Had the curry and pakoras just before Kate Tempest was on, just as they ran out of rice.  The promised extra roti didn't materialise, and the curry was thin and cold.  Pakoras were nice, though.

Think so. The one I had was a little more watery than the one another in our group had earlier the day before which I had a bit of. Still tasty though. Good clean food too. 

Must admit, I hardly eat a thing at Glastonbury. I wake up and have a fat line of coke which normally does the trick.

The very rare time I will waste money on getting a meal, ill get a pie and mash, something stodgy just to put energy into me, I don't really care how it tastes.

Did anyone find Linda's loaf?  Spent ages wondering round looking to no avail! 

Edited by watsonjm

4 hours ago, BluePaul said:

No, I thought the same. Also their kitchen was filthy (not necessarily unhygienic but certainly stuff everywhere) when a I visited on the Sunday. Seemed like they had just given up trying to keep it in order.