The 2019 Food Thread

The Nal

Another year where small queues and hunger ruled over good taste for me.

Did have a lovely vegan paella up in the greenfields and an amazing sushi wrap in williams green but friday - sunday was a shit show in terms of what i ate.

I'm ashamed in myself, again.

11 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

My favourite meals were the paella in Williams Green, and a Indian chicken wrap in Theatre area. I also liked a goat curry facing the Truth stage, though would have personally preferred it without the bones.

Goat curry always has bones. In fact, that is the reason why I sometimes hesitate to order it, as if the guy serving you doesn't like you particularly much you just get a box of bones and rice. This happens frequently at Notting Hill Carnival .

52 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

My favourite meals were the paella in Williams Green, and a Indian chicken wrap in Theatre area. I also liked a goat curry facing the Truth stage, though would have personally preferred it without the bones.

See I much prefer mine to have bones in it.  Adds so much to the flavour!  Although there is definitely a level beyond which it takes the piss :lol:

54 minutes ago, Little Andy said:

try No Bones Jones :) 

7 hours ago, H.M.V said:

Urgh they were utterly awful weren't they. Absolute shite on a plate. I did a warning on this thread on the Wednesday evening. Ended up chucking my food away it was so bad. Thankfully my choices for the rest of the weekend were infinitely better. 

It’s hard to describe how unpleasant it was. I think it was the triple threat of chewy meat, burnt cheese and half-cooked potatoes. I did finish it (because I am a tight arse), but will avoid them in the future.  

9 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Anyone any recommendations from places near the John peel tent ? I like to have my meal in the evening back at the tent as it saves carrying some of my Diabetes gear around with me ... more room for cider :) 

The fried chicken place beside the beat hotel was excellent this year. That's as close to JP as I ate this year. 

9 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

Anyone any recommendations from places near the John peel tent ? I like to have my meal in the evening back at the tent as it saves carrying some of my Diabetes gear around with me ... more room for cider :) 

Half Man, Half Burger is pretty good. Not the best on site (because that's Eat The Farm between West Holts and Leftfield), but probably top 5. They're the airstream style van on the path between Beat Hotel & JP.

5 hours ago, incident said:

Half Man, Half Burger is pretty good. Not the best on site (because that's Eat The Farm between West Holts and Leftfield), but probably top 5. They're the airstream style van on the path between Beat Hotel & JP.

Yep had one of those and can confirm it’s good :) ... I also tried a bbq chicken meal from a stall a bit further down and it was absolute crap ... cold chunk of chicken , coleslaw and chips ... was described as different !! 

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 3:28 PM, jimbarkanoodle said:

Goat curry always has bones. In fact, that is the reason why I sometimes hesitate to order it, as if the guy serving you doesn't like you particularly much you just get a box of bones and rice. This happens frequently at Notting Hill Carnival .

But you seem so nice!  Who wouldn't like you?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Superunknown said:

Katsu Curry place at the back of the Other Stage was incredible. 

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Preach. Had their pumpkin curry and it was lush

I wish I'd discovered this. I cannot emphasise enough how close the version I was served at the Pyramid was to spoiling my festival. Cold curry! Who the hell thinks its a good idea to have the curry served cold. Like it was a ketchup, mayo or some other peripheral part of the meal, as opposed to being the key component binding the katsu chicken and rice together. I'm still angry about it now.

On 10 July 2019 at 1:26 PM, Steveyett said:

The Goan Fish Curry breakfast kedgeree.  £8 for a smallish looking portion, but boy oh boy did it taste good with that hot sauce, and kept me going until evening.  Had to go back the next day for another.

Yeah. They're brilliant. I've also done two in a festival before. Only trouble is the "breakfast" bit. They go all McDonalds and take it off the menu at midday. Haven't got there in time for one for at least a couple of festivals now. Got there one year, queued up for what seemed about half an hour, only to have the last portion sold to the person in front of me. They're missing a lot of sales there I reckon. Should be on all day.

On 10 July 2019 at 6:25 PM, Splatt said:

No, I thought the same. Also their kitchen was filthy (not necessarily unhygienic but certainly stuff everywhere) when a I visited on the Sunday. Seemed like they had just given up trying to keep it in order.

Don't start me off about health and hygiene at a festival in a field. It's hard enough to get a 5* hygiene rating in a bricks and mortar establishment. Some of the stuff I witnessed this year. Well? (I spent a number of years in industrial catering)...

I've often joked that the festival should add to it's title and call itself "The Glastonbury Festival of Performing Arts with Food". All it needs is a cooking stage/tent. Let's have Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall (Fearlessly-Eatsitall) show us how to trap gulls and fry them up with some herbs from the permaculture garden. Subbed by whatever sleb chef The Co-Op are using at the time doing a, "You can get all of the ingredients for this recipe here" routine.

Joking aside. Apart from the campervan crowd, does anyone actually still cook for themselves at Glasto? I used to see cooking stoves everywhere but they seem to have gone the way of campfires.

2 hours ago, Mr.Tease said:

What did people do for their last meal? I was so torn with indecision I ended up becoming a Tommy-two-dinners...

That was us for most of the festival. My husband and I did a lot of sharing so that we could have more meals. We shared nachos up at the park, a pakora/samosa platter at Avalon, the battered chips with curry sauce from the fire truck by the entrance to the acoustic field, churros from the park, paneer wrap from Bhati Man and creamy garlic mushrooms from hungry toad. 

I genuinely don't really remember eating much at all. I picked at leftovers and some bits of staff dinner when working, and I only ever ate about half of what was in front of me. Aside from that I can only really remember:

• Some fantastic freebie bread and butter pudding at No Bones Jones on Wednesday evening
  • A dreadful late night burrito from the place by Beat Hotel on Wednesday
  • A distinctly average curry from the Peckish Peacock (ate half of it) at Sunday lunchtime
  • Some of my wife's leftover (awful) mac and cheese from a place in Silver Hayes on Sunday afternoon

I can't help feeling I didn't do very well!

12 hours ago, MrZigster said:

Joking aside. Apart from the campervan crowd, does anyone actually still cook for themselves at Glasto? I used to see cooking stoves everywhere but they seem to have gone the way of campfires.

Nup. We had a wee stove and didn't even get round to using it for hot drinks. Main reason being WHERE WAS THE MILK TRUCK? It was as easy to wander to Proper Coffee and save the faffing as it was to go to a shop for milk.

Edited by scaryclaireyfairy